The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to smoke a lot and quit for 20 years. Recently with the legalization I have partaken with some pro musicians. I realize all the years of playing on weed there is a part of my brain that really excels playing guitar when under the influence. But what I find is if I partake and play for a week everyday I play and play, get creative, play at a very high level and really enjoy it. But then when I stop the herb, my need to play seems to be less. I go days without playing. Then I smoke and all I want to do is play. Did I develop my brain to be high as a musician?

What are your experiences and observations?

·
Registered
Fingerstyle; orchestra size acoustics
3,136 Posts
Weed does not influence my playing...
I never used that stuff !
Alcohol would bring inconsistencies in though...

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Weed influences my playing in 2 ways. I've always practiced and played strictly sober and made a point of it for most of my 35 years of playing. Xcept High School. When I smoke now, it tends to open up the strict regimen I had/do follow(ed) and opens my ears and ideas up in a different space that I can tap into differently. I've always had that so called "artistic tap" that, when it opens up, you have to jump all over that shit and get it down before it fades away. Weed will open that up pretty quickly so when I do smoke and play I have my cell phone at the ready to record. Then I just name what I played, upload, and have a listen the next day or so. It's typically sloppier than what I thought it was but the ideas are there to be worked out for the next practice session. It can have benefits if you approach it with reasonable expectations and don't get totally shit faced stupid. I'm a fairly light smoker so a little goes a long way. My preference is stone cold sober though.

·
Premium Member
22,439 Posts
I enjoy weed and I enjoy guitars.

I also enjoy playing guitar while smoking weed, BUT, my opinion is that while I can be creative while smoking, I can’t really play in a structured way, ie, follow an arrangement or even play a certain piece consistently the same.

Because I know this about myself, in all the years I’ve played I have never walked on stage, or showed up for any gig under the influence of weed.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
9,308 Posts
Yeah, it’s useful for opening up the creative valve in your brain so that you can get in there with a coat hanger or a guitar and winkle out some ideas. I don’t smoke at least not since around high school but back then I used to smoke and listen to music sometimes. Kinda opens a door to hearing music in a more intense way and that ends up staying with you so you don’t have to be stoned anymore to hear it that way.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
I'd rather smoke weed and listen to music than play it. I find serious concentration (and playing guitar requires that) straightens me out. On the other hand, kicking back and relaxing let's me experience the high better. You know, back when I used to imbibe. YMMV.

·
Occasional CEO
My Superstrat
2,152 Posts
In my experience playing with people who smoked weed and/or drank in excess. 100% of the time their playing suffered by getting more sloppy, and everyone could tell except the player. From their perspective, it helped them play better. I can't say this is true for all substance users/abusers, but it's certainly true for the ones I've played with.

Mind you, I suck without the "help" so who am I to judge? Lol.

·
Registered
15,293 Posts
When I used to smoke I would get stoned, get hungry, make weed infused brownies and chocolate chip cookies and burn my mouth eating them, then write, play and record the most amazing music of all time. Sometimes by myself and sometimes with others. A lot of times there was beer or To Kill Ya involved. I still have some of that music on tape and I still go, "What the fu*k were we thinking and doing?". At times the music would stop and there would be dead air because it was decided that a ride from New West to Hope for a Coffee Crisp was in order. Hope Coffee Crisps tasted far better than New West ones and the dead air was because no one turned off the reel to reel. Sometimes we'd even get past the Towers or the 'Boo or the Turf.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my experience playing with people who smoke weed and/or drink in excess. 100% of the time their playing suffers by getting more sloppy, and everyone can tell except the player. From their perspective, it helps them play better. I can't say this is true for all substance users/abusers, but it's certainly true for the ones I've played with.

Mind you, I suck without the "help" so who am I to judge? Lol.
Booze and weed are two very different things.

·
Occasional CEO
My Superstrat
2,152 Posts
Booze and weed are two very different things.
Yes. They are. Here's a list of other things that are different: chairs, China, drywall, pizza, and headphones. ;)

I wasn't conflating the two together and I never said they were the same. I said the result was that the people using either weed, or booze, or both played worse while using.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes. They are. Here's a list of other things that are different: chairs, China, drywall, pizza, and headphones. ;)

I wasn't conflating the two together and I never said they were the same. I said the result was that the people using either weed, or booze, or both played worse while using.
I know booze will make a big difference, but weed can make some people play better. More creative, more into it etc. without the impairment that booze offers.

·
Registered
15,293 Posts

Depends on how much weed or booze or other things you have partaken in at the same time. That being said there were/are a lot of musicians who partake and who are pretty damned good. To the point that it doesn't matter if they are stoned or drunk we still go see them and listen to them.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts