The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Also, I remember a site for south-eastern ontario where musicians could post classifieds. Unfortunately, my home computer was on the fritz and the hard drive's been replaced so I'm no longer sure which site that was - does anyone know? Are there any other sites I should check out/can post on? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Generally speaking I call people I know. I meet a lot of musicians both as a player and as a sound man.

I seldom hold auditions anymore when I need a new guy. I just get on the phone.

·
Registered
126 Posts
or just go to a music shop near you and ask if you can put something up and just have a page sayin your looking for guys leave a number or email and see what you get

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I know lots of musicians, but after not playoing seriously for quite a while I find it hard to find a couple of hacks to play the drums and bass.

I also find it hard to find people that just want to play for the fun of it. It seems everyone I run into either takes the whole thing way too seriously or has ambitions of quiting their day job and going on tour.

What ever happened to hanging out in the garage, drinkin', smokin' and butchering tunes?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I also find it hard to find people that just want to play for the fun of it. It seems everyone I run into either takes the whole thing way too seriously or has ambitions of quiting their day job and going on tour.

What ever happened to hanging out in the garage, drinkin', smokin' and butchering tunes?[/QUOTE]

Oh I SO hear you! I've had an ad up on this site for a while and no takers.. Lots of looks but no interest..

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I know lots of musicians, but after not playoing seriously for quite a while I find it hard to find a couple of hacks to play the drums and bass.
What ever happened to hanging out in the garage, drinkin', smokin' and butchering tunes?
...it was precisely the opposite for me, back when i was looking. no shortage of guys who only wanted to play/rehearse a couple of times per month. anything more serious than that and they quickly backed off.

as well, i take fun as a given. if you don't enjoy playing, i really have to question why you bother.

that said, i can never get enough of "hanging out...drinkin', smokin' and butchering tunes"!

-dh

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I guess what I am getting at is that I am looking for guys that either put their instruments away for a while (like I did) or maybe have been playing long enough to get through a couple of simple tunes. I wouldn't want to jump back in to a 'working band' at this point, or likely at any other point for that matter as it makes the whole thing fell allot like 'work' to me.

I don't think it would be hard to find people to play with if I was nineteen or so, but being 37 and looking for a couple of hacks to play with kind of makes me feel like a woman past her prime looking for a date (no offense to all the women out there, but I hear this allot at my age from divorcees and the like).

Maybe that mid-life crisis thing is starting to set in?

...it was precisely the opposite for me, back when i was looking. no shortage of guys who only wanted to play/rehearse a couple of times per month. anything more serious than that and they quickly backed off.

as well, i take fun as a given. if you don't enjoy playing, i really have to question why you bother.

that said, i can never get enough of "hanging out...drinkin', smokin' and butchering tunes"!

-dh

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here ya go Jane. Hope this helps some.
http://www.overhear.com/
That's the site I meant - Thanks!

Not having a car also makes it really difficult to actually get anywhere. I don't have a problem leaving my amp at someone else's place as long as they're honest & the place is reasonably secure... but the lack of transportation thing blows.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Jane
we get together at my place near Elora now and then. Had a few jams since may.trying to put together a jam band for an outside thing with multiple bands in mid august.
yes we have a few beers, screw up a few songs and generally have some fun.
mixed ages, from 19 to 65.if you are interested in checking things out pm me.
cheers
RIFF WRATH

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
For about ten years I've kept a "little black book". When I open it I find numbers for musicians in the area along with other numbers of friends and businesses etc. I include what they play so a glance reveals what I need to know. There aren't enough drummers, but I've been lucky enough to play with two or three of the best ones locally. All this saves my limited memory.

Otherwise I network with other band members, teachers, shop keepers, open mics, and so on.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
16,992 Posts
jane, you're 2 hours from me or so once i hit school (london).

what do i do? well im in a small town, and i quickly found the musicians (occasionaly playing guitar at school, already knowing people then finding out they were players), i had it easy i suppose. once i get to college, im basically going to be like "guitarist looking to jam with ANYBODY! facebook/call!" and see what happens.

basically you have to go and find them. put up ads in music stores and CD stores, go to open mics, and if you hear someone playings omethign cool at a guitar shop, talk to them! also attend concerts and chat it up with people, that helped me meet musicians from just outside of my town.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I don't think it would be hard to find people to play with if I was nineteen or so, but being 37 and looking for a couple of hacks to play with kind of makes me feel like a woman past her prime looking for a date (no offense to all the women out there, but I hear this allot at my age from divorcees and the like).

Maybe that mid-life crisis thing is starting to set in?
Not at all. I'm (recently) 40 and am at the point where I'm confident enough to get together with people and play and have fun... No takers... It's frustrating...

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Open mic nights would seem to be one way to go. I'd think most towns could support at lease one weekly open mic night. Seems like a good way to network and sample the talent pool.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Open mic nights would seem to be one way to go. I'd think most towns could support at lease one weekly open mic night. Seems like a good way to network and sample the talent pool.
I know it's a good thought... just don't know if I'm that brave yet.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
I know it's a good thought... just don't know if I'm that brave yet.
well, a good way to build up your courage is to just go and watch. No need to get up and play if you're not comfortable. It's still a great way to meet people and hear what level they're at.

Frankly if I was looking for players and ran out of leads through my normal channels I might just do the same. I wouldn't likely get up and play either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts