• unlimited

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • zero

Votes: 18 42.9%
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Not in one now. But one was enough for me at the time. Not just in terms of time and effort, but it was rewarding enough that I didn't feel a need for another band.

I do other musical projects, but not what I would call a band.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
There's no right or wrong way to look at it, but any time I was interested enough to participate in or lead a band, I always found that if I was to devote the time and energy it takes to make a band really tight and smooth, there's just not enough hours in the day to do that with more than one band, at least for me.

Anything I really get into, I tend to overdo.

·
Registered
655 Posts
One band only for me. I've always been that way, and I pretty much have always been in a band. Lots of energy goes into it, and I get even more out of it. But I don't think I could do more than one band seriously. For mucking around, casually, I could see myself potentially in an additional project in the future. But I'm not there yet.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Right now, I think I’m involved in an acoustic thing… not 100%! Ha, ha… I answered an ad on Kijiji for a “lead player with vocal capabilities”. We had a total of three practices before COVID shut it down last Fall. During the hiatus the bass player basically went insane and thought we were trying to “steal his band” and “undermine his authority”. So we all quit. “Have fun being tyrannical pal”.
I had a few practices with the main singer/second guitar, but every time we would plan to get together the numbers went up and we postponed. Haven’t spoken in a while. I think he’s moved on without me. Oh well.

Not sure I want to launch a new project. If one of my old ones circled around I’d probably jump on it, but the starting from scratch thing… meh.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Kept busy with 3 trios for the past few years. I enjoy the variety and always doing jams as a way to meet new musicians.
This is how I look at it as well. Also it's not like I'm in a bunch of bands all doing the same thing. Each one is a different style and offers a different challenge. Putting myself in new situations where I have to learn different songs or types of music forces me to continue to grow and be challenged as a musician.

Reactions: DavidP and marcos

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
I would never ask for or expect anything like exclusivity, but when auditioning players for a band I and those I worked most closely with, tended to go with those candidates prepared to really focus on the project.

Some of the best players around were inclined to play around with various bands at once and no disrespect intended to those players, but when it came to making one band as good as it could be, a less "vituosic" player who was really into the project was a better fit for us.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Three currently, and that's really all I have time for. Most working musicians I know are in more than one band these days.

I was looking for a vehicle for playing guitar and tried to put something together with a guy I met last year. We talked a lot, but didn't get together very often due to COVID. As time went by, he started trying to call all the shots, which I resented. It finally came to a head last month when he started giving me sh^^ about being in multiple bands, and we parted ways. Last week, I learned the bass player friend I brought into the band walked out on them when he discovered this guy and his stooge/guitar playing friend were playing winery gigs for NO MONEY for a number of years. The drummer quit too, so now Mr. Control has no band. He was a rank amateur musical whore with an attitude, a lot of money, a lot of musical toys and too much time on his hands.

Now, I'd prefer to just find people to jam with on a loose basis.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
I was in 3 at the same time at one point but none were full time. Generally I only like to be in one- I'm just not that dedicated anymore. I also hate playing past 11 p.m. because I still wake up at 5 which leaves me wrecked for the day after.

·
Premium Member
4,909 Posts
There's a lot of forum members in Ottawa/Gatineau. You should be able to pull something together. Look at the jams we used to do. We'd get 9-10 coming out.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I would never ask for or expect anything like exclusivity, but when auditioning players for a band I and those I worked most closely with, tended to go with those candidates prepared to really focus on the project.

Some of the best players around were inclined to play around with various bands at once and no disrespect intended to those players, but when it came to making one band as good as it could be, a less "vituosic" player who was really into the project was a better fit for us.
Oh I'm no virtuoso at all. My primary band isn't very busy and we don't get together often (1 rehearsal a month on average). Two of the other groups are pretty casual as well. I'm just not motivated at ALL to sit there learning and playing alone. Basically I need a reason to play. Playing with other people gives me the kick in the pants to learn.

But I have encountered my fair share of hot shot "guns for hire" that are high skill/low effort players. Basically the, "just tell me what key it's in" type. Usually they're not a lot of fun to work with.

Reactions: Milkman

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Oh I'm no virtuoso at all. My primary band isn't very busy and we don't get together often (1 rehearsal a month on average). I'm just not motivated at ALL to sit there learning and playing alone. Basically I need a reason to play. Playing with other people gives me the kick in the pants to learn.

But I have encountered my fair share of hot shot "guns for hire" that are high skill/low effort players. Basically the, "just tell me what key it's in" type. Usually they're not a lot of fun to work with.
Well, again, there's not one way to look at it.

I guess I have a pretty narrow view of what a band is and does. Another common practice that I have never done is to have a player "sub in".

I know and have been lucky to have played with, some masterful players but there's a difference between a collection of musicians (ensemble) and a band in my mind.

For example, (and it should go without saying that I'm not comparing anything I have done with this guy) there are probably better technical players out there than David Gilmour, but replace him and Pink FLoyd is not the same in my opinion, any more than Floyd performing without Waters was.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well, again, there's not one way to look at it.

I guess I have a pretty narrow view of what a band is and does. Another common practice that I have never done is to have a player "sub in".

I know and have been lucky to have played with, some matsterful players but there's a difference between a collection of musicians (ensemble) and a band in my mind.

For example, (and it should go without saying that I'm not comparing anything I have done with this guy) there are probably better technical players out there than David Gilmour, but replace him and Pink FLoyd is not the same in my opinion, any more than Floyd performing without Waters was.
Oh I totally get your meaning. My example is my Stones tribute. I won't use substitute players anymore for that one. The material is too varied and half the songs in our set we have modeled our performance after certain live versions of the songs. Plus there's a chunk of songs that don't follow the standard 1-4-5 arrangement - those are the ones that are trouble when it comes to bringing in hired guns (because they'd have to actually sit down and learn the song, not just show up and wing it based on what key it's in).

The other two groups I play in are basically friends who are getting together to play tunes with the eventual goal of playing a few gigs. So not too serious.

The one I'm just getting involved in is a totally different group of players. It's an established singer/songwriter and I'm coming in as mainly just a support player for him. It's a different genre than I'm used to so I'm taking it up as a challenge to grow as a player. Plus it puts me out of my comfort zone as this is the one group where I don't know anyone in the group prior to going in. It's less a "band" and more of a support ensemble, as you so rightly put it. The nice thing for me about this one is I'm not responsible for any of the "band" stuff. No booking, no promo, no scheduling. I get to just show up and play my guitar.

Reactions: Chito and Milkman

·
Registered
775 Posts
If there's a lot of original material involved, that can mean a bigger time commitment for a band. Writing is time consuming. Even more so if it's a collaborative effort.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts