The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three rules:

1) hunger is your friend (easy)
2) eat according to the 1960's Canada Food Guide, and IGNORE ALL CURRENT BULLSHIT!! (easy)
3) find the thing that makes you gain weight (difficult)

Regarding rule #3:

My wife simply stopped eating sugar. Sugar only. Everything else is OK. (Lotta sugar out there...) As for me, I dropped ten pounds in a couple of weeks simply following rule #1 & rule #2, but then stalled for more than a year until I quit eating potatoes. Everything else is OK. (Last night I had three pastrami sandwiches for supper and four more for dessert! That's right, SEVEN pastrami sandwiches on white buns in one evening. This morning my weight was down by .8 lbs (from 170.6 to 169.8). The lowest since I started two years ago.) She avoids sugar and I avoid potatoes. When we indulge at a restaurant or social event, its a real treat.

Everyone is different, so don't be sucked in by the latest book, documentary, or stupid internet post. You need to experiment with rule three until you find the thing(s) YOU must avoid.

I refuse to respond to any posts submitted to this thread. There's the Kapn's advice. Take it or leave it.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Three rules:

1) hunger is your friend (easy)
2) eat according to the 1960's Canada Food Guide, and IGNORE ALL CURRENT BULLSHIT!! (easy)
3) find the thing that makes you gain weight (difficult)

Regarding rule #3:

My wife simply stopped eating sugar. Sugar only. Everything else is OK. (Lotta sugar out there...) As for me, I dropped ten pounds in a couple of weeks simply following rule #1 & rule #2, but then stalled for more than a year until I quit eating potatoes. Everything else is OK. (Last night I had three pastrami sandwiches for supper and four more for dessert! That's right, SEVEN pastrami sandwiches on white buns in one evening. This morning my weight was down by .8 lbs (from 170.6 to 169.8). The lowest since I started two years ago.) She avoids sugar and I avoid potatoes. When we indulge at a restaurant or social event, its a real treat.

Everyone is different, so don't be sucked in by the latest book, documentary, or stupid internet post. You need to experiment with rule three until you find the thing(s) YOU must avoid.

I refuse to respond to any posts submitted to this thread. There's the Kapn's advice. Take it or leave it.
"Whatever sinks your boat". I know the saying is "Whatever floats your boat" but when were talking about about weight, I think sinks is more appropriate. Congrats

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
I made two changes:

work out on a regular basis and eat right. The working out got my cardio going and my muscles used to working, while the eating right probably accounted for a lot of the loss. Proper portions (no more eating 2x the necessary calories in a meal just because) probably went a very long way as well.

I lost 60 pounds in less than a year. I'm back up to my old weight :)() but since I was in shape I don't look quite as out of it. I am though...

If people changed their diets they would probably notice a 10-15 pound loss within a couple of months. My kickers are bread and cheese, and I love them both. I know how to lose weight, I just haven't made any changes.

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
Be honest and informed on calories. Food calories are notoriously underestimated, and calories burned are grossly overestimated. That 15 minute walk gets you a carrot not a milkshake and fries.
Calories burned on that walk would depend on a number of things though. Was it flat or altering terrain? Did you flex your core and use (close to) full range of motion during the walk? What was the temperature outside during your walk?

Lots of variables. The big thing is to not get hung up on things and just stick to whatever it is you choose, at least for a while.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
It's funny how a lot of people over eat and don't even realize it! They ingest more calories then their body requires and are upset when the start gaining weight.

Your lifestyle plays a big part as to whether you gain weight or lose it! It's not rocket science.

I eat when I am hungry. I listen to my body.

I only eat until I am not hungry.

I eat about 8 or so tiny meals a day.

I try to eat as healthy as possible! I do have a hankering for a bag of Ms. Vickies and a slice of cheesecake about once a month.

I have gained a total of 5 lbs since I got married 33 years ago.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Burn off more calories than you consume.

Reactions: Lola

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
A buddy of mine was in a plane crash and ended up in the hospital for 6 months. He said it was the best weight loss program ever. He was totally ripped when he got out.
I don't know if you were serious here or just following my lead, either way, I smirked a bit and now I feel like an asshole.

·
Premium Member
8,577 Posts
I went through it once, to the tune of about 30 lbs. I did no extra activity, and really only did 2 things...keeping in mind that I eat 3 meals a day and some snacking.
-at meal time, and this most specifically means supper as I just have a bowl of cereal for bkfst and a sandwich for lunch most days, only eat until I was reasonably satisfied then push the rest away. No finishing a huge plateful that might be put in front of me.
-cut out pop, which for me is only generally 1 Pepsi a day.

I did no extra exercise, no limiting what types of foods. Spent very little time actually feeling hungry.

That was some years ago, and now I gotta do it again, though not to the tune of 30. I'd be pretty happy with 15, 25 I'd be pretty lean (not bodybuilder cut, but I'd need a bunch of new clothes). Been hard getting started for some reason.

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
The only thing you need to lose weight is determination, imo.
Well, that's the start of it.

Also, losing weight isn't necessarily difficult (example: I eat less bread, I probably lose 10 pounds easy). The hard part is keeping it off.

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
Well, that's the start of it.

Also, losing weight isn't necessarily difficult (example: I eat less bread, I probably lose 10 pounds easy). The hard part is keeping it off.
To me, that's all of it. If the hard part is keeping it off, determination will take care of it. You'll be determined to find a way, determined to keep it off, etc. etc.

To me, weight loss is all about the mind. I had to get into a specific state of mind to lose my weight and keep it off.

The diet thing is easy. Reduce your carb intake. Simple.

If you go all 'gung ho' you're probably going to fail. Just go easy, be realistic, and stay determined.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I hate eating. Pain in the a s s. Preparing meals is damn near a part time job. I work 45-50 hours a week. I really don't care too much about food quantity or quality. If I did I'd have to take up meal planning. Start with a future 7 day meal plan. Sunday nite. There blows 15-20 mins.

Then spend gobs of money at the grocery store. Fight with crowds. Bag your own food. Cringe at "Healty Organic Pesticide Free Natural Food" prices. Food for my wife and I. 2 hours are gone by the time I get groceries home and packed away.

Get up. 9 plus hours at work. Drag your mentally fried brain home. Need a beer and an hour to calm down from your daily dose of corporate stress.

Drag out the food. Prepare it. Every day. Make a mess. Take deep breaths and try to eat Hickama Eggplant Fish-Cakes. Clean up from meal. Wash dishes. Put away. Repeat every dinner. There goes 2 hours a day.

Turn around and it's 7:30 or 8. Now it's time for an hour of exercise. Shower. Hit the sack. Repeat for 40 years. Throw in kids. House and vehicle maintenance. Relationships with Spouse and Friends.

Where the heck do your favourite hobbies fit in? Are your wages going up to account for seemingly exponentially rising food prices? Mine aren't.

So...I don't eat like I should. I carve time out of my working family man provider's schedule. That time comes out of meal planning, preparing and eating.

I need to be a good husband. A good father. A good employee. A family mechanic, gardner and carpenter.

Guess who comes in at least 4th, maybe 5th? Being good to myself. Eating is a P I T A. Rant over. Been one of those "corporate days".

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
(example: I eat less bread, I probably lose 10 pounds easy)
I'm guessing that bread isn't really the issue but the amount of sugar used in the making of it. Sugar goes by many names and it may not be readily apparent. Sugar is what gives most things flavour but it's also a most insidious and addictive ingredient.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts