The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, You have probably heard amateur singers and thought “wow, they really can’t sing!” But what is it i am reacting to.

what could that person change about their singing to sound good?
What advice could you give them on how to get better at singing?
i think sing with confidence, good technique, and consistency.Your practice tips on how to improve your singing voice will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,867 Posts
Although I like to think I'm a person who follows and respects science and reason, there are some things that can't yet be explained, or at least I have never heard a satisfactory explanation for them.

What makes a voice musical or endearing? I mean, some of the worst singers (technically) are the ones we seem to love the most.

Every time I hear Dylan singing Tangled Up in Blue I want to laugh and cry at the same time.

I'm not a great singer, but I did manage to improve my voice over the years, largely out of necessity.

Can't find a singer? No problem, make one.....

The way to improve your voice is to have confidence and to sing. The more you do it the better you get.

I know, thank you Captain Obvious, but that's the only advice I can offer is to sing.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
I usually tell people to find a good vocal coach. I know some pretty good ones in Ottawa. But the bottom line though is, if someone can't sing, any training whatsoever can't change that. And for those who are lucky enough to be able to sing, like any other thing, practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
642 Posts
I would say practice singing with authenticity, confidence, emotion/passion, evocative phrasing, and consistency.

Find a vocalist whose songs you naturally sound good singing. Practice singing their songs.

Make sure to learn how to breathe properly and not damage vocal cords. A formal lesson or maybe a YT lesson for this.

Sent from my A3_Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
I need this thread.

I used to be able to tune a guitar to international pitch by ear. Now a tuner is a must. Though never a great singer, at least I could "carry a tune". Now when I listen to playback I can hear all kinds of pitch issues that I could not hear while singing. Not too bad if I am only singing and it has my full concentration, but soon as I am playing too... look out! Covid is suggesting a solo act, but my first attempts have been discouraging.

Too old, give up? I am seventy.

Use pitch correction? Ugh. Still, I do have it... never tried it.

Vocal coach? Not available.

Find a vocalist? Not much choice in this area.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I second the idea of a vocal coach. I've sung since I was a teenager and some days I was okay. I few years ago I hired a coach and that has made a huge difference. I had to relearn how to breathe and I'm learning how my mouth position and the various muscles in my face affect the timbre of my voice. I've also had to overcome forty years of bad habits. It's been quite a journey.

I believe that if you can speak and understand speech, then you can learn to sing. (So does my coach.) But for some, it can take a long time.

The things that turn me off in other singers are poor (or no) pitch control and poor diction - I want to understand the words.

·
Premium Member
16,867 Posts
A few years ago I did a little recording of some a capella sea chantys. That was a great experience in ear training.

I would say another thing that helped me was the ear lab course I took while in the Jazz program at Mohawk College.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Now when I listen to playback I can hear all kinds of pitch issues that I could not hear while singing.
I believe this is true. I'm in a hobby band, and when we started using just an iPhone to record at rehearsal, it was an eye opening (ear opening?) experience. I'd say the most common problem is being flat. Followed closely by attempting to sing out of your range.

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Another vote for vocal coach - one helped me a lot years ago. There are tips and tricks you can use for singing, for practicing, all sorts of ideas out there.

But if you are tone deaf - if you can't hear 'in tune' from 'out of tune' - no coaching in the world is gonna help. You will always be off because your feedback loop is broken.

Reactions: Chito

·
Premium Member
9,762 Posts
A few years ago I did a little recording of some a capella sea chantys.
I remember when you sent me that. I thought that it was amazing.
Would you mind sharing it here for all to enjoy?

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
I need this thread.

I used to be able to tune a guitar to international pitch by ear. Now a tuner is a must. Though never a great singer, at least I could "carry a tune". Now when I listen to playback I can hear all kinds of pitch issues that I could not hear while singing. Not too bad if I am only singing and it has my full concentration, but soon as I am playing too... look out! Covid is suggesting a solo act, but my first attempts have been discouraging.

Too old, give up? I am seventy.

Use pitch correction? Ugh. Still, I do have it... never tried it.

Vocal coach? Not available.

Find a vocalist? Not much choice in this area.
The singer in our band is taking lessons via Skype or something similar. It's helped a lot. Maybe that's an option for you? I took lesson both in person and through an on-line course with Guitar Tricks.

·
Registered
24,745 Posts
Autotune.

But seriously, better singing rests on a few pillars:

1) Good breath control;
2) An awareness of lyrics, melody progress, and how to insert appropriate dynamics into them;
3) Muscle memory and the unconscious tactile feedback from throat to brain.

The first two can be improved upon with coaching and and practice. Some folks who are far from "great" singers can go far, simply by understanding the song and executing it well.

The third, sadly, is not quite as amenable to practice...at least what we might consider to be reasonable dedication. Singing is very much an exercise in muscle control. Some folks have the proprioceptive and tactile feedback capacity to execute fine control over what's in their throats. Same way some folks have excellent sensory feedback, and muscle control that allows them to be great dancers, whether ballet or more social forms. Twenty years back, I had oral surgery to remove all 4 wisdom teeth. Pre-surgery, they told me there was a risk of some nerve damage, and the predictions were correct. And because of diminished sensation in my mouth (on the left side), I am constantly misjudging things unless paying VERY close attention, and bite my tongue and inner cheek constantly. Integration and processing of sensory information CAN be improved with practice and attention - just like learning to pedal and steer on a bike - but there are natural limits imposed by the quality and abundance of sensory information relayed back to our brains.

·
Premium Member
16,867 Posts

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Although I like to think I'm a person who follows and respects science and reason, there are some things that can't yet be explained, or at least I have never heard a satisfactory explanation for them.

What makes a voice musical or endearing? I mean, some of the worst singers (technically) are the ones we seem to love the most.

Every time I hear Dylan singing Tangled Up in Blue I want to laugh and cry at the same time.

I'm not a great singer, but I did manage to improve my voice over the years, largely out of necessity.

Can't find a singer? No problem, make one.....

The way to improve your voice is to have confidence and to sing. The more you do it the better you get.

I know, thank you Captain Obvious, but that's the only advice I can offer is to sing.

Mick Jagger has to be one of the worst singers in the world but man I love the stones. I've heard some singers that are technically near perfect and I can't stand listening to them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
ditto vocal coach

Also, find a place you can practice singing as loud and as freely as you want without anyone hearing you. I spent a winter in a log cabin in central Yukon -- the chance to just sing without worrying about what I sounded like was huge. Singing in the car is good.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I usually tell people to find a good vocal coach. I know some pretty good ones in Ottawa. But the bottom line though is, if someone can't sing, any training whatsoever can't change that. And for those who are lucky enough to be able to sing, like any other thing, practice, practice, practice.
This. This right here. People really seem to think going to a vocal coach is some sort of waste of money. It's no different than taking guitar or piano lessons. Can you learn to be a great singer on your own? Sure - much like any instrument you can learn without lessons. But some people need some professional guidance. It's also completely OK to be a self taught player and be unable to self learn singing. It's a different skill set.

For two decades I thought I was hopeless when it came to my voice. I always loved to sing, but was so bad that I couldn't even do harmonies or backing vocals competently. (My moment of shame was way back in an earlier band where during rehearsal my bass player reached over mid-song, grabbed my mic stand, and bent the boom arm down so that the mic was near the floor.) About 3 years ago I actually went and took singing lessons with a local instructor. Turned out I COULD sing on pitch, but I needed to be trained how to do it. I'm still not the most amazing singer, but I can now competently do lead on a song or two and sing backups.

Yes, yes, "confidence" and all that. But it's hard to be confident when you have no training or developed skill on how to find or stay on pitch. Take the lessons, build the foundation, and then go nuts. Singing lessons don't cost any more than any other music lessons.

·
Premium Member
9,762 Posts
Now for something like this. Not too sure what to recommend.
Not sure which of the two was more cringe worthy.
Even the host left the stage at one point. lol

1 - 20 of 59 Posts