The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some as expensive as a new car...some with so many bells and whistles...certainly a rabbit hole ala GAS...

i am searching for a rich sweet whole bean that is freshly roasted just for espresso...southern ontario roaster would be best...less than 10 days old after shipping is the goal
Sewing machine Home appliance Household appliance accessory Espresso machine Kitchen appliance

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I like Pilot Coffee Roasters and have a regular subscription that delivers every few weeks. I went for a package where I get a variety, often single-origin, with each order. I've cut back my consumption lately, so they're starting to pile up a bit and aren't quite as freshly-roasted as usual. I'll drop my delivery frequency down when I renew. I use an automatic machine from DeLonghi and it makes solid coffee. I could probably go down the rabbit hole and get into more hands-on machines, but for a consistently good latte or americano every morning, I'm happy with this machine.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
1,434 Posts
they have amplifier similarities...knobs, dials, switches; each one has much marketing descriptions to reach nirvana....

sneakys unit would probably be in the 3k$ range which is sorta middle ground(Dr Z) and mine was 1800$ which is lower entry level(Fender)....
Awhile back, I began researching the workings of these machines. It is very interesting and can become quite complex and the rabbit hole is as deep as the one for amplifiers.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I like Pilot Coffee Roasters and have a regular subscription that delivers every few weeks. I went for a package where I get a variety, often single-origin, with each order. I've cut back my consumption lately, so they're starting to pile up a bit and aren't quite as freshly-roasted as usual. I'll drop my delivery frequency down when I renew. I use an automatic machine from DeLonghi and it makes solid coffee. I could probably go down the rabbit hole and get into more hands-on machines, but for a consistently good latte or americano every morning, I'm happy with this machine.
thanks for the info. .I will look at Pilot.
Certainly after just purchasing my "fender" I suddenly see better bells and knobs and read better marketing and lust for another unit😊

I had the canadian tire delonghi unit that served well for 6 years and i was very happy with the results(they always taste/sound best as they leave the house!) which is now being enjoyed by a friend who wanted in on the home espresso game.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
they have amplifier similarities...knobs, dials, switches; each one has much marketing descriptions to reach nirvana....

sneakys unit would probably be in the 3k$ range which is sorta middle ground(Dr Z) and mine was 1800$ which is lower entry level(Fender)....
They also weigh as much as a twin reverb. :D

Mine was only about $1700 when I got it about 10 years ago. It was an open box display model.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
thanks for the info. .I will look at Pilot.
Certainly after just purchasing my "fender" I suddenly see better bells and knobs and read better matketing and lust for another unit😊

I had the canadian tire delonghi unit that serves well for 6 years and i was very happy with the results(they always taste/sound best as they leave the house!) which is now being enjoyed by a friend who wanted in on the home espresso game.
This one is mine. I think it was from the Bay during a “Bay Days” sale.
Kitchen appliance Coffeemaker Drip coffee maker Home appliance Gas

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went down that rabbit hole quite a few years ago.. I went with an e61 machine similar to sneaky. I’ve had it about ten years now. I have had to do a few repairs but the great part about the e61 machines is there’s lots of parts available and they’re reasonably easy to repair if needed.

In addition to the Ontario roasters already mentioned, I like Detour which is in Dundas. Staying within Canada, Phil & Sebastian is also great, they’re in Calgary but do free shipping.

If you’re in the Toronto area at some point, I recommend stopping in to Boxcar Social. They bring in some interesting beans and they sell quickly so they’re usually not far post-roast. They often have George Howell from the US, and my personal favorite The Barn from Germany.. everything I’ve had from them has been great.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went down that rabbit hole quite a few years ago.. I went with an e61 machine similar to sneaky. I’ve had it about ten years now. I have had to do a few repairs but the great part about the e61 machines is there’s lots of parts available and they’re reasonably easy to repair if needed.

In addition to the Ontario roasters already mentioned, I like Detour which is in Dundas. Staying within Canada, Phil & Sebastian is also great, they’re in Calgary but do free shipping.

If you’re in the Toronto area at some point, I recommend stopping in to Boxcar Social. They bring in some interesting beans and they sell quickly so they’re usually not far post-roast. They often have George Howell from the US, and my personal favorite The Barn from Germany.. everything I’ve had from them has been great.
I will make trip for the experience and thank you

·
Registered
167 Posts
some as expensive as a new car...some with so many bells and whistles...certainly a rabbit hole ala GAS...

i am searching for a rich sweet whole bean that is freshly roasted just for espresso...southern ontario roaster would be best...less than 10 days old after shipping is the goal View attachment 379617
Check out coffeecology.ca. I've been getting deliveries of freshly roasted coffee every two weeks during the pandemic and it is great. Never tried their espresso though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
We use a modded Rancilio Silvia / Rocky grinder combo for 15 years without any issue.
It stays "on" 24/7.... the thing just won't die.

For the beans... Cafe Union is our favorite. (rolling inventory / freshness)

View attachment 379716
You did the PID mod I see. I had a stock Silvia for a few years. It was good for making one or two shots in a row, but always surfing for the right temperature after that. Still a great affordable machine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts