The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently become active in (addicted to may be a better term) the world of home recording. So I converted a small 15' by 8' basement room into a recording space I call The Acoustic Cave (I'm almost exclusively an acoustic guitar player). The learning curve has been and continues to be steep yet incredibly enjoyable and, dare I say it, transcendent. My signal chain is really basic at this point in time and I'd like to keep things relatively simple. It consists of mikes (matched pair of SDC AKG 451 Es, matched pair of SDC Gefell M300s, SDC Sennheiser MKH 800 P48 ( it thinks it's an LDC) and an LDC Miktek CV 4 > Apogee Quartet interface > 15" 2015 MacBook Pro > Logic Pro 10.1. I'd like to add an A Designs MP2a (tube preamp) and a pair of AT 4050 LDCs in the not too distant future. In the meantime, here are some photos of my space showing the wall baffles, bass traps and clouds I had installed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Greco. Mind my asking what you did to get the photos to show up? I clicked on the Image url option in the photo bucket share menu but it didn't work!!??

L

·
0 Posts
click on IMG link (copied), then paste it directly here.
hope you don't mind, I used another of your pics for example.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey laristotle, I don't mind at all. Thanks for the advise. Did you paste the photobucket IMG url in the image icon pop-up window from the editor or paste it directly into the post? Okay, got it!!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
You've done a great job with the room and the Apogee has outstanding sound quality, many tracks recorded with those interfaces has made their way into commercial records.
What monitors and headphones you are using?

Here's a 3 yrs old picture of DAW and part of my rig from when I was working with Pro Tools M-Powered and a M-Audio Fast Track USB and a bunch of dynamic microphones (Astatic, AKG, Shure). Monitors are Alesis M1 Active (not the USB version), Sennheiser eh350 headphones, Keystation 61 es midi controller... It has been upgraded since then with a Scarlett 6i6, a vintage SM57 and the latest version of Pro Tools. Next addition will be a pair of AT2035 to record acoustics using m/s and probably a Focusrite ISA One preamp.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Wow @Guyfrets that is one nice recording space you have there!!!

Can you list your studio monitors and headphone too, please? :)

My setup is pretty simple for the moment, since I don't have a dedicated room/computer for recording.

Shure - SM57 and Audio-Technica - AT2020 -> Focusrite - Scarlett 6i6 -> Audio-Technica - ATH-M50X

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello amagras and Ti-Ron,
Thanks for the positive comments. I have to say, amagras, your rig is really high-tech compared to mine. As you probably noticed, just posting photos is a challenge for me (lol).
My monitors are Adam 7 near-field speakers. They're more than enough for my little room. I started out with Sennheiser HD 280 headphones but recently upgraded to Shure SRH 840. They're at once rich and transparent as well as really well balanced; very similar to my Adam 7s.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
I'd snap a photo of my space, but I haven't recorded anything, so I'm a poser.

Thanks for the tab, btw.... ode to joy?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is obviously a multi mic setup, I wonder what technique the OP is using.
Yes, I was doing an experiment comparing M/S to spaced pair. The 3 blue (active) tracks are the M/S and the 2 black (muted) tracks are the spaced pair. I configured the M/S manually (duplicated the side track and panned the two side channels hard left and right with the phase flipped on the duplicated track). The M/S could have been decoded with Logics Direction Mixer plugin but I wanted to go through the steps to really understand the process.
I hope this makes sense

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Yes, I was doing an experiment comparing M/S to spaced pair. The 3 blue (active) tracks are the M/S and the 2 black (muted) tracks are the spaced pair. I configured the M/S manually (duplicated the side track and panned the two side channels hard left and right with the phase flipped on the duplicated track). The M/S could have been decoded with Logics Direction Mixer plugin but I wanted to go through the steps to really understand the process.
I hope this makes sense
Absolutely. Logic has many cool tricks but to me is essential to know the standard procedures for anything to be able to apply them on other DAWs.

Any audio clips? Demo? Full albums?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts