The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an ad on the local Kijiji for one of these yesterday. I have no idea how Fender has the nerve (or delusion) to call it a Telecaster.

Semi-hollow, sure. Thinlines have been around for 50 years. P-90s? Well, there have been P90-equipped Teles, so that's no great travesty. But in this case, we have a double-cutaway semi-hollow body with an ABR-style bridge and tailpiece, in addition to the P90s. Yes, there is a simple volume and tone control, with dome knobs, but it seems like the only truly Telecaster aspect of this model is the Tele-shaped headstock.

Traditional models CAN withstand the odd customization here and there, but at a certain point it just crosses the line and becomes something else. And in my view, this one has done just that. Doesn't mean it is a bad or unplayable guitar. It just isn't a Telecaster, and calling it one doesn't make it one.

·
Premium Member
17,179 Posts
That is GAS to the Nth degree in my world. The right bridge to boot.

·
Premium Member
11,077 Posts
I can dig everything about it except the bridge. A Fender hardtail style bridge like is found on a Thinline would complete it for me.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Call it what you will, but, I find that a very interesting take on a traditional Tele.

I like it. A lot.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
That is not a Telecaster and a little gross looking but could vastly improve without the top horn cutaway. So basically if they stayed with a Thinline Custom body and used the P90's it would be fine, I'm pretty sure that guitar exists though.

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
I too like the look of it, but wouldn't call it a Telecaster. To be fair, it seems that they are only called "Telecasters" on the private used market - anything I've found from dealers just refers to them as a TC-90. Though "TC" certainly implies Telecaster. Also, it is really only one step removed from what most people would accept as a Tele. If it had either traditional Tele pick-ups or just a single cutaway I don't think many would object to calling it a Telecaster.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I love the Tele double cut body.

There was a run of them a few years ago in the USA built line. Wanted to get one, but it was over my price range. (1k+)

More than one time I thought about finding an affintity series squire and cutting it out like that.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
You guys realise that that IS the Tele shape but with a second cutaway on the upper horn. Fill that in and it's a perfect match for the Tele shape. Which is why they called it a Tele Doublecut.

I get it though, just about everything that makes a Tele unique is now gone, but personally, I see the P90s as more of a travesty than the upper cutaway.

Possibly this will help:

·
Premium Member
5,311 Posts
Note to Self: Remember to Never show Vadsy your double-cut Tele.

Edit: The shape is made by cutting the lower horn, and then flipping the template over and re-cutting the lower horn in the upper location.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
You guys realise that that IS the Tele shape but with a second cutaway on the upper horn. Fill that in and it's a perfect match for the Tele shape. Which is why they called it a Tele Doublecut.

I get it though, just about everything that makes a Tele unique is now gone, but personally, I see the P90s as more of a travesty than the upper cutaway.

Possibly this will help:

Oh, I get it. The picture you posted is closer to a Tele but as you said the other one is too far removed with everything unique to Telecasters being stripped away. Still the lower horn on a Tele is an abomination, change anything else and it could still be ok but not the body shape.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I can handle a lot of deviation from yer standard, archetypal Telecaster - double-humbuckers, different control plates and switching and lots of other hardware change-ups - but once you go to a double-cut body you've lost me.

Reactions: Roryfan
1 - 20 of 56 Posts