The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at Home Depot, I got an electronic timer to replace a light switch for a couple of exterior lights. The brand name was 'Defiant'. It replaces a conventional toggle-type wall switch. After installing the timer, my wife shows me some fine print on the shrink wrap package which states that it is not for use with LED/CFL lighting, and explicitly states incandescent only. WTF!!!
We tried its manual on/off switch and that works, but we haven't set up a timed control schedule as yet.

Who, in their right mind, would be manufacturing a contemporary product which is obsolete? ( I know, 'who would likely buy one,' LOL) I didn't read the fine print, because I assume that Underwriters, and CSA got me covered. Now I'm thinking, should I uninstall it, and take it back tomorrow, or set it up, and see if it works on my CFLs and LEDs anyway, or try and find out why it is incompatible?

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
It is more the bulbs than the switch. Some of the early CFL bulbs would not work with any type of dimmer and the LED's are problematic that way. There may be some of the new LED/CFL bulbs that have problems with timers and they are just trying to protect themselves. However, as Wannabegood pointed out, it should work fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts