The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other then taking it to a shop whats the best way to do this.

I realize you need a good electronic tuner, screwdriver, patience.Make sure the strings are stretched well. You play an open A and tune it. Then fret it at the 12th and adjust the saddle to A. SHould be perfect. Repeat for all strings.

Thats my knowledge of intonating. IF this is how I do it why can't I get it to work? Any other knowledge or tricks I can use to do it successfully? Explain how you do it?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
imbackagain2 said:

I realize you need a good electronic tuner, screwdriver, patience.Make sure the strings are stretched well. You play an open A and tune it. Then fret it at the 12th and adjust the saddle to A. SHould be perfect. Repeat for all strings.

Thats my knowledge of intonating. IF this is how I do it why can't I get it to work? Any other knowledge or tricks I can use to do it successfully? Explain how you do it?
First tune the harmonic at 12th fret so that it's in tune, then you play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then the fretted note at the 12th fret, you then adjust the screw so that they both read the proper note. If the fretted note is sharp, the saddle must move away from the nut. If the fretted note is flat, the saddle must move towards the nut. Make small adjustments, tune the string so the harmonic note is perfectly in tune again and then try the fretted note again. etc etc

PS) my first verbage was incorrect, I've since fixed it. :confused:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I take all the strings off should I like level the saddles in the same spot. What screws am i to be turning? The two big ones on the top and the six little ones on the back of the saddle?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
imbackagain2 said:
When I take all the strings off should I like level the saddles in the same spot. What screws am i to be turning? The two big ones on the top and the six little ones on the back of the saddle?
The six on the back of the bridge. Don't level the saddles when you take the strings off, the intonation will come somewhat close when you buy the guitar. Just put new strings on and check the intonation and tweak as need be. Once set you can just throw on the same gauge and brand of strings without redoing the intonation. Check it if things sound out of wack over time. If you change gauge or brand check your intonation again.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
A little trick that comes in handy when doing my setups... I call it the "3F":

If the Fretted note is Flat, then move the saddle Forward. :cool:

·
Registered
322 Posts
The two big screws at each side of the trem, are for adjusting the action, or string height. This should be set BEFORE you touch the intonation, because if you adjust the string height after you intonate, you will have to intonate again.

String gauge could slightly affect your intonation. If you are going from 9-42, to 9-46, it probably won't need any major adjustment. However, if you are changing from 9-42, to 10-56, you will most likely need to re-adjust the intonation.

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
imbackagain2 said:

The following intonation setup process is included only as a "try it and see if it works for you". Even if you don't follow the direction fully, I find that there is enough information to help out with a more traditional intonation setup.
http://www.projectconsultants.com/GTsadllesPages/otherintonation.htm
The article does have a lot of usefull information...check it out.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
you would want the saddles to be at the same radius as the neck, ie, the same curve.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also be sure to check tuning / intonation with the guitar in playing position, not flat on a bench or table.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Way back in the dark ages when I did my apprenticeship as a music store cowboy, my boss (a luthier) told me never to remove all the strings at once if you are just doing string changing and intonation. Try to change them one a a time - it's less of a shock to the ole' neck!

Sometimes you have to if you are cleaning and oiling the fretboard or doing any fret work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts