The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thread discussing practice volume had a lot of good points which led me to create a thread similar to that topic. How many hours a week do you spend practicing? Now that I'm done jazz school it's about 3-5 hours a day. What about you fellas?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Practising as in following a course and learning something I didn't know before (which is everything btw). About an hour a week. Just noodling around and practising barre chords, scales, chords, fingering, etc. about 2 hours a day.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Right now I'm in the middle of doing an exercise everyday that is getting me on the guitar.

The last few days I haven't done much more than that few minutes, but over the last month and a half I've been doing a half an hour or as many as three or four hours.

I don't think I'm using that time very well, though.

Over the last several years I haven't been playing more than a couple of times a month.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I've been off work for 6 weeks so I've been trying to do two hours a day when my ribs can handle it. 2 1 hour sessions a day at least

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I only really play when I feel like it.

The only time I practice is when I need to learn a song.
Same for me.

John
thegrumpyoldman

Reactions: Tone Chaser
P

·
0 Posts
1-6 hrs per day. Lots of playing to backing tracks, but always working to get better. Scales, modes, arpeggios, right hand picking...

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
As much as possible...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I play when I feel like it, which might be once a week or 3 times a day. I do very little in the way of forward progress on the guitar. I mostly just put my fingers on it and let them do what they want.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I don't really "practice" very much these days - or do any serious playing for that matter either.

However, my amount of noodling time is typically anywhere between 1/2 to 2-1/2 hours a day depending on my mood ...

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
My playing time is mostly recording new songs or simply jamming on the trio +. When I get that thing going, I'm there for 1-2 hrs (2-5 sessions x week). It's amazing how it takes your soloing and kicks it in the ass. There's something to be said for a rhythm section with stamina for days on end!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I play when I feel like it, which might be once a week or 3 times a day. I do very little in the way of forward progress on the guitar. I mostly just put my fingers on it and let them do what they want.
Same here. 30 years ago it was several hours a day. Went through a period where I didn't play a all for about 7 or 8 years. Slowly got back into it a few years ago but just play for my own enjoyment these days.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
I'm a bit weather-dependent, and motivated by need.

When I'm learning new tunes, there is a need to practice so I'll try and put and hour or two in every day, maybe more. When the weather's good and I'm not actively working out new tunes, I sometimes only get 15 or 30 minutes in or, horror or horrors, actually miss a day here and there. But in the winter, when I'm bored and it's raining bats and frogs, I can consistently get an hour or so in every day. Having my jam room just downstairs means sometimes I'm working on the rig, with the rig or doing a 'full practice' singing with PA on. That keeps it interesting and varied.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Practice: 2-3 hours a day, broken down as:
Singing while playing rhythm..1hr per practice
Singing while playing entire song with leads/fills to backing tracks 2 hrs

Band rehearsal: 1/week Regardless of whether or not we have a gig coming up or not.

I have a room set up with 4, 10" floor wedges and a powered head. Way more power than needed, but lots of fun.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Does Noodling Count???

Reactions: zontar

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Evil double post - first in quite a while

1 - 20 of 36 Posts