The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on some song ideas, but I can't sing for ****

in ppls experience here, what's the best way to find a singer, for original material?

thx

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Hey, there is always Craiglist or Kijiji. :eek: You might want respondents to send a Video. In the detail part of the ad you night want to note Ego limitations :rolleyes:

·
Registered
492 Posts
You need to make a number of things clear:
- Be specific about what you are seeking in terms of musical style. If you are seeking Joni Mitchell, don't waste Janis Joplin's time.
- Do you want the person to sing lyrics and melodies that you've already created or are you asking for someone to create their own?
- What is the goal of this? To play live? Record?
- State your experience in terms of a player, and playing with others ... and what you expect of the person you are seeking (if anything).
- if you're not free at all hours (who is?) what are your expectations/limitations in terms of meeting up?
- Others might disagree, but I would state my age in the ad. Many people would not be comfortable with a huge age difference between collaborators in a project.
- As Guncho said, a link to your material, and seeking the same from any prospective collaborator, will prevent you from potentially wasting each other's time.

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
I've always lucked into them; so I dunno. Semi-serious answers:

- poach one from another band (this sounds bad but maybe they've broken up or the singer can be in both)
- cruise karaoke nights (doesn't help as regards songwriting)

I mean other than that it's post an ad and audition people, just like any other band member.

Reactions: bolero

·
Premium Member
16,782 Posts
I'd need to know if it's just to record a track versus joining a continuing project before I can really answer. But if you just need someone for a song, just ask around - chances are someone knows someone who can do it.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
I was in the same dilemma a few years ago, so just worked on my singing until it got decent enough to croak my way through a tune :) I'm no Justin Beiber, but I can help you out if you like...just PM me.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
There are places where good singers go, choirs, teachers, stores, schools.

If you can find one good singer, they will know other singers.

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
Join Bandmix.ca That's where I found my singer, bass player and drummer. Although you need to pay a monthly fee to be able to message people but so far for me it is the best place to look for musicians. They charge $12/month. Once you get your singer, you can cancel your Premier Membership.

L

·
0 Posts
Karaoke nights at your local bar?
Approach the singer who's voice you like and pitch your idea.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Was going to say ask at Blockbusters...
Maybe ask any busboy at Denys?

That’s where singers are........

Pizza73 if for drummers..........

Reactions: bolero

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
But seriously, ask the music teachers at your local L&M.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
I have herd a lot of good signers at jams. I would hang around and see who is available.
I second this. With a special tip given to acoustic jams. There's something about the 'sitting around the campfire' atmosphere, the camaraderie, that gets people that wouldn't normally sing, to open up. I've seen it so many times. Start of the night: "No, I just want to listen". Two hours later, they are wailing away to Hotel California or Paradise by the Dashboard Light. And sometimes they're pretty damn good. Mics and stages, separation of performer and audience, puts a lot of those people off.

You can also go The Committments route: attend lots of wedding and look for that 'gem in a pile of rocks' leaning on the bar and singing along with the band at the other end of the room.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thx everyone, some good food for thought

Commitments was a great movie

what the hell ever happened to that guy, anyway?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts