The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of the best quality acoustic videos I have seen on youtube from Eddie Van Der Meer.

Yes, I realize this is a studio track and not live, but what I am curious about is how this tone, sustain and unaltered, smooth reverb can sneak through Youtube's crazy ridiculous compression of WAV files when you upload any kind of guitar video. Youtube stifles larger audio files with it's compression, and although I understand the need to conserve server space, I still think that it robs too much of the natural acoustic quality no matter how good the player is.

I am just wondering if it is a matter of uploading the maximum size audio file so that less is lost in the upload process, or if it is a specific TYPE of audio file that works better than a WAV file for uploading purposes...what is that mysterious golden factor that I am missing here exactly?

-----------

While I am asking, is there a more audio-friendly video channel that compresses audio files less than the all-purpose go-to juggernaut that is Youtube? Any input will help.

Any and all help on this is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for your replies.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
it's a music video. IMO. he's playing along. that's not live. it's simply to show some "live" playing in the video. I say this as
a) you cannot get that sound from a strictly transitive source (transducer PU). This would be the only way to not have any background noise present.
b) this clear sound is from a Condenser mic (or 2) in a silent studio, with lots of effects and post production.

you can get this kind of sound on video with an iphone if you have total silence, and the mic is pointed at your guitar. your headphones must NOT have a mic for phone calls if you want to use the phone's mic. with the iPhone earbuds , its the mic on the cable that receives your sound.

I did this recording to showcase the different tones you can get from different V-picks on the same guitar with the same parameters (mic, position, effects, day, temp etc....). the popping sound is when I'm changing the pics and they're all beside the iPhone.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fg-john-band%2F1992-collings-om-3-different-v

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very detailed and informative reply....thank you for this! Very nice track, too!

I knew this was a studio recording since, as I live nearby to several large rivers, there is no way you can keep out the wind noise and Ferry engine sound...the guitar would be completely buried and unlistenable.

I was just curious how the engineer/producer was able to lay down a track on youtube without said track being affected at all by the horrific compression youtube applies to all tunes, whether studio-produced or not. I suppose I am curious about what members here are choosing to save their final audio files as.
WAV seems to be the go-to file to work with, but other file types allow for better sound quality, even if the file sizes are larger.

Anyone here save their tracks as AIFF, CAF or some other uncompressed file types, and how do you work with such files?

Again, very good, clear demonstration!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm not sure this will help answer your question, since my setup is not related to video recording, but I'll offer this anyway..................

When I do a recording of my music (audio only, no video) using a microphone, my signal chain is this:
Guitar-->pedalboard-->amplifier-->cab-->microphone-->audio interface box mic in-->computer via USB-->recording software.

The setup I've been using for the last year or so eliminates the amp, cab, and microphone by going directly from the pedalboard to the audio interface box (using its line-in inputs):
Guitar-->pedalboard (last pedal used has stereo left & right out)-->audio interface box left & right line in-->computer via USB-->recording software.

This has meant I no longer get the nuances of the amp/cab/mic, but it also means I no longer get the noise (including ambient noise), hum, and distortion inherent in each of those steps. The result is exceptionally clean sound, with no noise whatsoever, and near zero harmonic distortion added. Of course, this is only going to sound satisfactory to you if you're happy with the sound coming out of the pedalboard, without the amp/cab.

Drum tracks are done in a similar fashion:
Drum machine stereo left & right out-->audio interface box left & right line in-->computer via USB-->recording software.

As far as posting the result goes, I upload WAV files to Soundcloud, where I'm sure some compression is done, but the resulting track there sounds very, very close to what I hear from within my recording software.

I get compliments on how clean my recordings are. Here's one of them done with the latter setup:

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fuser-433381886%2Fwanton-disregard-for-structural-integrity

1 - 4 of 4 Posts