The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to trade my Roccaforte amp. I know that L&M carries Dr.Z and Fuchs, both of which I am interested in. Has anybody tried to do trades with L&M? Did they give you a fair trade in value?

thanks

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I've approached them with trades before and while they try to give you a fair trade-in price, they are still a business and they have to be able to make money on a trade-in. You would be much better off selling it privately.

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
There trade in rates would be about as good as anyone else's.....which is not very good.

As mentioned you are always better to try selling privately first. Craigslist and Kijiji are a good place to start. You are pretty much guaranteed to do better then you would on trade.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been trying to sell my amp for a while now. I posted it here, on the gear page, craigslist, ebay (twice) and a couple of other forums and no interest. I am shocked as Roccaforte is a highly sought after boutique amp with a great name.

Anyway, now that my complaining is done, I will likely take it to L&M to see what they have to say.

If anybody else has experience with them please let me know.

G

·
I know this won't help. I just wanted to add a little
story about my experience with L&M. Back in '85 I
bought a Traynor 2x12 combo from their garage sale
(do they still have them?)for $120, anywho, a coupla'
years later, I traded that amp in for a Marshall 5175
combo. They gave me a $200 trade-in value. Depending
on who you deal with behind the counter, ya never know.

G

·
Consignment at the 12th Fret in Toronto for nice, boutique stuff is usually better than a trade in. I think they take 15% for consignment and just about every place will only give you 50% of what they think they could sell it for on trade in because it's a big risk for them. I'll often watch weirder stuff sit for weeks on Craigslist and then show up on The Fret's used page. For example: this top-route 80's Strat at $895. Now that The Fret has given it their blessing it'll sell quick. I think the guy wanted $750 or so for it when it was on Craigslist.

·
Registered
30 Posts
L&M are fairly good with guitar trade-ins where they will give you 80% of what they are going to sell your item for....and they sell the item at a fair market value.

I don't know about amps - but I do know that they are very shy of boutique (anything) unless they carry it themselves. Don't hold your breath on your amp - they won't offer you much, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
I didn't realize it was such a high value item. Amps like that can be tough to sell. Unless you happen to find a speciality buyer, you can take a bit of a beating on them in out market. That is a a reality of buying 'boutique'.

L&M are fairly good with guitar trade-ins where they will give you 80% of what they are going to sell your item for....and they sell the item at a fair market value.
That I don't really agree with. I see some 'very' used items in the stores frequently that they only have priced about 10-15% below their new prices. I see $900 guitars (Like MIM Classic series Teles) selling for $800 used. And you still pay taxes when you buy it.

I think their trade in values, and their used equipment sales are a complete sham. I only use them if I absolutely have to.

Consignment at the 12th Fret in Toronto for nice, boutique stuff is usually better than a trade in
That is a good option. Or even a trade in at a similar type of store. Folkway in Guelph is a similar type of store.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It depends which L&M...but I know from experience that in Calgary and Winnipeg they will rape you...in TO people have better luck with L&M at the downtown location - IF they know you well.

and yes the best trade policy in the country is 12th fret.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
They'll basically give you half of what it's worth!Gotta make that 200% mark-up.

Oh dear! You might want to take some sales schooling before ever applying for a sales job.

If they give you half of what they sell it for the markup is only 50%!

If you paid $50 and sold it for $100 you only made $50. You have to subtract the $50 you gave for the trade-in. $50 is only 50% of $100.

Nothin' comes easy!:tongue:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I"ve never had success @ L &M, tried to do a trade a few times, made no sense, try again privately with a "better" price, @ least you may stand to lose less that way then trade.

Bootique is hot and cold and very fickle, if its not "hot" that month, it may prove difficult to sell.

try craiglist and tgp again maybe ? (with a bit better price ??)

just my humble .02

I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I am looking to trade my Roccaforte amp. I know that L&M carries Dr.Z and Fuchs, both of which I am interested in. Has anybody tried to do trades with L&M? Did they give you a fair trade in value?
thanks

...as i see it, you have three options. if you are in a hurry for the money, take your chances on a trade in. however, if you want to receive fair value, and you can afford to be patient, take the amp to a reputable second hand instrument shop and sell it on consignment. but your best option, i think, is to post it on kijiji and craiglist (and here).

-dh

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
While you are better off selling it yourself most of time, don't forget that the trade in value results in less tax to be paid. You only pay tax on the amount of cash that is changes hands, not the full value of the amp that you buy.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I didn't realize it was such a high value item. Amps like that can be tough to sell. Unless you happen to find a speciality buyer, you can take a bit of a beating on them in out market. That is a a reality of buying 'boutique'.

That I don't really agree with. I see some 'very' used items in the stores frequently that they only have priced about 10-15% below their new prices. I see $900 guitars (Like MIM Classic series Teles) selling for $800 used. And you still pay taxes when you buy it.

I think their trade in values, and their used equipment sales are a complete sham. I only use them if I absolutely have to.

That is a good option. Or even a trade in at a similar type of store. Folkway in Guelph is a similar type of store.

Most of those scenarios where you see a $900 guitar for $800 are returns on which you'll still get the warranty or a rental item coming back into inventory in which the same is true. So when you figure the warranty thing into the mix it's not a bad deal. A LOT of L&M's "used" gear (especially the big brands) is rental or rented stock.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have found in most cases they will try and sell the used item for 75% of it's list if it is in good condition, they then offer you about 75% of that amount they will list at give or take a bit. Usually if you calculate the way I have described it gives you a good estimate. I have always been pretty close to what they have offered me in the past. It is always better to try to sell privately obviously. When I sell I used item I usually try to calculate the 75% of list to set a price.

Ie: If the guitar sells for 2500 they will probably try to sell it at roughly the 1850 mark thus they will offer you about 75% of that, ie: 1387, so close to 1400$ on trade in value.

This is a general guide and some places have offered better some less but it definatly gives you a general idea of what you would be looking at.

·
Registered
906 Posts

I don't know about amps - but I do know that they are very shy of boutique (anything) unless they carry it themselves. Don't hold your breath on your amp - they won't offer you much, unfortunately.
My best friend is an L&M Manager...they actually give 70% on trade in items. If the piece is something that they dont carry then they may turn you away since they warranty all used items for 90 days.

If you bought the item there and it is desirable and mint then they MAY give more than 70% but dont expect that to happen very often.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Some boutique builders, especially those with a long waiting-list, will list used amps for sale on their web site. You could look into that.

I would absolutely not leave an amp worth as much on consignment anywhere.

In my opinion, you best bet is to lower the price a little and see if it sells. It only takes one buyer after all. But the U.S. economy isn't doing all that well and the market for used guitar amps worth thousands of dollars is getting smaller every day it seems.

Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts