The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used backline monitor, decent shape and all, but even testing in store I noticed a lack of highs. The guy said it depends on the board etc and to compensate there.

Took it home and been using it for a month with the treble dimed (no external eq) and its not cutting it.

I bought the extended coverage for ten bucks, but dont have the time to bring it in.

Any way to troubleshoot this in case its something simple?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Can you hear anything coming out of the tweet (or horn) at all, like hiss?
Lot's of them have protection bulbs in the xover for the horn/tweet.
What make/model ?

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
since its a monitor, it should be hooked up to a mixer of some sort...

PLay some music thru a channel on the mixer, take all the bass and mids to zero...
put your ear to the horn/tweeter and see if you can hear something.

If not, the chances are very good that the tweeter/horn is blown...
The actual crossover systems are pretty hard to kill...

Maybe one or both of the speaker wires has fallen off the tweeter/horn.
remove the horn and see if its still hooked up.

I also like the hiss noise test suggestion.
Take one channel and turn the volume way up ( no need to play any music).
Listen to the horn and see if there is hiss being generated. If NO, its probably blown.
Buy a new one that fits your box and is the right matching Ohms/watts and replace.
Its not that hard to do once you get the right replacement.

G.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear barely any high end. Its like there is a blanket on it. I have a mixer, but no rack eq, just diming the treble on the channel to compensate. The source being the PC it sounds like the tweeter is working, just not producing enough highs. Its a yorkville yx12c, the wires are all connected.

I guess I should probably just take it to L&M and have them take care of it eh?

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
If you are sure there is something coming out of the tweet, then yes, take it in.
If there's a chance that the highs you are hearing are just what comes through the woofer, then it does have a horn protection bulb, and it's only a few screws to remove the jack plate and check the bulb. If you are gigging with them, eventually you will blow bulbs. Might as well see where they are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.