The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No guessing allowed. Try to get a good weigh in and state make and model. I know mine weighs a ton.

·
Registered
944 Posts
13LBs.

Make/model unknown. Not even a country of origin on it. Woods (mega-ply baltic bitch body, red cedar neck with rosewood fingerboard) and cyrillics on the original tuners suggest late 60's Russian (body/neck/PU are the only thing original on it now though).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Being the old guy that I am, I tend to favour instruments that weigh 10lbs or less. Two of my three Wal basses weigh less: a Mk.I 4-stringer which weighs 9lbs. 4oz, the beech Mk.III 5 which weighs 8.5lbs, although the third (MkII fretless 5) is about 11lbs.

My "go to" bass these days is a wenge Peavey Cirrus 5 which tips the scales at 10lbs even.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My G&L L-1000 weighs about 11 lbs.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Bass weight

Biggest I ever caught was a little over 5 lbs...

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 57RI Precision - 8lbs. My Geddy Jazz - 9 lbs. I plan on ordering Ultra-light vintage tuner for both basses and adding a HipShot extender to both as well so the weight will change somewhat.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Guild SB-666 - 6 pounds.
Guild SB-666 - 7 pounds.
Jackson Concert Custom - 8 pounds..........

·
Registered
324 Posts
SX SPJ 62 in VW - about 8.5 pounds. It feels lighter than my (mahogany) guitar... it's supposed to be made of alder.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Felt Like a Dork On my Bathroom Scale with my Bass in My Hand!

My Fender "Geddy Lee" Jazz bass weighs 9 lbs, 3 oz. Of course, not that accurate when standing on a bathroom scale with and without it.

It also told me that I have to workout a bit more!

·
Registered
324 Posts
My Fender "Geddy Lee" Jazz bass weighs 9 lbs, 3 oz. Of course, not that accurate when standing on a bathroom scale with and without it.

It also told me that I have to workout a bit more!
LMAO! I just put my bass on the scale and sort of let it lean on me a little.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally found my fish scales.

Schecter Stiletto - basswood body maple neck rosewood board - 9lbs. 4oz.

My ToneBasdard 4 - Maple top Poplar core maple neck ebony board 11lbs. 3oz.

Parts bass in the works. I put all the pieces in a pillow case and wieghed them. Missing preamp and strings and battery. Swamp ash body maple neck ebony board - 8lbs. 2oz.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 1979 Ibanez Musician bass weighs in at a chunky 11.5 LBS. She's a big girl, but I love her down low.

Bry Stones

·
Registered
163 Posts
i weighed my ibanez SR400 on a scale and it said it was 11 pounds. i thought it would have been abit lighter.
I actually have a hard time believing that an Ibby would weigh that much. But hey! The best scale to weight a bass is a fish scale or a digital food scale (industrial size). Either that or weigh yourself and then do it again but holding the bass and calculate the difference. Mind if I ask what method you used? My son has the SR300DX and I don't think it weighs more than 8lbs. I'll weigh it next time he is in town.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I actually have a hard time believing that an Ibby would weigh that much. But hey! The best scale to weight a bass is a fish scale or a digital food scale (industrial size). Either that or weigh yourself and then do it again but holding the bass and calculate the difference. Mind if I ask what method you used? My son has the SR300DX and I don't think it weighs more than 8lbs. I'll weigh it next time he is in town.
I just put the bass on it, I didnt think it would be very accurate. I dont think the scales very great anyways. whats the SR300DX like?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just put the bass on it, I didnt think it would be very accurate. I dont think the scales very great anyways. whats the SR300DX like?
He really likes it. It sounds pretty good IMO and is really light. Very fast neck and well balanced sitting or standing. I'm hoping to borrow it for one of our longer shows to see how it does. He tends to play, and this makes me chuckle, either jazz or death metal. Glad he branches out but talk about two very different styles :) He can get a good fat sound out of it for the jazz material and then he cranks the pre to max output for the metal and it seems to sit well with what he plays.

·
Registered
213 Posts
He really likes it. It sounds pretty good IMO and is really light. Very fast neck and well balanced sitting or standing. I'm hoping to borrow it for one of our longer shows to see how it does. He tends to play, and this makes me chuckle, either jazz or death metal. Glad he branches out but talk about two very different styles :) He can get a good fat sound out of it for the jazz material and then he cranks the pre to max output for the metal and it seems to sit well with what he plays.
the sr400 weighs 9 pounds and my sr400 is really good too. the neck is so thin and you can get any kind of sound out of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts