The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is somewhat on topic, yet tongue-in-cheek at the same time.

Could this be GuitarsCanada's first parody?

An interesting question, no? The other thread, and Greenman's reply made me think.

I've never owned or played a bass that wasn't stock for 20+ years playing. I accepted the basses I owned for what they were - nothing more and nothing less. I've owned basses worth about $250 to basses worth probably $5000 if I were to buy them now, and never thought (or dreamt) of modding them.

Yet, I was always "searching" for my sound. 2 FBasses, surely worth close to $10,000 if I were to commission George to build me them today, and I was "take or leave it" towards them; I eventually left them.

I've bought and modded 4 SX basses this last year and found myslef enjoying bass more than ever. Don't get me wrong, they're not THAT good. Now granted, if I had the $, I'd spring for something better & custom made off the hop, but have really found that modding something to be "more me", brings me more satisfaction, like the instrument is finally an "extension of me".

·
Registered
328 Posts
Non-modded gear

When it comes to basses or amps that I gig with, I never mod them....unless you call changing to flatwound strings a mod.

I never change pickups or tuning machines or bridges. I have owned a Gibson bass where a previous owner installed a Badass bridge. But no, although I am a tinkerer, I don't chose to mess around with "working" tools of the trade.

I've built some amps and a telecaster from Warmouth and played with different tube amp configurations, many of them, but that was never equipment used for gigs....just for fun around the house.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The only "modding" i do to basses is adding flush sitting strap locks, other than that i havent really looked into making any major changes to my instruments. Although i may in the future

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'll use my 2001 Fender American Deluxe J as an example. I bought it used and it was stock with the Fender Noiseless pickups. I really love this bass - the construction and quality is flawless, the neck is awesome, and I really enjoy playing this bass. Just feels great when I have it on. Anyway, I've had it for awhile but the only problem was the tone. I REALLY tried to adapt to the sound of the Noiseless pickups. I tried playing with my amp's EQ, also the onboard EQ and I just couldn't get a sound that was what I wanted. I found myself playing my MIM J instead because it sounded way better (with the Quarter Pounder pickups I have in it) than the ADJ.

So, instead of dumping the ADJ and looking for something else, I decided to change the pickups. I love the look and feel of the instrument, so why not do a mod that will alter the tone to what I'm looking for?

Also, I feel like modding makes the instrument more... mine. It's custom for my sound. I'm not at all concerned with the resale value because once I buy an instrument I pretty much have no intention of ever selling it.

Before I ever did my first mod, I was really nervous about it. What if I messed it up? What if it sounds worse? What if I can't get it back to the way it sounded before? The first thing I ever did was a pickup change on my MIM J and it sounded so incredible afterward I got the mod bug.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i dont think i'd mod any of my basses, though i might get a new neck for my Peavey BXP Millenium 5-string, but that is only a thought

·
Registered
737 Posts
Of course being left-handed, I have modded many basses over the years. Nut, bridge, strap button, etc.
Now *all* my instruments are L-H so I don't need to do any of that but my P-bass has EMG's now to improve the tone over the cheapo Squire pickups. My old EB-0 got a bridge pickup and switch. But the Stiletto needs no mods whatsoever, awesome as it is. Oh! I did put a butterfly sticker on it to signify that my MONARCH mind-control program has been activated after being dormant for 30yrs, I'm the "Manchurian Bass-Player". None

1 - 7 of 7 Posts