The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a new, used bass, took it to the tech and it came back with a strange arrangement. I’m not sure if this was done deliberately or not, and it will be a while before I can ask.

I’m not sure if I’m going to change it.

Before I take anything apart [so many screws], can you guess how it’s wired?

I was unable to find a Fender diagram for this model [can anyone locate one?], but I assume from the factory it is like a Jazz bass. It is a Fender Modern Player Telecaster Bass with two humbuckers, one volume control for each pickup and a tone control.

Like this but in sunburst.

This is how things are working.

If you turn all the knobs down to zero, there is still a little bit of sound coming through, mostly from the bridge pickup, I think.

The first knob seems to be the volume for the neck pickup, but all the way up doesn’t seem quite full volume.

The middle knob seems to be a volume for both pickups, but not a master volume, if the first knob is at zero, this knob still brings both pickups in. Full volume is louder than the first knob.

If you have the middle knob all the way up and bring the first knob from zero to full, you get an increase in volume up to about 8, then you hear a bit of decrease. I wonder if the pickups have four wires?

The third knob seems to be a volume control for the bridge pickup, but maybe also still the tone control?

L

·
0 Posts
There's a ground issue.
I had the same scenario with a recent purchase.
I found that the ground lug on both volume pots were not soldered properly.
Oh .. and one capacitor wasn't soldered to the tone pot lug either.

This was from the Gibson factory.

cap.jpg

·
Registered
24,383 Posts
According to the manufacturer, the pots control neck-volume, bridge-volume, and master tone.

You will note that there is no pickup switch, merely level controls. When two or more volume pots can not be disconnected from each via a switch, it often happens that adjustments to one volume control are affected by adjustments to the other. And since there is only the one master tone pot, my guess is that it is wired after the two volume pots, as in this PJ Bass diagram. You will note that the wiring of the volume pots is opposite to what you'd see on a Strat or Tele or Les Paul. This wiring arrangement uses the middle lug as the input, whereas most guitars will use the outside lug as the input and the middle lug as the output.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There's a ground issue.
This seems to be really close to what is happening.

It looks like I have a bad pot.

After 15 screws! It's not super pretty in there, but everything seems to be good. I used my continuity tester and everything checked ok. It is wired like the P-J bass, the humbuckers have a red and white wire tied together.

I thought about it, all the way off I still get output from the bridge pickup, so I checked the resistance between the lugs on the bridge volume pot and no matter where I put the knob there was 22K between the wiper and ground. I think there is no internal connection between the ground lug and the element.

I guess I'll wait until I can get a hold of the tech.

I’ve got this strung B-E-A-D, I can still have fun with it until then.

Argh, now I wish I had tested the ground lug on the neck volume pot too...oh, well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts