The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I’m looking at a 2015 Gibson SG Standard that is in excellent condition. I’m debateing on getting it for a Christmas gift from my parents.. they are talking on getting me something special as like my last Guitar from them kind of thing. I’m still waiting to hear back and did t get to try it yet but I would love to hear of your opinions on how they play and feel.. I know that 100th anniversary logo can be ugly but I can handle it and especially if it’s a good player. Any of you guys own one? And if so, how do you like it?
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Make sure you try it, just because there are a couple of unusual things with the 2015 range. First one is the zero fret. Some people don't mind it, some people properly hate it. I can't say that bothered me much. What did bother me was the weirdly wide neck, but I have tiny child hands. YMMV.

This is from playing a couple of 2015 Les Pauls, but the same things apply for the neck and zero fret on those. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17,189 Posts
If you're not already dead set on getting it (and have tried it), then I would find the guitar you *are* dead set on as far as gifts go.

Also, depending on your age, I'd hold off on that "last guitar from the parents" til it's something truly spectacular ;)

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Wider neck, G-force tuners, zero fret nut and headstock logo. Love em or hate them? If you like or can live with the above there was nothing bad about the 2015s. Check to make sure the guitar isn't neck heavy.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I have a 2015 LPJ and a 2015 Firebird

Both are really good guitars.

I like the wide neck. String spacing is normal but you have more room on each side of the two E strings.

My other electrics are standard width neck; one is a 2018 LPJ and the other a Tele. I switch between them all no problem. I wear a size large glove so my hands are not that big and people with small hands play classical guitars which are 2 inches at the nut. Basically, unless you have some kind of physical problem you just adapt to the guitar.

Robo snappers are gone on the 2015 Junior and the nut was replaced. The logo script doesn't bother me - like why would that matter; if it's really a problem hit it with a rattle can.

All things being equal I would expect a 2015 SG to be a good guitar but you need to try it for sure.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
2014s have the 120th anniversary inlay.
No offence to those who have them but I absolutely hate the 2015/HP neck.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The 2015's are very well built guitars. The auto tuners work very very well. if you can get over a few cosmetic issues, they are great guitars for the money.
My buddy has serious eye problems and the auto tuner is a godsend for him. It keeps its charge for literally months.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I think with the robo tuners it you have a string that needs to be a little flat from standard to compensate for chords or whatever you can set it so it will tune that way all the time. So a couple of cents plus or minus for a particular string becomes your normal on the tuner.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An SG is what I’m looking for.. I had one years ago and deeply miss it. I’m about to turn 30 and my folks are 60 so I think this is a good time for it. I have some what smaller hands as well.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I just turned 30! The days of my parents buying me guitars is long behind me now though. Can your parents talk to mine? Haha

·
Premium Member
17,189 Posts
I just turned 30! The days of my parents buying me guitars is long behind me now though. Can your parents talk to mine? Haha
I waited 19 years between my parents buying me my first guitar, and chipping in for my 30th birthday guitar. Im surprised it worked.

OP, have you considered a music man at all? They are known for their smaller necks.

·
Premium Member
16,837 Posts
If you're not already dead set on getting it (and have tried it), then I would find the guitar you *are* dead set on as far as gifts go.

Also, depending on your age, I'd hold off on that "last guitar from the parents" til it's something truly spectacular ;)
Your folks may be more wealthy than mine if an SG isn't spectacular enough. Wait until you're the dad....

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I waited 19 years between my parents buying me my first guitar, and chipping in for my 30th birthday guitar. Im surprised it worked.

OP, have you considered a music man at all? They are known for their smaller necks.
I did buy a guitar for my 30th. I should post a NGD thread. The required dough was all me though Haha.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don’t think the deal is going to go down now actually... but Buddha yes I’m really interested in musicmans actually!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts