The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know; you stop hitting the new posts button here as most of those are cool things to buy. Seriously, I spend way to much time thinking about gear I think I need to buy. I don't need anything right now. Other than to practice more.

So I'm modifying my behaviour; no new purchases. For a year!!!!

;-)

Wish me luck.

Jeff

(OK, I do need pickups for the other USA Predator as the stock ones suck. But that's it!)

·
Premium Member
17,167 Posts
Easy: i cant afford anything that i dont need for the band.

Hell I can barely afford some things I Do need for the band.

Gear is just a tool now, and my toolbox isnt lacking. Once you stop letting the sight of new stuff excite you (not getting it, simply being exposed to it in any format) your GAS should go down considerably.

If you're in a relationship, and you're serious about a year off, put the money into a holiday account. Memories can last longer than "I never thought I'd sell this but..."

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I was gas- ing bad last winter. Managed to put it off by buying a different strap some new sheet music etc. (small ticket stuff). Eventually bought a amp in the summer.

Just stay out of L&M and you should be alright.

P

·
0 Posts
But there are so many pedals you need. Get on the Kingsley list. In a year from now when your name comes up you can easily drop $2500 on 3 or 4 overdrive variants. The pedal that models pickups would be nice for $400. The Plus pedal that is like a piano hold pedal. Then you could get a cool pedal controller for $2K. What you need is a 2nd or 3rd job.

·
Premium Member
17,167 Posts
Just stay off Kijiji then :p.

I wasn't even aware they had updated to a "messenger" system on the site page as I hadn't been on in a while.

The facebook groups and the kijiji section here can be dangerous if you're bad at holding on to money.

I am accepting any and all monetary donations to the 2019 tour schedule, for all who need to spend :D

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Just stay off Kijiji then :p.

I wasn't even aware they had updated to a "messenger" system on the site page as I hadn't been on in a while.

The facebook groups and the kijiji section here can be dangerous if you're bad at holding on to money.

I am accepting any and all monetary donations to the 2019 tour schedule, for all who need to spend :D
Well hey, if you want to sell some of that sweet gear, I'm sure we can help you out ;)

Good luck with the tour.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
my GAS was cured when i stopped going on forums and reading aimlessly about newer, "better" gear.

I'm back, and i want gear again.....would love a vintage spec tele and a Les Paul Jr. with a fat neck.

I'm actually at the lowest amount of gear I've owned in a long time.
DG-335
CR8 les paul
Partscaster
'68 CDR
small pedal board. (OD, Fuzz, Booster, Tuner, Wah, Chorus)

the only thing I've been GASsing for is some better pickups for the DG-335. the BB2/3 combo is atrocious, but it seems custom wound pickups arent all that cheap anymore. everyone and their dog wants 300USD for a set, so im patiently waiting for a good deal on a used set.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
I was supposed to have been on a no new guitar year for 2018 and ended up with 3 new guitars.

I'm starting 2019 as a no new guitar year again ...

·
Premium Member
17,167 Posts
Well hey, if you want to sell some of that sweet gear, I'm sure we can help you out ;)

Good luck with the tour.
Just got two strats, retubed two amps and fixed two pedals.

Im gear'd out haha. Gonna keep calm with my tele when that arrives. My wallet is sore hahaha.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Which one of these players are you?

Reactions: Dorian2 and greco

·
Registered
662 Posts
I started trying to be more realistic about what I actually need, versus a never ending list of wants. I’m not a pro level musician, and I don’t really feel like a collector, so I’m not as interested in having lots of guitars and gear as I once was.

I still have lots of guitars and basses and pedals and everything else under the sun, but I’m getting down to my keepers; my best players and sentimental pieces.

I actually sold two guitars and an amp in the last few months (also just bought a guitar, I’m not perfect...). One was the guitar in my profile picture. Haven’t gotten around to changing it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts