1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16090763063567021483707208581162.jpg
1609076342359372271821492316986.jpg
16090763934376806376192189625474.jpg

Hey there, I'd like to know how much this guitar is worth... and why.
/Squire Strat 20th anniversary.

Thanks for your help

dxtrsnstr

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Not much. I bought a 20th anniversary for $140 2 years ago. I'd hazard a guess yours is likely in the affinity range. It's not a classic vibe or vintage modified. Usually it tells you the line on the ball of the headstock, but the Squier 20th anniversary was an affinity. At least mine is/was.

·
Registered
196 Posts
To expand more on what acoustic Tom has said by adding a buyer's perspective, I watch Kijiji looking for bargains on cheap guitars, and I don't even buy most of them. I just like looking at low prices and knowing what the guitar market is like because I like knowing what my guitars in general would be worth if I'm trying to sell them or what people would try to buy them for, if I bought a cheap guitar. I have at least one sub-$100 guitar, right now it's an Ibanez GAX30 that someone gave me for free. If somebody is constantly reposting a guitar then it's a good sign that that guitar is not selling for some reason. That reason is usually the location of the seller, the condition of the guitar as implied by the photos or the unwillingness to negotiate on price.

Based on all of this, my buying price for a squier Stratocaster is $60 - $80. If I needed one to give as a gift or to turn into some sort of project or if I lost or gave away or traded away my beater guitar for some reason, that's what I would pay. I would not be in any sort of hurry to buy the guitar (because I'm already happy with my current guitars) and I would not even look at the ads that are posting at an initial price of more than $100. When I buy guitars nowadays, I always try to protect my resale value, whereby I can get in at a low enough price so that if I have to offload the guitar, I can do so without losing too much money or without losing any money. As such, if I were looking for a squier Stratocaster, I really couldn't be bothered as to whether they were 20th anniversary or some signature edition or not, I would just go for the ones that are posted in that range and ignore all the other ads who want more for their squiers.

If you posted that guitar at $150 and you were willing to wait for a month, or if the market was hot because people are buying for Christmas or they are buying for the start of summer or something, whatever the trends may be.. you'll probably get $150 for it but you will have to sit there and entertain a bunch of low ballers and a bunch of people asking if it's still available and then never getting back to you, which is a whole different kind of frustration on its own if you're not used to it. If you posted it at 100 it would sell in a week or two.

I tried posting an M80 a while back for 150 after some brief searching for pricing info, and it didn't work out, nobody offered on it. So? I lent it out to a friend (I only paid 80 bucks for the thing) and then I got it back from them to trade it for an Orange micro terror and 1x8 cab. That same buyer then put it up for 380 or 350 the next day! Would they be more successful than I would? Maybe, who knows, I wasn't sure what the value of the guitar was but to me, its relative value made it worthwhile to trade it away for a small tube amp and cabinet, because I have guitars but I don't have a tube amp. The gear I got in trade was , afaik, valued at about $300 on the used market based on what it sold for on reverb. And when I tried selling the guitar for much less, nobody even offered on it, even when I posted it on reverb. This is an example of how, to be able to objectively accurately value something, you have to get somebody to try to buy it or give you a deal for it.

If you don't want to sell the guitar and you just want to know what its monetary value is, then you couuuld post it on Kijiji for $200 OBO and say the price is "negotiable", and keep dropping the price every week until someone makes you an offer on it. I wouldn't suggest actually doing this, it's more of a thought experiment, but Whatever offer you get is, to crystallize what acoustic Tom said ... what the guitar's current monetary value is. You shouldn't post stuff on Kijiji that you don't want to sell, but this is overall meant to give you an understanding of how anyone values any items on the used market. Guitars , bikes, knives, it's all about what someone has paid for it most recently and it's all about what someone will pay you right now for it.

If you kept the guitar and you learned to play on it or maybe you already know how to play and you play it out and wear it out, take it to gigs, play in a band ... You will have extracted a lot more value out of it than any of these Kijiji sales could bring you for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts