The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would I be paying for pickups in Canadian dollar and how good are they? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Welcome.

What I do is add 30% onto the US price for starters. The shipping will be in the $20 to $30 range, and then you may or may not be required to pay a border brokerage fee of about $10. Take all that into consideration when looking at the GF price.

As far as quality goes, they are better than the pickups that would come on a Squire or an Epiphone.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Welcome.

What I do is add 30% onto the US price for starters. The shipping will be in the $20 to $30 range, and then you may or may not be required to pay a border brokerage fee of about $10. Take all that into consideration when looking at the GF price.

As far as quality goes, they are better than the pickups that would come on a Squire or an Epiphone.
I generally agree except for higher end Squiers and Epiphones. With Squier an d Epiphone you get what you pay for. Same with Guitar Fetish. Their cheap pickups are just that. Their more expensive pickups are good to very good. The best part is their more expensive pickups are still very reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I have never been impressed with any product from guitar fetish, including pickups.
I have put a few into various guitars for clients and they were all meh.
No better than the stock in most cases.

I prefer to buy from Canadian winders, you get a lot more pickup for your money.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
11,414 Posts
I have had several of the better ones, but don't ask which ones as they've all been and gone. Tele and Gretsch style, and P-90s. Initial impressions were that they were pretty good for the money but "for the money" is a lousy qualifier. (I do remember that the combination of a Tele and toaster was freaking awesome, but that apart they were average, which kind of mystified me.) Some of those pickups were dealt, others were installed in customer guitars, yet others were given away. After a lot of dealing and purging I reduced my needs and in the end I kept 3 Godins and a Tele, all with stock pickups.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I just installed a dream 90 and adjustable bridge on an Ephiphone Jr. I have only spent a short time playing it and find it kind of bright. My sound is set up for a humbucker and I have no other P90's for reference. To tell you the truth the humbucker that came stock sounded pretty good!

The bridge is great, I was able to get the intonation in and could not with the stock bridge.

I really need more time with it before I can give my take on it.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I would struggle to buy GFS pups again. The ones I got weren't bad, but they weren't good either. For just a bit more money you can buy better made and better sounding pickups.

I have the Vineham B Tele pup's, the bridge in a Esq and the neck in a MIM with the stock bridge pup. For $150 delivered to my door I have two fantastic sounding guitars.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Ive had two pickups from them...was happy...
Also ordered a pickguard for a strat...never any problems

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I gave that Dream -90 a good ride today and I actually like it quite a bit. I have never had a P-90 pickup in any guitar in the last 45 years. This is bright but kick it into distortion and It is really cool.

·
Premium Member
26,141 Posts
They don't have the "best" products, but they're honest, and if you live in the U.S. (or have a P.O. box at a nearby border crossing) and don't have to pay the additional fees that Canadians do, they represent decent value for the money. I think they provide a service for folks on a tight budget. And I think there's more of them than there are folks who can stroll into a guitar store and plunk down a gold card for an R8 or Custom Shop Strat.

And although the pickups may be mediocre, they can provide a cost-effective way to try out things you had been considering but weren't committed to enough to spend big bucks. For instance, would I really like a P90 or Filter-tron or Firebird type pickup in that position? Maybe, and maybe not. Do I want to spend big money on an "I wonder if...." whim? Probably not.

As a past customer, I get their e-mails, and while the "25% off clearance inventory!!!" items can grab my attention, by the time one adds on the various additional exchanges and surcharges, they turn into less of a bargain, and my enthusiasm quickly dissipates.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I had a heck of a time justifying spending $100 on a $100 guitar, it was a cheaper alternative for a P90 that fits into a humbucker hole. Your right Mark it is decent value.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
With shipping, broker fees, taxes and exchange I don't see the value in it for me.
Resale on their stuff is terrible too.

I stick with buying used Gibson or Fender pickups, and other parts, or Squier Epiphone etc depending on the guitar.

·
Premium Member
26,141 Posts
With shipping, broker fees, taxes and exchange I don't see the value in it for me.
Resale on their stuff is terrible too.

I stick with buying used Gibson or Fender pickups, and other parts, or Squier Epiphone etc depending on the guitar.
Like I say, IF you live in the continental U.S., great value for the money. If you live in Canada, too much money for the value.

·
Registered
806 Posts
For price, just Google "cad to usd" and you'll get the exchange rates.

Last I ordered was well over a year ago, and I don't recall getting any import fees.

Pickup wise you really gotta YouTube some demos, some are good, some are bad. I got a humbucker sized p90 and a set over Texas wound 63 vintage (or something like that) not bad. I also got a pick guard, wiring kit and the Trisonic clones for a Squier upgrade and those are great. Everyone who's tried them wanted to buy buy a set.

Also cheap, but UK... I got Warman pickups before, and about to order some Irongear. Check those out... They sound great but way cheaper than Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio.

·
Premium Member
Gibson SG Standard LEFTY
31 Posts
I have never been impressed with any product from guitar fetish, including pickups.
I have put a few into various guitars for clients and they were all meh.
No better than the stock in most cases.

I prefer to buy from Canadian winders, you get a lot more pickup for your money.

Nathan
Cant agree more with this comment. I got Soul Tone pickups hand wound by Jason Robitaille in Etobicoke. Free lefty, plenty of options, very reasonably priced and great sounding.

Makes absolutely no sense to pay exchange, cross border fees etc.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I have a GFS neck on a Squier build that is one of my favourite guitars. Neck feels good, looks good and has a thickness to my liking. I also recently acquired a set of GFS grey bottom 60s/70s pickup set in a trade. I put them into a new build and I can say I am happy with the tone. A little brighter than my other guitars, but that's cool. I don't want the same sound from every guitar anyway. Granted, I did not have to pay for them and have them shipped, but overall I do like them. I had a set of MIM I could have used, but wanted something different. My ability is not up to what many of you here are at, so your assessment may be different based on playing level. I like them and am not unhappy with my trade.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts