The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got an early sixties Framus Hollywood 5/129 and want to get it back up and running. Missing some parts but the truss rod and pickups work. The problem is it's covered in a lurid pink house paint. underneath is a green burst and want to strip but save the original finish. so far I have tried a hair dryer and scraper with luck but it is taking forever. Is there a quicker way?

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Latex should be easy to get off. Try a paint stripper product in some inconspicuous place (such as a pickup cavity). Most old nitro is clearcoat over stain; even if you get some nitro off the stain will stay. If you're lucky the latex will come off so quick with the chemical stripper the nitro won't be affected. Then just proceed with a small patch at a time.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Yes, the stain will stay but that stripper stuff is pretty strong. Perhaps you could dilute the stripper with a paint thinner and do as GG mentioned.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
'most' latex will soften allowing removal with methyl hydrate, available at any hardware store . It will not attack lacquer or poly finishes.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
'most' latex will soften allowing removal with methyl hydrate, available at any hardware store . It will not attack lacquer or poly finishes.
I think Loudtube gave is the answer. That's good to know.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I successfully used a heat gun to strip two cheap AXL Badwater 1216 guitars. (uber thick with that nuclear meltdown type paint ) Cheapest heat gun I could find and it was worth every penny. Took it down to the grain filler, I now it gets used on all my heat-shrink covered connections.
It'll burn wood so be careful on tough spots not to overheat the patient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts