The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any homebrewers here? With craft nearing $4 per tall (some local microbreweries are even close to $7 per 500ml bottles!), I’m considering trying homebrewing but any HB I’ve ever had is not worth the effort. That being said, these brews came from beginner systems. With advanced systems on the market, I’m wondering if it translates to markedly improved HB.

Any homebrewers here had success with true craft quality?

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I used to make great beer. I just don't drink beer very much any more. You don't need any fancy equipment either. A couple of carboys, some good quality malt extract, yeast and hops and you can make very good beer that will compare to your local craft beers. I would recommend Charlie Papazian's book on home brewing if you are thinking of giving it a try.

G

·
We got into it in the early 90's.
A simple kit using syrups.
Shortly after starting, my wife got a job at Canada Malting and occasionally brought home ingredients.
We found that what made a difference was using spring water.
There was an open tap from Chalk Lake that we pass on our way from Port Perry to T.O.
My problem was that I would break into the bottles before they were ready. lol.

Still have the kit packed away in the basement.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. How did you find the sterilization process? I hear it’s a pain in the ass.
I have a few cases of the grolsch beer bottles with rubber stopper caps that I saved thinking I would try it out.

I was wondering about the water also. We are on well water. I was thinking about putting an RO system in because I don’t like well water.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Thanks guys. How did you find the sterilization process? I hear it’s a pain in the ass.
I have a few cases of the grolsch beer bottles with rubber stopper caps that I saved thinking I would try it out.

I was wondering about the water also. We are on well water. I was thinking about putting an RO system in because I don’t like well water.
Washing bottles and sterilizing is a bit of a pain, but the most important part of the process. Nothing worse than having to dump 20l of beer down the drain because of spoilage.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can just run bottles through the dishwasher to sterilize them.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True enough. I know people do that with jars for making jam, and well jam and beer are pretty much the same thing, right?
I’ve heard of people using dishwashers but don’t they wash the bottles out first with an attachment then the dishwasher is just high heat for sterilization of bacteria?

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I’ve heard of people using dishwashers but don’t they wash the bottles out first with an attachment then the dishwasher is just high heat for sterilization of bacteria?
That's how I used to do it. Rinse bottles well immediately after use. Before bottling, wash insides with sodium metabisulpihte solution and a bottle brush, rinse and put in the dishwasher for a final rinse and heat sterilization. I used to have a bottle washer attachment to put on my kitchen faucet, but they don't work with the modern faucets they have today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts