The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

How important are looks?

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  torndownunit 
#1 ·
When you're in the market to buy an amp, how important is the way it looks? Is that a major factor in you buying decision???

#7 ·
There are some people out there who'd kill to get a Vintage Tweed even it looks like the covering has been chewed up by a pack of pit bulls and used to wipe an elephant's butt for the last three months - as long as it has the sound. There are some that actually like that look though.

#8 ·
Don't care what it looks like as long as it doesn't stink. Brought home a Bassman head one time and the whole house smelled like ass for a week. Some liquid had spilled into the chassis, and started growing some sort of bacteria or something. Also don't like the ones that smell really smoky or mildewey.

#9 ·
zdogma said:
Don't care what it looks like as long as it doesn't stink. Brought home a Bassman head one time and the whole house smelled like ass for a week. Some liquid had spilled into the chassis, and started growing some sort of bacteria or something. Also don't like the ones that smell really smoky or mildewey.

Are you sure that wasn't the one used by the elephant ???:wink:

#11 ·
Robert1950 said:
There are some people out there who'd kill to get a Vintage Tweed even it looks like the covering has been chewed up by a pack of pit bulls and used to wipe an elephant's butt for the last three months - as long as it has the sound. There are some that actually like that look though.

Ya but that looks good. :)

If a combo amp was neon pink, twice the size it needed to be, and weighed 110 lbs I would likely pass on it.

I owned a SNAKESKIN fender "The Twin" so I will buy ALMOST anything :) , But I will admit I have some visual criteria when buying an amp and would pass on one if I couldn't even look at it.

#13 ·
As stupid as this is, I probably have passed up some pretty decent amp deals because they had 'Peavey' written on the front. Yes, I know Peavey has made some incredible amps over the years, but they have also made some completely toneless behemoths. I'm speaking primarily of some of the amps made in the 80's. I actually played in a band with a guy whose motto was "friends don't let friends play Peavey". Otherwise I generally like crappy looking amps because I take pleasure in finding instances of substance in spite of lack of style. Jeez, even my Mark IIC+ isn't much to look at.

#15 ·
i definately dont agree that if a person wants a nice looking amp, theyre a poser. i guess only 'posers' buy new amps huh? i dont think so. i think looks are important but it actually depends. i would never buy an amp that is really beaten up looking. i dont mind small tears in tolex. i hate when grills are ripped or missing handles though. i like my amps looking nice but i really don't mind the odd rip and tear. hate cracks. when people say that a beaten up amp is reliable i don't think i can agree with that either. if you want a reliable amp, you buy one new. no used or vintage amp can really be really really reliable. can have great tone but you'll never know what will go wrong over time. everything can be repaired though so there's no major loss.

#16 ·
"Hold on thar, Baba Louie!"

sesroh said:
if you want a reliable amp, you buy one new. no used or vintage amp can really be really really reliable. can have great tone but you'll never know what will go wrong over time. everything can be repaired though so there's no major loss.
Wow, as a techie I must respectfully and totally disagree!

Give me an old used vintage amp any day! ALL amps can break down and I'm not inpressed at all with the quality of modern amps. They mostly are designed to be assembled as cheaply as possible by automatic machines. This means that they become a PITA to service, which means a bigger repair bill to the customer.

Parts are parts and I will agree that a capacitor or resistor from a blackface Deluxe Reverb is no more or less likely to fail than a cap in a modern 'Boogie. The difference is that one can find and replace that cap in the old amp in less than half of the time needed with the modern one.

If you have a warranty or if you're Metallica and get your 'Boogies for free under an endorsement deal then you don't have to think about such things. Once that warranty is over then you're on your own.

Vintage handwired amps are a breeze to modify. With modern amps you are severely limited. There are no wires but rather traces on the circuit board. You can't change them - they're "cast in stone".

Tubes heat up and cool down. It's their nature. With circuit boards this means all those little board connections are heating and cooling, expanding and contracting. If the board isn't thick enough what happens is that a few years after warranty those connections start to screw up and become intermittent. I had one Blues Deluxe in my shop that I swear when my cat walked in front of it on the rug you'd hear crackling and scratchy noises out of the amp!

This is just my humble opinion of course but since I make my living building and repairing amps I have a different perspective than if I like an amp 'cuz it sounds all "Yngwie" and has big chrome knobs. I have no problem if someone disagrees with me - it means more money to me in the long run! :food-smiley-015:

Chaque a son gout! And note my msg signature below:

#18 ·
I have a cabinet that looks like crap but I like the sound of it.
Just alot of wear. And I can put a new speaker in it myself.
I wouldn't buy an amp in the same condition because I'd figure the previous owner didn't take care of it and treat it right so there is probably a breakdown just waiting to happen.
Missing knobs drive me crazy. It really shows the owner doesn't care. Long and McQuade can get you new original equipment knobs in a couple of weeks for a couple of bucks. Same with handles.
Broke knob shafts drive me insane. I wouldn't buy it unless it was half of the normal price because I think it was really mistreated.
Any broken wood, I'm not touching it. Did the arsehole drop it down a flight of stairs?

So I'm effected by the looks, Yes.

#19 ·
Cosmetics

9 times out of ten...........nobody is going to notice how nice looking your amp/amps are or how ugly they are or what make for that matter when you are playing in a dimly lit barroom.(smoky too in the old days)..........the sound is what its about.
And you're right wildbill..........they dont make em like they used to.

Ray

#20 · (Edited)
no used or vintage amp can really be really really reliable. can have great tone but you'll never know what will go wrong over time. everything can be repaired though so there's no major loss.
It's great that there are so many lower priced amps around for players nowadays, but they are lower priced for a reason. A good portion of them are made to be disposable. They are either a pain for a tech to fix, or unfixable. And half the time they'd cost so much to fix that it's not worth paying for it. Just go out and buy a new one when it breaks, which is exactly what the manufacturers plan on you doing.

My Princeton Reverb is from 1968. The only thing I have had to do to it since I have owned it is replace a pot, and buy new tubes. It's been going for for 39 years, and it will likely go for another 39 with repairs here and there along the way. It's built to last.

Things are way more likely to go wrong with that $500-700 new amp you buy for the exact reasons that Wild Bill mentioned. A lot of them are a disaster waiting to happen. You can buy a vintage Traynor, Silverface Fender and a lot of other options for the same or less money and get a quality amp that will be serviceable and last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.