The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only instrument I have that didn't have a case was my old lute guitar. Since they are relatively rare there aren't very many after market cases for them so I decided to make one myself. The lute guitar is a round backed instrument like a lute but it has six strings and frets like a guitar. It was a transitional instrument from lute to guitar but mine isn't that old. There was a revival in early music in Europe at the the turn of the 20th century and mine is probably from that era.

I suck at woodworking so the fine details are not there but I did come up with something that should be functional in protecting the lute guitar (lg). The case is made from strips of 1" x 2" pine board and mahogany plywood underlay used for floors. I have given it three coats of clear Varathane but I haven't lined it yet or attached any hardware so it is still a work in progress. I have to buy some fabric next week and the hinges, hasps and carrying handle have been ordered to complete it.

Not exactly furniture grade but summer projects are fun. The next project will be an instrument cabinet to house and protect all my instruments (three classical guitars, two steel string guitars, Japanese clone Les Paul electric guitar, renaissance lute, lute guitar, violin).

Here are some pics of the case in progress. I am going to remove the two vertical braces on the narrow end where the headstock is and make a small compartment to store strings. The case should be strong enough without them. I may also use a little wood filler on the one corner where there is a gap. I may not though as I don't want to mess it up.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I lined the case with light blue soft fabric this weekend and attached the hinges, hasps, bumpers and handle. What a pain trying to get the wrinkles out of the fabric, especially in the corners. I didn't have any scissors so I had to use an exacto knife (box cutter) and a steak knife with a serrated edge. Pretty rough cuts but not too bad. It was tough making release cuts in the corners but it worked out.

I cut up an old pair of sweats and used the material to increase the cushioning in critical areas like under the bowl, over the soundboard, where the neck sits on the neck support and over the head stock.

I bought the fabric at Fabric Land in Winnipeg and asked them where their spray adhesive was. She looked at me funny and said we don't carry that here, you'll have to go to a fabric store to find that. Huh? So I went to Home Depot and bought some spray adhesive there. I should have bought a good pair of scissors at Fabric Land if I had thought of it. I might redo the seats in my truck as the material is splitting, more projects.


I still need to clean up loose threads and maybe make a compartment for strings. I'm going to give it a rest for now to let the glue and varathane dry completely. Here are a few pics of the almost finished case.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,371 Posts
Way better thanI would have done--but I may need to try this for a case for my Mandobird
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I guess we are our own harshest critics as we know where every mistake is.

I looked for a Rennaissance lute for quite a few years before I bought one off of ebay. It is custom made by Dan Lankford in the states from maple and walnut. It cost more than $10 but it is a very nice lute. Here is a link to his website where he describes the lute I bought. The case he made for it is where I got my idea for the lute guitar.

Lady Patrice, 8 course lute - Dan the Artisan

Here is my lute on the pool table where the lute guitar picture was taken.





My lute guitar was also purchased from ebay for $100. It needed a set of bridge pins and strings and a good cleaning (it was almost black when I got it) but otherwise it was in good shape. There is a separation in the back between one of the strips but it doesn't affect the sound or playability so it doesn't bother me. The soundboard is clean with no cracks, the neck is straight and there is no wear on the fretboard. Not bad for a 100 year old instrument.

Here is a pic of the lute guitar along with a Les Paul clone and my first guitar, a Yamaha G231 II. I used to use it for everyday practice but I now use my Taurus model 52 for that.



 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top