The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

How songs would sound if there was no repetition?

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  mr trick 
#1 ·
Since I heard that what makes us like a song is the number of times the chorus repeats I've been wondering what the famous songs would sound d like if they followed the opposite rule, so I did the test. What do you think?

#11 ·
Some that I can think of that would be pretty short;
Beatles - All You Need is Love, Give Peace a Chance.
Max Webster - Diamonds.
I might try some Rihanna and Beyonce next, that should end quick ;)
Anything by Gwen Stefani, Justin Bieber. Missy Elliott (get your freak on). Most pop really.

Reactions: amagras
#12 ·
Cool experiment!

The seemingly tried and true structure for pop/rock is verse #1, chorus, verse #2, chorus, (optional solo) verse #3, chorus, and repeat something till fade, or dead stop like most of AC/DC's stuff. Blue Rodeo almost always go verse #1, verse #2, chorus (some type of musical breakdown) chorus, verse #3, then a variation on the chorus till fade. I think we want catchy.... whatever it is that means "catchy" to us as individuals. (I'm not)

But Johnny Cash is something else.... A Boy Named Sue, and Folsom Prison Blues have no chorus. Just lotsa verse's. And they are both very catchy! But also both quite repetitive.

my $0.02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.