The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

How do you carry your basses?

• Hard case?

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Gig bag?

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Under your arm?

Votes: 2 5.3%

How do you store and transport your basses?

3K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  grumpyoldman 
#1 ·
Mine are in their hard cases unless they are in my hands. I've been called a throwback but my 15 year old Jazz bass looks like its brand new...

#2 ·
I appreciate the durability of a hard case, but it's gig bags for me. More portable and easier to pack into my car. I like the fact I can swing 2 of them over my shoulder whilst carrying other items during load-in / load-out.
I have been known to show at a gig with an SX in it's cardboard shipping box once or twice. :tongue:

#5 ·
I use hardcase, If I drop it, I dont want my bass to break.

#6 ·
I guess it really depends on how you get to your gigs. I can certainly see that taking a hard case on a bus or subway would be a major pain.
I live in suburbia, when we have a gig everything gets loaded into a couple of mini-vans,after the hockey and soccor equipment comes out, and off we go. Quite often the guitars are lined up and held in place with a speaker cabinet.

#8 ·
I have both. The gig bag I have is very high quality so I'm not afraid to transport my bass in it. In my hardshell cases I've recent added a case humidifier to help prevent fret sprout in the winter.

I used to be in a band where the bassist had NO case and would just toss his bass in the back seat of his car. He'd also leave it in the car all day in -30 weather in the wintertime!

#9 ·
Usually I'll store my basses in their hard cases. When transporting I guess it's just common sense - it depends on how far I'm going and how many basses I'm taking. If I'm playing a local gig and only taking one or two instruments then a gig bag is sufficient.

#10 ·
Usually gig bags, simply because the van gets me close to the gig and the rest of the way I don't want to exhaust myself either before or after the show. I figure if no one else touches my gear, I'm careful, and luck is on my side, a gig bag is suitable.

However, for long trips and/or unknown destinations, hardshells rule.

Peace, Mooh.

#11 ·
I think I'll check out a good quality gig bag. I wasn't interested before so the only ones I have seen I wouldn't use. Can anyone recommend a brand?

#16 ·
Hardshell, always. It's usually transported standing on end in the passenger side of my Pick up or in the back with the speakers. My case is pretty beat up these days but the bass is still in good condition and I've been playing the same bass for the last fifteen years.

#17 ·
The Godin A4 fretless only fits in it's hardshell. Same with the Ibanez EWB205. I have a hardshell (it's got the band website spraypainted on the back) and I'll carry whichever out of the Squier MB-5, Epi LP, or Alvarez I'm taking to a rehearsal, 'coz it also fits my effects pedal and a couple of cables, ear plugs etc. I have a couple of gig bags too, depending on what I want to take where, or how many.

#19 ·
I keep my one & only bass in a hard case, when I am not playing it.
It's a decent case--and great for transporting as well--which doesn't happen often.

#20 ·
I use a gig bag it's a body glove and I think it weighs more than my hard case
but I can cram everything I need for a gig into it as it has plenty of pockets
a clip on shoulder strap plus another set of backpack style straps .
Both of my 5 strings get hauled around in this bag they are both 10+ years old and don't have a mark on them.

But I don't let anyone else load my gear and it goes where I go .

I have a couple of Levys gig bags on my other basses they are Canadian made and are top notch as well.

cheers B.

#24 ·
I voted for hardshell cases, which I prefer, but having done so I must admit that the last two basses I have purchased are both in gig bags...they are Cort Curbows, and while I have one in the fitted case (and I have only ONE of those cases), the basses just don't seem to sit right in any other kind of hardshell case. Anyone know anyone who has one of those fitted Cort Curbow hardshell cases just laying around unused???

John
thegrumpyoldman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.