The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working at improving the efficiency of our house for the last few years: better insulation, better windows etc...

The next step I'd like to take is towards better ventilation. Coming from Europe, we like to freshen up the interior air on a daily basis, winter and summer alike. Active ventilation could help with that and keep the process as energy efficient as possible.

I'm not sure about HRV vs ERV though. Relative humidity inside is around 40-45% in the winter, and goes up to 55-65% during the summer (average around 60) with the AC running (at 24˚C). An ERV would help maintaining the indoor humidity levels, and I'm thinking maybe an additional whole house dehumidifier could help (especially during the fall/winter when air is humid outside but too cold for AC to be run).

What's your experience with that?

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I have an HRV in my home. I set the humidity level and it keeps the air nice fresh and humidified. We did not really know how well it was working until recently a blower motor failed. The system was down for about 3 days. Humidity lowered. We started noticing static electricity when we touched things, removed a sweater ect. I replaced the motor and it's back up and things are back to normal. Mine is a Vanee system. Made in Quebec I believe. Its quiet. There are many small round vents in our walls and ceilings in the house.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts