The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 943 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect some (many?) of us here are either retired, seniors (65+) or both. I’m both.

So how about a thread where we can just shoot the shite? You know, random shite that concerns us “old farts”. Sort of an old stove kind of place where our granddads gathered round back when to “fix the world” (or so they told themselves but didn’t, as we all know).

I’ll start.

So I went for a shave and a haircut yesterday. This is a new barber in town. Fist shave I ever got from an actual barber. Hot towels on the face, warm shaving cream, after shave lotion. The works! That was awesome. Anyway, told him I was a Senior so I got 10% off. $40 all in for a great shave and a haircut. Not bad! I’d do that again. Just gotta ask for that Senior’s discount. Many do have it but you gotta ask.

So where do you get your Senior’s discount?

Anything else on your mind?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Doesn't music keep us forever young ?

Never got that card on my 50th birthday... bought myself my first Taylor though !

Neither do I go to Can Tire on Wednesday night...

Still hope my golf could get better... and I do show positive signs about that.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
I was surprised to learn (via my same age sister-in-law) that 55 qualifies you for a seniors' discount at Shopper's Drug Mart. When October comes, I've got a BIG shopping list :D
Happy Birthday in advance :) I didn't know that about Shoppers. Kinda stopped going there after they transitioned to that new idiotic combined PC Points card.

·
Premium Member
25,111 Posts
Turned 66 last week. Retired, but still waiting to claim CPP. I am owed something in the 5-figure range from my former employer, but the "Phoenix fiasco" is holding it up for over 9 months now. I managed to save enough that I'm not in a huge hurry for it. But for tax purposes, I would like to get it by the end of this taxation year, so I can stop stalling and apply for CPP starting next year. The amount goes up for each year of deferral, but you have to be alive to enjoy that "salary boost". Don't want to wait too long.

Sometime in the late 1970's I went to see Muddy Waters at Hamilton Place. Apart from a great show, I came away from it thinking "Hell, it's not so bad to be older. That guy had power, guts, and electricity at his age. He ain't afraid of age and so neither am I."

I first realized I was getting old when I looked out at the last university class I taught, and realized that not only were my students too young to have gone to Woodstock or seen the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, but their parents were also too young to have done either.

As much as I looked forward to the assorted "seniors discounts", it was a bit ego-deflating when I tried to use it for the first time at Bulk Barn, and the girl said "Oh, I already entered it." Wait, you're not going to ask me for ID? You just assumed I was that old? Cripes, how wrinkled am I?

After doing animal work for a decade, I did my PH.D. work in adult development and aging, out in Victoria, and taught in the field for a couple of years. So, I have a pretty good sense of how people become older, and also what makes for a more satisfying, smoother, and healthy transition to later life.

However, since I retired from work, and don't have to attend any more meetings, I have not cut my hair. Got a little pony tail going on. The way I figure it, grow it where you can, while you can.

Do we need a senior's/retiree's thread? Nah. I doubt it. The volume of nostalgia in a great many threads here is palpable. And any grouchiness is not at all relegated/confined to those with grey hair.

·
Administrator
16,704 Posts
Just trying to work up the energy to make something for lunch.

Reactions: Backbeat

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
When I saw a senior Chet Atkins years ago, he had a pretty good joke (I paraphrase):

"Bifocals are a bugger. I was recently standing at the urinal admiring the large one while the small one peed all over my shoe."

Full disclosure - I'm not yet a senior but retirement is just about within reach. Soooooo close.

·
Premium Member
25,111 Posts
One of the nice things about retirement is that you can go to a music store when it ISN'T full of 17 year-olds constantly making loud rude noises, and shoot the breeze with others your own age...or close enough. A substantially more pleasant experience.

Chet Atkins had a terrific sense of humour. The recordings he did with Les Paul, and with Mark Knopfler, are chock full of cute little jibes, and things you wouldn't expect to hear coming out of the mouth of such a distinguished gentleman.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Chet Atkins had a terrific sense of humour. The recordings he did with Les Paul, and with Mark Knopfler, are chock full of cute little jibes, and things you wouldn't expect to hear coming out of the mouth of such a distinguished gentleman.
Pretty good guitar player, too. :D

And that's what I find particularly funny - the casting that goes against his/their type. Like casting Robin Williams (RIP) as a baddy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of the nice things about retirement is that you can go to a music store when it ISN'T full of 17 year-olds constantly making loud rude noises, and shoot the breeze with others your own age...or close enough. A substantially more pleasant experience.
Ditto on that one.

I was at Class Axe Guitars in Kemptville last Tuesday lunch time and met the only other customer, John from the band Hillbilly Highway out near there. Fun "old guy" and really good picker. There was no one else in the store to "drown" us out so we played some tunes together and shot the breeze about guitars for close to an hour. It was very enjoyable. Don't try that on a Saturday.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
…..

Do we need a senior's/retiree's thread? Nah. I doubt it. The volume of nostalgia in a great many threads here is palpable. And any grouchiness is not at all relegated/confined to those with grey hair.
Well, I wasn't and I am not thinking "nostalgia" as a main ingredient to this thread. I am not nostalgic one bit, in fact. There is nothing I can think of that was better "back then". Now, guitars are better, cars are better, food is better, wine is better, medicine is better. Almost everything is better nowadays. (Edit: ok , rock & roll was better in the 70s).

The only thing that 's not better now is ME! I had fewer pains, aches, and other assorted malfunctions back 20-60 years ago.

Anyway, best of luck with your Phoenix debacle and btw, I don't think service reps are allowed to ask if you are a senior. They just assume and enter it or wait for you to ask for your discount. Bulk Barn you say …. thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Turned 66 last week. Retired, but still waiting to claim CPP. I am owed something in the 5-figure range from my former employer, but the "Phoenix fiasco" is holding it up for over 9 months now. I managed to save enough that I'm not in a huge hurry for it. But for tax purposes, I would like to get it by the end of this taxation year, so I can stop stalling and apply for CPP starting next year. The amount goes up for each year of deferral, but you have to be alive to enjoy that "salary boost". Don't want to wait too long.

Sometime in the late 1970's I went to see Muddy Waters at Hamilton Place. Apart from a great show, I came away from it thinking "Hell, it's not so bad to be older. That guy had power, guts, and electricity at his age. He ain't afraid of age and so neither am I."

I first realized I was getting old when I looked out at the last university class I taught, and realized that not only were my students too young to have gone to Woodstock or seen the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, but their parents were also too young to have done either.

As much as I looked forward to the assorted "seniors discounts", it was a bit ego-deflating when I tried to use it for the first time at Bulk Barn, and the girl said "Oh, I already entered it." Wait, you're not going to ask me for ID? You just assumed I was that old? Cripes, how wrinkled am I?

After doing animal work for a decade, I did my PH.D. work in adult development and aging, out in Victoria, and taught in the field for a couple of years. So, I have a pretty good sense of how people become older, and also what makes for a more satisfying, smoother, and healthy transition to later life.

However, since I retired from work, and don't have to attend any more meetings, I have not cut my hair. Got a little pony tail going on. The way I figure it, grow it where you can, while you can.

There has to be limits. When people start putting their ear hair in a bun, I'm bailing from humanity.

1 - 20 of 943 Posts