The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new set the other day. I think the last time I changed them was in 2011.

What nylon strings do you guys use?

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
So you are parting with an average of ~$2.25 per year (taxes included) for classical guitar strings!

Rein that in!

Think of your children's future, their education, your mortgage, your retirement.

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you are parting with an average of ~$2.25 per year (taxes included) for classical guitar strings!

Rein that in!

Think of your children's future, their education, your mortgage, your retirement.
I know....I'm a horrible person.

Let's make matters even worse, shall we?

I bought two other three packs of electric and regular acoustic strings, so I spent almost $60 on strings. :(

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Last time I changed the strings on my classical guitar was about 5 years ago. They are still like new mostly bcs I've played it about twice in the last 5 years.

·
Premium Member
4,300 Posts
I never changed the top three. They take too long to stretch. Replace as needed. Not much Tone difference.

Bottom three. Use - then - change bridge end with headstock end and restring.

When color changes or fret rubs go thru the winds, change.
Learned that while touring Spain.

·
Registered
14,885 Posts
I'd have to check--but I change them when they show wear and don't want to stay in tune well--after the initial stretching in period.

But it also depends on how often you use it...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I've had my classical since 89 and I have changed them 4 times tops. I hate changing strings and luckily my hand sweat is not acidic.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I would say I change them as needed, around two or times a year as the bass side show wear marks or rush.

I once had to change rapidly a new set suggested by a friend because they rusted really fast (nearby salted sea water).

Some are reluctant to change nylon strings because they take time to stabilize : do not hesitate to make a true knot nearby the winder so you can cut out the unnessary lenght. Once winded, pull the string as a bow string for 2cm (1 inch) to thighten it and tune the guitar. Strings should then stabilize within a week.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
D'addario hard tension, usually 2 or 3 times a year. When I take spurts of playing my Multiac a lot I try to change them after a month, the wrapped strings usually let go after about 6 or 8 weeks of heavy use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts