The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...an industry insider and friend of mine estimates the 99% of ontario musicians that are not signed to a major deal are travelling around with uninsured gear.

:eek:

-dh

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
David, your've opened my eyes to something I never really thought about. I just assumed that my home owners insurance would cover me. I'm just a hobbyist, but all my gear that I've collected over the years is easily worth over $10K. I think a phone call to my broker is in order. Thanks for turning on the light!

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tarbender said:
David, your've opened my eyes to something I never really thought about. I just assumed that my home owners insurance would cover me. I'm just a hobbyist, but all my gear that I've collected over the years is easily worth over $10K. I think a phone call to my broker is in order. Thanks for turning on the light!

...you may be covered on your homeowners policy. its those of us who transport and use our equipment to make money that are not covered, i believe.

nonetheless, it's a good idea to get full clarification.

-dh

·
Registered
103 Posts
ins

this is what i do,,, one big baseball bat, one double bladed axe, if you want it that bad go for it lolNone

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
david henman said:
...an industry insider and friend of mine estimates the 99% of ontario musicians that are not signed to a major deal are travelling around with uninsured gear.

:eek:

-dh
This is most likely a very true statement. If you have the all the gear in the house and never travel with it, you should be OK with the homeowners insurance. But having it ripped off on the road is another story altogther

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you're a member of local 149 (and who isn't? :) , you can buy gear insurance from a broker in Windsor, ON. It's reasonably priced.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
This is most likely a very true statement. If you have the all the gear in the house and never travel with it, you should be OK with the homeowners insurance. But having it ripped off on the road is another story altogther
You have to be careful. For larger value items you need some proof or your beloved Insurance company can get nasty. It's better off to give them photo copies of invoice etc and have a special rider for larger value collections at least.

·
Premium Member
16,942 Posts
I need to get my stuff insure if it isnt already - im not paying for it all again if something happens to it!

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I had one agent heard that I had gotten paid for a couple of gigs and refused to cover any of my gear. Now we are talking about $40 per gig. Of course I still don't have a separate ryder. I recently purchased a cheap guitar so I don't have to worry about the good one. I figure that is a cheap insurance.

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
Besides me? All my stuff is insured and the ins. co. has photos and serial numbers in my file. Just updated them a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
239 Posts
AFAIK, my standard home policy covers up to a limit would not replace my gear. My broker told me that if I wanted to fully insure all my gear, I would need to take out a Personal Articles Policy. That will cover all personal stuff like instruments, jewellery, etc.

As stated before, if you're a working musician, you'll need to get a special policy for gear out of the house.

Check all the details of the policy and discuss with your broker/agent. I use State Farm, btw.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts