The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least three people died when a truck barreled into stopped traffic on Ontario's foremost north-south highway artery, closing it in both directions for more than 24 hours. At least one and possibly two of the vehicles involved was/were fuel tankers, resulting in massive fires. Awful.

Politicians and other officials are falling all over themselves to grab attention with over-the-top sound-bite descriptions of the event and calls for official remedies to prevent such events (really?!!!). The Ontario Provincial Police commissioner has called fuel tankers "missiles" on our roads... good grief!

A horrible accident made more horrible by the news from CBC this morning that one truck driver who died at the scene (not necessarily the one who caused the event) had nine children. OMG. Thoughts and prayers to all affected except the attention-grabbing officials.

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
I saw that on the news yesterday! Devastatingly horrific.

My youngest son's girlfriend lives in Sudbury and each weekend they take turns commuting back and forth. I worry my heart and soul out over them! Anything can happen to them in the blink of an eye on the 400.

They have opted to take a break from seeing one another when it snows! Thank god!

What are the psychological ramifications when first responders go to an accident of this nature? They are professional and are supposed to not let it impact their life but for those few that are trapped in a psychological nightmare. I can't even fathom it.

One police officer said he's never seen anything like in all of his career.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<snip>What are the psychological ramifications when first responders go to an accident of this nature? They are professional and are supposed to not let it impact their life but for those few that are trapped in a psychological nightmare. I can't even fathom it.
It must surely be difficult for the responders to see and deal with horror-movie-like things in real life. I feel for them, and know that they have resources available to help them deal with that aspect of their jobs.

My empathy drops when they - but much more typically their spin-doctor mouthpieces and senior brass - make themselves out to be heroes (a word they sometimes now use themselves) for dealing with these situations on our behalf.

I don't want to make this a political thread, but the inclination of politicians and senior officials to turn a horrific tragedy like this into self-aggrandizement is offensive. They of course should look for the cause and consider reasonable measures for prevention - that's what we pay them for - but put their grandstanding away. It's not helping the families of the dead and injured, it's mostly helping the officials.

Nine kids. OMG. Let's hope the community of North Bay where the killed truck driver lived, and other people more widely, help that family cope with their loss.

·
Premium Member
26,663 Posts
I generally do whatever I can to NOT go on the 400. It has always struck me as one of the most dangerous highways in the country. Chock-a-block with impatient people pulling bonehead moves at unfathomable speeds.

If all that resulted in was slow-downs, fender benders and angry exchange of insurance information, that would be one thing. But this one will likely persist in the news for a bit, due to the painstaking investigation and prying vehicles apart, and what I imagine will be an as-yet-inconclusive fatality-count.

And yes, Lola, there is a reason why first-responders have actioned for their job-related PTSD to be recognized.

·
Registered
925 Posts
@mhammer We used to take the 400 regularly when my son was in school in Collingwood. Despite other routes between there an Ottawa, it was still the best way to go. Between that and the 401 it was 5 hours of being on full alert. The 400 is the fastest highway or slowest highway I've driven. It would be a steady stream of cars passing me while I was one of the slower vehicles at 125-130 or a stop and go from the 401 to well north of Vaughn then slow all the way to Barrie with impatient Muskoka cottagers. Glad I don't have to make that trip anymore.

·
Premium Member
18,596 Posts
Im glad I didnt get a phone call saying my family was involved.

All I can think is this could have been prevented, like most traffic tragedies.

I never feel the 400 is worse than the 401 as I see a lot of stupidity every time I get on the road in either spot.

Drive smart, dont tailgate, put the phone down.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@mhammer We used to take the 400 regularly when my son was in school in Collingwood. Despite other routes between there an Ottawa, it was still the best way to go. Between that and the 401 it was 5 hours of being on full alert. The 400 is the fastest highway or slowest highway I've driven. It would be a steady stream of cars passing me while I was one of the slower vehicles at 125-130 or a stop and go from the 401 to well north of Vaughn then slow all the way to Barrie with impatient Muskoka cottagers. Glad I don't have to make that trip anymore.
We've just moved from a year-long encampment in Barrie to a more-permanent house in a small village. Whew! A daily relief. We had many business and family and recreational reasons to go from Barrie down to the greater Toronto area, and often struggled home up Hwy 400. The past winter was quite mild for Barrie and yet several times I crept home in blizzards along with everyone else at 20km or 30km per hour.

Part of the danger on that highway now is that it's being set up for ten lanes (currently six) all the way up through Barrie, in part to reduce the congestion that Barrie itself causes as its residents use the highway to get between the two major shopping areas at north and south ends of the city. The resulting construction has introduced many speed limit changes, slowdowns, subtle changes in the road's direction, crews working on the road, etc. Likely some of those (and, reportedly, alcohol) helped cause an original single-vehicle accident that caused the slowdown into which an (apparently) inattentive truck driver slammed and created the catastrophe.

Many factors at work, and despite the posturing of officials I'm not sure there's much more that government can do to prevent incidents like this. Not until all vehicles are self-driving, something that government officials are getting excited about.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe all trucks should be equipped as follows...

I've just purchased a vehicle that has this feature, as well as adaptive speed control and lane-drift warning features.

I'd guess it would be extremely difficult / expensive to add this to trucks that weren't built for it, but having it on new trucks would be a good thing.

A friend just bought a Tesla that is full self-driving (up to a point). The technology is spreading fast.

G

·
IMO, part of the problem with big rig accidents are with how drivers are paid by the carriers.
Their wages are by the load, which is not much, and rarely includes downtime (waiting to be loaded/offloaded).
This causes many drivers to rush their drive to get another load to make a half decent paycheck.
If companies were mandated to pay by the hour, I believe this would decrease the amount of accidents.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
At least three people died when a truck barreled into stopped traffic on Ontario's foremost north-south highway artery, closing it in both directions for more than 24 hours. At least one and possibly two of the vehicles involved was/were fuel tankers, resulting in massive fires. Awful.

Politicians and other officials are falling all over themselves to grab attention with over-the-top sound-bite descriptions of the event and calls for official remedies to prevent such events (really?!!!). The Ontario Provincial Police commissioner has called fuel tankers "missiles" on our roads... good grief!

A horrible accident made more horrible by the news from CBC this morning that one truck driver who died at the scene (not necessarily the one who caused the event) had nine children. OMG. Thoughts and prayers to all affected except the attention-grabbing officials.

thanks for posting this. Prayers are what we all need. the arrogance of many drivers with their cellphones, and distractions. not to forget the employers who push their drivers.

be safe on the roads people.

a bug hug to all. especially our loved ones.

this could have been any of us. wrong place, wrong time.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts

That is phenomenal. I'd like to change that comment to all vehicle should be equipped with this. And definitely speed limiters on big trucks. Maybe not 100 bang on, to allow them to pass but maybe 110 or 120. I see you way too many transports flying around and right up on people's bumpers ( I'm not talking about the small cars that cut them off I'm talking about the trucks trying to run cars off the road)

As for the crash, what a horrible thing to see and deal with. I feel sorry for those who were involved. Pretty horrific thing that you normally only see in the movies

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I generally do whatever I can to NOT go on the 400. It has always struck me as one of the most dangerous highways in the country.

If it isn't the most dangerous, it has to be in the top three. I avoid that highway like the plague.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts

That is amazing, and they need to implement that on all trucks here. The only problem I can see is that the test (and similar ones by Mercedes) all seem to be done in optimal conditions. I wonder how one of those trucks would behave when that system engaged and there was 3-4 inches of snow on the road? I would assume that the truck would skid badly in the snow, thus creating other problems.

And whoever the driver of the white car was, they had balls of steel.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Ever notice driving on the 400 in the middle lane 90 % of the speeding traffic pass on the right even when the left passing lane is open. Might have something to do with it ?

·
Premium Member
18,596 Posts
1. Is there a link to donate to affected families?
2. Big rigs are governed at 110/112 - thats why when one goes to pass another it can take forever.
3. If people didnt drive like idiots and followed rules more closely (like that pesky safe distance thing) so many accidents and close calls would never happen.

·
Premium Member
26,663 Posts
It strikes me that one of the fundamental challenges, and risks, of that highway stems from precisely what it was designed to do: offer many lanes for bedroom communities to efficiently commute to the GTA. The trouble is that it fosters impatience, given the irritating distances that such commuters have to regularly travel, and the multiple lanes provides an opportunity for drivers to engage in even more unpredictable and risky behaviour, such as cutting across 3 lanes (unsignalled), as opposed to the maximum of 2, as might occur on a more conventional 3-lane highway.

But I'm drifting into a the-trouble-with-other-drivers rant. The focus here should be on what a barrel of misery this was for those directly and indirectly affected by this tragedy.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Traffic or better say drivers are becoming worse and worse everyday.
yesterday I went to pickup Milena at our subway station and while waiting on a small cross road to turn left, I have seen something that still bring chills to my spine (luckily nothing bad happened and might be all in my mind but still).
A lady pressed the button to cross the road on the marked / lighted crossing.
And she starts crossing.
Incoming traffic I see that first car has absolutely no intention to slow or stop.
Lady is now at the mid of the street
SECOND car also has no intention of slowing nor stopping and passes by just in front of her. My hands start shaking. Lady is not disturbed at all based on her walking. I hope she did not realize what just happen.
I already had a picture in my mind her being hit and flying...

Please, please everybody pay attention all the time - no matter if you are pedestrian, driver, you have right of way or not.
Always think and prepare for the worst...

In this stupid time of "terrorist attacks and security..." seems that people forget that single most dangerous thing in our county is just being involved in every day traffic...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts