The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

How high or low do you wear your guitar?

• Chest Level

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Lower Chest/High Stomach Level

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Stomach Level

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Waist Level

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Lower Waist Level

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Thigh Level

Votes: 1 2.4%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the early eighties when I was in my second band we had a rehearsal space and sometimes guys from other bands would drop by to talk guitars and music related stuff. One time this guy came by and somehow the topic got onto a friend of his who used to wear his guitar very high. The person who was telling me about this referred to it as his friends "Les Paul bowtie." :)

I don't wear my guitars that high but I find for the most part they're in the lower chest range. The only guitar I wear lower than that is my Dillion Rosie. It seems to be more comfortable at waist level. So how about you? How high or low do you wear your guitar?

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
The Obeyer/The Folkie.

Qualifier: on guitar, higher to play slide; on bass, lower to play fingers, higher for pick.

·
Registered
14,921 Posts
When I stand with a guitar (Or bass) it is slightly lower than where it when I am sitting.
I interpreted that as stomach level.
Mandolin I wear a bit higher than where it would be when sitting.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
662 Posts
Everything just above the belt for me. I guess more towards the “obeyer” position. I find that to be the best position so I’m not fighting the instrument during playing.

·
Premium Member
17,189 Posts
My strings sit just below belt level for me (and I may wear my belt lower than some of you). I usually end up wearing the guitar about an inch higher in practice. For live use though, it has to be a certain height so that I can move around a lot without losing my balance. I'm already top-heavy!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I started with the guitar by the knees but I've tried everything. First I had to convince myself that what really matters is to play well but then I realized that if my right hand is too bent at the elbow I get more pain than in the "wrong" position. So now I'm pretty much back to the rocker pose

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
For me, I "Obey" the "High Tower". The guitar is at waist level but the neck is up high. I have to have it this way since I lost a bit of rotation due to a busted shoulder years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I like to tuck the top edge of the guitar under my ribs on the right side. Where it sits after that depends on how big the guitar is. Some on the stomach (SG, Strat PRS etc.) while some go down below the waist (Gretsch, Acoustics) :D

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
Back in the 80's I wanted to look really cool and wear it super low, like Steve Clark. I forced myself for quite awhile, but it never felt comfortable, and made me play sloppier.
I think part of it is, I practiced sitting down most of the time, which forces the guitar higher.
The other part I learned many years later, is I have relatively short arms for my height.
Funnily enough I watched a documentary about def Leppard a few yrs ago and the singer commented how Steve wore his guitar so low...and he thought it made him play sloppily as well! inebriation also likely played a part too though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
For most of my guitar playing career, strings below the belt. It was the most comfortable for me to play like that with my orangutan arms and all. Now that I have been doing more noodling type things and have to rotate my left wrist so much more, I have pulled my guitar up two holes on the strap which puts the strings right at belt level. It's taking some getting used to but I think that the gains will outweigh the struggle.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My strings sit just below belt level for me (and I may wear my belt lower than some of you). I usually end up wearing the guitar about an inch higher in practice. For live use though, it has to be a certain height so that I can move around a lot without losing my balance. I'm already top-heavy!

Beautiful guitar! What is it?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts