The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sprayed some clearcoat over the top of a painted pedal to protect the finish, not realizing it was nitro

sure enough, over time, the rubber housing from cables etc sitting on it have wreaked havoc with the finish

any ideas for a stripper that'll take off the nitro, but not damage the paint underneath?

thx!

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
nitrocellulose is an explosive compound produced by the reaction of cellulose and nitric acid, or other strong nitrating agent. Nitrocellulose can appear as a pulpy, cotton-like solid when dry. It is a clear liquid to semisolid when dissolved in alcohol, acetone or an ether-alcohol mixture. The low-nitrogen form of nitrocellulose is soluble in acetone and an ether-alcohol mixture. The explosive, high-nitrogen form is soluble in acetone, but not in ether-alcohol mixtures. Nitrocellulose has a flash point of 12.7 degrees C (55 degrees F) and an autoignition temperature of 170 degrees C (338 degrees F).

So you can use Acetone (your girlfriends nail polish remover) Or you can use alcohol. Alcohol is probably safer as it wont try to melt any plastic.

Reactions: bolero and mawmow

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the problem is the paint on the pedal, underneath the lacquer

I don't want to use anything that will mess up the paint: thus acetone is out!!

probably lacquer thinner too

however if alcohol will take it off, I may try that, thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Acetone will remove a powder coat finish if allowed to soak.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah I suspected that....and the pedal isn't professionally painted either, just kind of flat black spraybombed.

But there are stenciled lettering/graphics etc I would like to preserve, it's kind of rare

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
If removing the nitro will potentially damage the finish and printing on the secondary layer here us what I would do:
1. Wetsand 600/800/1000 grit and clean the top layer of nitro to stabilize the poor finish. Only you know how thick the overspray was so be careful. Try not to disturb the original finish underneath.

2. Overspray with ACRYLIC lacquer clearcoat. Start with fine mist until a thin foundation is formed before putting on a more aggressive layer.

That should fix it and not potentially ruin the original paint.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is actually a good idea, thx!

it's ok to spray acrylic over nitro?

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
i would shellac first. shellac sticks to everything and everything sticks to shellac. But it is also alcohol based. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Laquer thinner on a rag and rub gently.
It will not be quick but it should allow you to get most of the laquer off and not disturb what’s underneath.

What’s the pedal?
You’ve piqued everyone curiosity!!

Nathan

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Laquer thinner on a rag and rub gently.
It will not be quick but it should allow you to get most of the laquer off and not disturb what’s underneath.

What’s the pedal?
You’ve piqued everyone curiosity!!

Nathan

built & signed by Gar

you can see where the cables sitting on top have started to eat thru the clearcoat

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
Are any others here seeing '[I M G]' (without the spaces) in the post instead of the pic? And if you Reply to the post, you see the image?

Something not right in corporate forum land, me thinks.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah weird...I noticed that but figured it was due to my cheapass hosting solution ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts