The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of only playing acoustic i've spent the last few weeks with a new electric guitar learning what implements people use, which ones they can get by without and most importantly why.
It seems like the costs range from $250 for a Katana 50 like I bought up to thousands of dollars. I can't help but to admire the fancy, expensive setups that would go to waste on me but out of curiosity, what are people spending on their favourite combo amp or head and cabinet set up for home use only?

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
I'll drop $3k if I have $3K. I've had $3k once hahahah.

Honestly you can get professional world-tour grade amps for $1500 or less on the used market all day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll drop $3k if I have $3K. I've had $3k once hahahah.

Honestly you can get professional world-tour grade amps for $1500 or less on the used market all day.
at 3k I imagine you could play a show for anyone inside 300 feet of your place from your basement without even trying to lol.
I can see how easy it would be though, a sweet head and cab can bring you there almost effortlessly.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I bought my Yamaha DG-80 for 1200$ new 20 odd years ago. I’ve done hundreds of gigs with it. From small stages to big concerts. So many people use a 1-12 combo and tour with them too. How many people ask for a Fender Deluxe as backline.
I’d say you could get a nice gigging amp for 500 used.
Don’t start me on pedals and effects though.;)

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
at 3k I imagine you could play a show for anyone inside 300 feet of your place from your basement without even trying to lol.
I can see how easy it would be though, a sweet head and cab can bring you there almost effortlessly.
Nothing to do with volume, just features and sound.

·
Premium Member
10,933 Posts
I've always preferred a combo with extension cab. The Traynor YCV20 and YCV 50 in the past, and now YCV40 have all done great work for me. When I need small, the combo works, when I need big the combo and cab gets the call, when I need bigger I mic it through the PA. Even new any of these rigs are affordable, but used ones are easily found.

As for effects, I manage okay with a basic multi unit (Boss ME80 now, but I've had others) and a couple of additional ones like a volume pedal, and a dedicated wah.

·
Registered
24,352 Posts
Reissue Fender Deluxes are routinely advertised on Kijiji for well under $1k. Tens of thousands of working musicians who rely on them can't be wrong. The Blues Jr. and Bluesbreaker also fall into that category.

L

·
0 Posts
I have 3 guitar and 2 bass amps. All under $1K each.
Traynor Ironhorse through a custom made Forte 3D 112 clone cab with Celestion Classic Lead 80,
80's Marshall 5275 112 combo (Celestion Sidewinder) and a recently acquired Boss Katana 100 112 combo.
Even though it's a SS amp, the Marshall's my favourite for jamming.
Once auditioned for a band with this and the bassist commented that I had a better sound
than the other guitarist who was playing through a Mesa Triple Rec and 412 cab.

Bass is a 80's Fender BXR300 115 combo and Markbass Jeff Berlin 115 combo.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
What I use mostly at home is my Maz 8 head with a Traynor Darkhorse 2x12 loaded with a couple of WGS speakers.
I also have a Mini Jubillee head through a Zbest cab with V30s, both of those rigs are around two grand.
The "band rig" is a YGL1 and DH 1x12 cab with Webers, around fifteen hundred tied up in that.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
$0 on amps.

I sold all my amps and just play though Guitar Rig 4 on my computer. I can't tell the difference at bedroom volumes.
Ive got a Traynor YCS 90 that I never play since I’ve discovered the modelling amps on my zoom G3. I don’t know how accurate they are to the apps they are modelled after, but they sure sound great to me

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
I've spent way past my ability. But I'm single and can't take it with me. As long as the bills are paid

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
i've been using the same set up for years. it works well for me. i have a vht special 6 (not the ultra) sitting on a real nice 1x12. my board is really basic, just a tuner, overdive, fuzz, delay, vibe. it covers anything i want to do, and sounds really good. however, it does have a sweet spot. if i crank it wide open it doesn't sound nearly as good. at useable house volume i'd put it up against anything else. i might have $500 in the amp & cab. most of it is in the cab. when i find what i want, i will add a 2nd amp to split my signal, like robin trower does. i'm in no hurry though. the used market here is complete shit, so it's one of those things where i just need to act quickly when the right opportunity appears. you folks don't know how lucky you are. if you want to see how bad it could be, just look at craig's list delaware under musical instruments.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
$100? Peavey Bandit 112. $200? Roland Cube, old orange one.
Free from a friend, 20 year old Digitech multieffects pedal Rp200 or something. Has a foot pedal and I program it to sound like all sorts of stuff. All the stock programs sound terrible!!
All more then enough to make noise in the basement. The Peavey is new to me, and now that I’ve used it I’d say $200 or under for a good clean working one is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
11,828 Posts
I did a gig last night with a Deluxe Reverb (bought for way less than $1000), about $600 worth of pedals and a couple of guitars that were both under a grand (Fender Tele and Dean Z). Sometimes I take gear that's easily worth double or triple that.

It isn't about the value of the gear (or how loud it gets, that's generally irrelevant to me). It's about where I'm playing and what I want to with the gear - but mostly about how it inspires me to play and perform my best. I'm lucky to have the options I have.

Reactions: NoEncores

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
How much am I throwing down?
The last amp I bought (Boogie MkV-35 combo) was $2,800 plus tax.
That was about a year ago and I am very happy with it.
That was one of the lesser expensive amps I've owned.

Reactions: NoEncores

·
Registered
137 Posts
For home use only? Not recording, just playing to yourself? I'd ask the question back to you...what level of acoustic guitar is pleasing to you, your budget and your playing environment? $500 or $5,000?

Some people are happy with the very Katana 50 you currently have. It's budget-friendly, doesn't need to be played uncomfortably loud to sound its best, and has good flexibility in the types of sounds it can imitate. It's a much better starter amp than the stuff many of us began with.

Others go the modeling amp route, which for $2400 plus an extension cab might make you happy. They've come a long way in sound replication, and have all the tones and recording potential in one box...unless you're a tube purist. Ahem.

Personally, I went from multiple tube amps down to one. I sold all the other glowing glass boxes and am very happy with my Tone King Sky King. It only took me 25 years of trying, buying and selling to get there ; ) But they're not cheap, and aren't the solution for everyone.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts