The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***Video of ice picky shit added***

It's so hard on the ears, it's ruining any enjoyment while I play (still listen to that wicked greasy tone though, eh?!? Ha.)

What the matter with my set-up if I'm fretting on, say, the 3rd fret, but the string is lightly touching the 4th fret?

It makes this high frequency ice-picky 'ping' at every note, and it's driving me nuts. I just had the bloody guitar set-up. I was unimpressed with the service, but I can go back (wrong strings put on, forgot to tell me it was finished, got it with a lot of fret buzz which they said was normal - I made them adjust it).

Edit: I tweaked any fret buzz out by adjusting the truss rod. Action is perfect. I took a neck-length straight edge to the neck and there's a fine bit of relief. WHAT'S GOING ON!?!

Short, but to the point. You can hear that messed up chirping on almost every note. My ears are still sore.

·
Registered
662 Posts
What is the fretboard radius on this guitar vs. The radius on your other guitars?

Different string construction methods can have a perceived different feel under the same tension; what brands of strings are on this guitar and your other guitars? Different guages?

Another possibility could be the bridge tipping slightly forward when doing bends; pretty common on strats/guitars with trems.

With the range you were pulling the notes, the bridge tipping forward may have been such a minute effect that you only noticed the slightest drop in tension. I didn’t watch all of your video, so I may have missed it, but you should try bending a two or three note chord and see if it stays perfectly intonated and in tune.

Other than that, I’m unable to think of anything else. Maybe it’s magic?

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
radius on 3 guitars are 10"

String gauge on others are 10s, and this is a 9. I usually use EB slinkys, but have no idea what's on this one now. My dad set it up last.

I bent the string and it drops a 1/2 step.

I just realized something - I only have 2 springs in the back on the trem. I wonder if that's why? Not much to there to resist a bend.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Action may be too low and/or the relief is wrong, too flat or a bit of back bow.

Another thing to check is pickup height. If the pickups are too high (magnets too close to strings) it can cause all sorts of weird problems.

I would check relief first, then action height, then pickup height. And, yes at least one more spring might help. I sometimes use four and crank the tension on the springs until the tremolo block is almost touching the wood, i.e almost blocked. Then again I hardly ever use the tremolo when I'm playing.

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Action may be too low and/or the relief is wrong, too flat or a bit of back bow.

Another thing to check is pickup height. If the pickups are too high (magnets too close to strings) it can cause all sorts of weird problems.

I would check relief first, then action height, then pickup height. And, yes at least one more spring might help. I sometimes use four and crank the tension on the springs until the tremolo block is almost touching the wood, i.e almost blocked. Then again I hardly ever use the tremolo when I'm playing.
I like it like this and want to do it to all my guitars.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Then you'll have to live with the problems that come with that setup :)

I used to try and get my action as low as I possibly could. I often ran into problems playing for extended periods. The action was so low that the heat from my hands caused enough of a change that the strings started fretting out. This was mostly on strats with a floating tremolo. Ever since then I keep the action a little higher with just a touch of relief. Most of my problems went away. I still sound like crap and can't play worth a damn but now at least it's not the guitar's fault.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I like it like this and want to do it to all my guitars.
Put a set of 8s on any 25.5 scale and you'll have the same effect. I bent a low E string G note up to a D last night. Thats a 7 fret bend on the big string, with a vintage style string-through Telecaster bridge. I can make effortless 4 fret bends on any string, and 6 fret bends when I put a little effort in. And thats with a 7.25 radius.

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then you'll have to live with the problems that come with that setup :)

I used to try and get my action as low as I possibly could. I often ran into problems playing for extended periods. The action was so low that the heat from my hands caused enough of a change that the strings started fretting out. This was mostly on strats with a floating tremolo. Ever since then I keep the action a little higher with just a touch of relief. Most of my problems went away. I still sound like crap and can't play worth a damn but now at east it's not the guitar's fault.
SORRY - I REVISED THE OP. and apparently forgot to remove my caps lock from the last thing I did.

It's a completely different guitar with the fret issue.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Might be the relief is off or the bridge too low if it’s twangin out on the 4th when you’re fretting the the 3rd.

Check the relief and if it’s ok then put a set of 12s on there and set your strings to about half an inch at the 12ft fret; playing a higher action should be a good character building experience for ya ... lol

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If the guitar has just been set up and the 4th fret buzzes when you fret the 3rd it's possible you may have a high fret or two.
You may benefit from a fret-levelling and re-crown.
I would have that looked at before other considerations.
It's usually free to look and if it's the issue could save you a lot of time and hassle.
I did a fret level on a Strat a number of years ago and it solved more than one issue and turned it from a dog into a player.

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the guitar has just been set up and the 4th fret buzzes when you fret the 3rd it's possible you may have a high fret or two.
You may benefit from a fret-levelling and re-crown.
I would have that looked at before other considerations.
It's usually free to look and if it's the issue could save you a lot of time and hassle.
I did a fret level on a Strat a number of years ago and it solved more than one issue and turned it from a dog into a player.
I'll have that looked at. I just used the 3rd/4th as an example. It happens almost everywhere.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
if all else fails, go see trevor at string em up guitar repairs, pape & carlaw. he's a great guy, and does good work on the cheap. he has a website

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
From what I have found in my limited experience.
1st fret buzz is from the nut.
From there until you hit past about the 12thish fret is truss rod, and then in its bridge too low.
for the first half if it's buzzing you need more relief and the last half is buzzing you need less.

I may have said something backwards, and all information may be incorrect. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
These two things are probably not related.

Easy bends may simply be a result of the headstock design; specifically the length of string between the nut and the tuning peg.

A lot of guitars have a bar that tugs all of the strings down just after they come over the nut. Some designs only do this on a couple of the highest strings (like a strat or a tele).

I made some adjustments to that bar on my Tokai, lifting it up a bit, away from the headstock, and suddenly it was infinitely easier to bend the strings.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Sounds exactly like it needs a truss rod adjustment. Put one finger on the 15th fret on the big e string and using your other hand fret the first fret. There should be space between the strings and the fretboard.

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Sounds exactly like it needs a truss rod adjustment. Put one finger on the 15th fret on the big e string and using your other hand fret the first fret. There should be space between the strings and the fretboard.
I agree.

Capo at the first fret, hold the string down at the 15th fret, you should have .015 to .020 clearance between the string and middle point between the two (around the 7th or 8th fret). Sounds like the neck has no relief.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I agree.

Capo at the first fret, hold the string down at the 15th fret, you should have .015 to .020 clearance between the string and middle point between the two (around the 7th or 8th fret). Sounds like the neck has no relief.
If you dont have feeler gauges to measure it, use a guitar pick or business cards. Let us know what you find. I think I usually set my Teles up to 2 standard business card relief. I typically just eyeball it and adjust as I see fit.

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you dont have feeler gauges to measure it, use a guitar pick or business cards. Let us know what you find. I think I usually set my Teles up to 2 standard business card relief. I typically just eyeball it and adjust as I see fit.
Ok, thanks guys.

I'll check it tomorrow. I've literally had it for two days and the guys at Cosmo had it for 2 weeks. This probably shouldn't be happening, but I guess it could be from the basement being cool. Who knows? I'll keep you post.

I have some ruler I got off amazon that specifically measures action, so I'll use that tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts