Votes: 0 0.0%
  • zero

Votes: 18 42.9%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's funny to me how back when I was 20, you were in ONE band and if you even jammed with another group it was like cheating on your girlfriend. Now, no one cares. Over the weekend I did a favour for a friend and then by Monday I'm apparently joining the group lol. Now I'm in four active and semi-active bands.

Reactions: scotth

·
Premium Member
11,413 Posts
wow.
never been in more than 2, and that was pretty short term.

at my age and with my taste in music I'd be lucky to find one steady one lol

Reactions: bzrkrage

·
Registered
460 Posts
it was like cheating on your girlfriend. Now, no one cares
either way ;)

even beyond different bands sometimes people have different projects going with the same participants but a different sound or musical direction. i've never done that. i imagine a weird 'who are we right now' conversation as you shift from one project to another at practice

three groups at once including solo stuff is about as much as i can keep organized in my head before stuff starts to overlap in unhelpful ways

j

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I am in one band that was on hiatus for a number of years but had just started rehearsing again, with an updated vision, when Covid hit. I also play in the band at my church about once a month. I play bass in the gig band and 90% bass in the church band.

My plan is to start a band that I will front (and play guitar!) once Covid subsides - up until now I really haven't had time, but this September the nest will be empty, so I plan to fill in the extra time before it fills itself in.

I do play a lot of solo gigs - both instrumental and singing.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
either way ;)

even beyond different bands sometimes people have different projects going with the same participants but a different sound or musical direction. i've never done that. i imagine a weird 'who are we right now' conversation as you shift from one project to another at practice

three groups at once including solo stuff is about as much as i can keep organized in my head before stuff starts to overlap in unhelpful ways

j
This is true. Two of the three I'm involved in are just different combinations of people from the one main band - each with one additional external person in the mix.

·
Premium Member
5,278 Posts
Just one now although we play as a duo too. We're starting a full band soon. I also play with someone occasionally, we're playing in Brockville on Sept 5. The other band I had before the pandemic, I've decided to disband as I am not keen on managing 2 bands.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Prior to Covid I was in 2 bands and 2 acoustic acts with over 100 bookings a year. Now I'm happy to have the one band starting up again and may do the occasional 2-piece acoustic with the bass player. Getting older and tired-er and truth be told I enjoyed the time off when I wasn't gigging this past year.

·
Premium Member
11,564 Posts
One duo with a fiddle player. We play lots of swing, celtic, folk, whatever, not vocals. That’s all right now.

Outside of Covid times, I played as a musical mercenary for hire with several singers, but I’m not likely to pursue that in the future. Years ago I generally had two fairly regular gigging rock/blues/singer-songwriter bands and two or more occasional groups at a time. Lots of one-off gigs. Health, age, and other considerations have hardened my attitude about gigging.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I've been in a few, and a couple really good ones. Now I just jam with people.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
i am in .5 bands. it might be an entire band, but because rehearsal space is completely non-existent here, it's half a band, so far. even if i didn't have to work for a living and had lots of time on my hands, i can't see being in more than one band at a time. there are just too many other things i want to ear mark energy and effort to.

·
Premium Member
18,674 Posts
I’m no longer gigging but when I was, it was always one band at a time for me.
I did some recording with others, but one band always kept me as busy as I wanted to be.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
2 over here. One of which only jams once a month typically due to one member living 2 hours from the rest of us. So I joined a local band as a bass player to fill the void and scratch the itch. Any more band time and my family would likely fall apart

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
It's funny to me how back when I was 20, you were in ONE band and if you even jammed with another group it was like cheating on your girlfriend. Now, no one cares. Over the weekend I did a favour for a friend and then by Monday I'm apparently joining the group lol. Now I'm in four active and semi-active bands.
I'm in one now but wouldn't mind being in a second one.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
Just one now although we play as a duo too. We're starting a full band soon. I also play with someone occasionally, we're playing in Brockville on Sept 5. The other band I had before the pandemic, I've decided to disband as I am not keen on managing 2 bands.
Hey, I'll be in Brockville by then. Stop by.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts