The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 46" Samsung LCD TV to replace a large screen projection TV that I had for about 5 years. Moved the projection upstairs. These new LCD's are getting real thin and the picture is outstanding. I switched over to Sat from cable about 2 years ago. I was paying Cogeco for so called digital cable. When I put in the ExpressVu I instantly realized I was being ripped off by Cogeco for years. Every single channel from ExpressVu is crystal clear.

The next move would be HD reception. I have been told by a lot of people that it is amazing. More and more channels are now sending HD signals so it may be the right time to switch over.

I also noticed that the plasma TV's have taken a huge dive in price over the last year or so. They have a bad rep for burn in that has hurt them a lot. But you can get a top of the line plasma now for what you would have paid for a rear projection a few years ago.

Anyone running HD here? Is it worth the upgrade?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm making the switch to HD in the new year. You could compare HD like this; watching regular television and then playing a DVD. The DVD picture is outstanding compared to the regular tv signal. HD will get you that DVD quality or at least, pretty close.

I just got a Pioneer 46" Plasma 2 months ago! Burn in can be an issue is you are a video game fanatic, but mine is strictly for movies. Plasma still has a slightly better picture quality, but LCD will surpass it soon if not already with the 2007 models. Anyone see that 110" Plasma tv. Only $80,000.00

·
Registered
319 Posts
I got an amazing deal about a year ago now on a 42" plasma, a decent home theatre and HD box. Nothing over the top but I'm very happy with it. You'll love watching the hockey game on HD! There's something about it. When we watch a movie and we need to pause, pause the movie (whether the dvd player or in my case Rogers On Demand) and I switch to a tv channel so the image does not remain still for too long on tv screen (preventing burns).

Make sure that you get good component video cables (video split into 3: red, blue and greeen) between your components. It's worth it.

HD is awesome. There's no turning back. Well worth the upgrade.:bow: :tongue:

·
Registered
635 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
When I put in the ExpressVu I instantly realized I was being ripped off by Cogeco for years. Every single channel from ExpressVu is crystal clear.
Sorry, GC, but that's placebo effect right there. ExpressVU's SD channels look no better than normal cable (provided you're getting a decent signal coming into your house). It's just as macro blocky. It may be be digital and all, but in satellite TV's case, "digital" doesn't exactly mean that it's a better picture quality, it's just the delivery format. It's misleading advertising.

GuitarsCanada said:
Anyone running HD here? Is it worth the upgrade?
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. It will blow your freakin' mind. Don't go another day without it. Seriously. The only thing bad about HD is that not all programming is HD and watching normal channels will just annoy you after experiencing it.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dig this nine, believe me when I say it was night and day. I had digital cable for years and when I switched over it was insane the picture I was getting. I will not argue the point that it may have been delivery of the signal from Cogeco, all I know is I was paying for digital cable and it reeked in comparison to ExpressVu.

I will most likely go to HD in the new year and behold the transformation. :banana:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
When you do go HD, absolutely get the PVR. I don't know how man lived without it? You save so much time not worrying about catching a show she's always recorded. It gives you much more time to practice guitar.

PS) If anyone is going HD in the new year. I seriously suggest getting a 1080p rig, might as well be ready for next gen now instead of having to upgrade again in a couple years. Also don't cheap out on the TV, many of them are advertised as accepting 720p or 1080p but have a native resolution that's less and they end up throwing away allot of detail. Knowing the native resolution of your TV is an absolute must!

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I have DLP running on a 100" Stewart Firehawk widescreen. I dont like plasma, it bites bigtime. DLP is the future. Once triple chip DLP with 1080p comes out at an affordable price, LCD and plasma will be history.............

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont' tell me that now brother... I just dropped 3 k on this one. It is going to have to do for a few years at least. I am looking forward to the HD though. I need more info on this "native resolution" stuff.

·
Registered
635 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Dont' tell me that now brother... I just dropped 3 k on this one. It is going to have to do for a few years at least. I am looking forward to the HD though. I need more info on this "native resolution" stuff.
I wouldn't worry about it. Your TV will be great for years to come. You know how technology works- you buy it and then never check the prices again because it'll only make you cry. Haha.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Accept2 said:
I have DLP running on a 100" Stewart Firehawk widescreen. I dont like plasma, it bites bigtime. DLP is the future. Once triple chip DLP with 1080p comes out at an affordable price, LCD and plasma will be history.............
It depends who you talk to. According to a guy I know at Sony, LCD will be the standard in the near future. People want thin tv's and DLP's are no where near as thin as LCD or Plasma. Also, the veiwing angle on DLP can't compete with the others.

DLP is the best bang for the buck, and in the right room, does a great job but doesn't come close in picture quality compared to a Plasma.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
LCDs are all triple chips, 99% of the DLPs on the market are single chip. DLP is just getting started, whereas LCD has reached its peak. The writing is on the wall, if anything LCD will move to LCOS. Sonys 4k LCD even got its ass kicked by the 2k DLP triple chip, and the 4k LCD was the ultimate LCD Sony has ever made, but has not been produced due to the cost............

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Accept2 said:
LCDs are all triple chips, 99% of the DLPs on the market are single chip. DLP is just getting started, whereas LCD has reached its peak. The writing is on the wall, if anything LCD will move to LCOS. Sonys 4k LCD even got its ass kicked by the 2k DLP triple chip, and the 4k LCD was the ultimate LCD Sony has ever made, but has not been produced due to the cost............
One of my compulsive buying problem days had me shopping for 1080p televisions since I just got the HD-DVD drive for the 360. I was looking at the Samsung 50" DLP and the colors were beautiful but it was lacking a little in clarity. The Sony LCD XBR2 was a far better TV picture wise but twice the price and 4" smaller.

Thankfully that urge has now left and I'm living happily with my existing 43" panasonic LCD projection which has been nothing but good to me.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
68 Posts
as a former sales person in electronics,,
let me say that there are 'ways' to make a set you don't really want to sell (very low margin) not as attractive as the higher margin, spif paying models.. (it's all in the hook up *wink*)

Best idea when checking out a new set,,, ask for a direct hook up and bring your own material.. ie: ask for their better/best DVD player and bring your own media that you 'know' looks good on your existing set up..

if they don't want to do that for you.. go elsewhere..

(ps,, same goes with stereo equipment,, bring your own media,, quite often, the sales people will have their 'own' cd's if you know what I mean,,)

just some thoughts for the future

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Well finally bit the bullet and upgraded to 1080p.

I went with the Sony 46" LCD XBR2. It was driving me nuts knowing my Xbox 360 was a 1080 source and my TV was only 720p.

The colors are amazing on this TV!!!

I watched a bit of King Kong HD-DVD again and to tell you the truth the difference it very slight. Definately more detail not enough to write home about. Like I said above the colors are great!

The big difference is in gaming, Gears of War looks way better on the Sony.

Regular television is about the same, but that's to be expected. 480i and 720p are my sources.

I guess I have a 43" 720p Panasonic for sale.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Just an update.

Returned the Sony XBR2. Serious clouding issues. Watching star wars intro scene thinking to myself, there are no clouds in space.

Picked up a Sharp Aquos 92U, it had clouding and banding issues. Tried 3 different ones all had issues.

I've now got on of the new 50" Panasonic 1080p plasmas. I've been going over it for 5 days now and no issues. Please let this be the one, I'm sick of exchanging TVs.

You would think that finding a decent TV especially in the $4000 would be easy. It's not.

Also if anyone is research home theater gear check out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?

Great AV forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts