The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Norman B20
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I got acoustic treatment panels and bass traps. But I’m scratching my head at how to hang them. I put lanolin on the back and it works for the one acoustic panel near my bed but the other acoustic panels fell off from the vibrations on my speaker. I got some tape from the grocery store today but this is the worst tape ever the bass traps won’t stay on the wall. What am I supposed to use to hang this stuff?

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Hey, I got acoustic treatment panels and bass traps. But I’m scratching my head at how to hang them. I put lanolin on the back and it works for the one acoustic panel near my bed but the other acoustic panels fell off from the vibrations on my speaker. I got some tape from the grocery store today but this is the worst tape ever the bass traps won’t stay on the wall. What am I supposed to use to hang this stuff?
What are they made of, what sizes and weights? Provide photos of the panels if possible.
What brand of panel are they?

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, '22 LP Studio
5,265 Posts
Railway spikes for the troubled songwriter decor.
Sorry, of course you are correct. I sometimes forget my audience. Railway spikes are clearly the better option here as they will lend credence to the whole artiste ambiance

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
9,308 Posts
I didn’t wanna fuck around with sticking foam shit all over my room so I just got a good mic and ran right into the board; stay close on top of it and there’s no room noise.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I have tried everything it’s extremely frustrating literally they don’t stick to the wall no matter what. I have tried 2 different brand of tape and glue what the hell am I supposed to use?
Try adhesive spray. It will seep into the foam a bit and provide a much better hold. Tape off the area on the wall, and spray a layer, then spray the back of the panel. Wait til it gets tacky, whoch wont tack very long(probably by the time your done spraying) then press the panel on.
If you really can't make them stick, use screws and anchors with some fender washers to hold the foam on.
You could also make a frame for them and hang it like a picture.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I have tried everything it’s extremely frustrating literally they don’t stick to the wall no matter what. I have tried 2 different brand of tape and glue what the hell am I supposed to use?
I used the best 3M velcro I could buy and they still fell off after a month. I gave up for now. You could try automotive adhesive (the 3M stuff that's a grey, sticky tape). It held my spoiler on for 10 years.

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
Sinking any money, time, and effort into acoustic treatment is a fool's errand without a proper understanding of what that room really needs.

This. What problem are you trying to solve?
I didn’t wanna fuck around with sticking foam shit all over my room so I just got a good mic and ran right into the board; stay close on top of it and there’s no room noise.
My understanding, from those who seem to know, is that acoustic treatments are more important when mixing and mastering than during the recording process.

All of that said, I would invest in a stud finder and suitable mounting hardware (in the absence of pics, I would go with picture mounting wire and hooks). Failing that I would think that Gorilla makes something that would do the job.

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Mine are pretty heavy, pine framed panels and I use picture frame sized brackets.

The bass traps do what they do in the corner on the floor like a good bass trap 😎

Reactions: Mark Brown

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Asphalt
Font Asphalt Gas Natural material Concrete
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Line
Rectangle Plant Font Packaging and labeling Carton
Product Font Tool Rectangle Automotive lighting

Optional STEP 6: Return panels if this method fails to hold.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
You could also find something that the foam easily adheres to, like plywood, and mount that on the wall. There's also pl9000 construction adhesive. If that stuff will stick a co-workers ladder to the ceiling, it'll hold foam to a wall.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Hot glue gun one side of 3m velcro hanging strips with the removable adhesive (pull a tab) to the back of the panel, then use the adhesive on the wall as normal. It will take 4 per panel, depending on the size.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts