The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

How many new release movies did you see in a theatre in 2018?

• >10 (Still some great entertainment out there)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 1 ~5 (a few good ones but generally in decline)

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • 0 (Still watching reruns of Ferris Bueler)

Votes: 14 56.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize I’m a social recluse to some extent, but I’ve become increasingly disinterested in the movie industry and even more so with TV.

When I see the talking heads gushing about who will win the golden globe for this or the Oscar for that....I feel like I’m watching news in a foreign country.

Clearly there's still enough of a market to keep going, but I haven't seen a new release in a theatre since The Two Towers (second installment of the Lord of the Rings trilogy).

Anyone else losing interest in this stuff?

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Long ago.

I haven’t watched television in about 7 years and not much before that.

Don’t remember the last time I went to a movie theatre be more than 20 years.

As for the industry and their awards I don’t care about them.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
I have the Canadian Netflix and it's surprising how soon after a new release movie hits the theatres that it's available on Netflix. It used to take a couple of years, now in a lot of cases, it's the same year as the release if you can wait a few months which I do. As for substance, nothing has changed. Some are great, some are good and some are bad but that's a matter of taste. Just don't set your sights too high and you won't be disappointed. As for music shows, RAP ruined it for me years ago so I don't watch much.

I should add that about 10 years ago, someone gave us a $25 gift card to a movie theatre in Peterborough. I still have it.

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts
We see a few a year but I dont know how many.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Netflix and Amazon Prime replaced the movie going experience for the most part. We still occasionally go to see a movie in the VIP theaters where there's lots of space, huge comfy chairs and bar service.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Zero.

I haven't been to a movie theatre in many years. Last time would have been with my kids when they were little, likely some Disney thing, and my youngest is 27, so close to or over 20 years I guess. The family lore is that I fell asleep and snored, they say I did the same thing at a Blue Jays game, embarrassing them. Their mother and aunts were more than willing to take them to the theatre.

Not being able to interrupt a movie to go to the john without missing something is a nuisance, as is a noisy inconsiderate audience, and uncomfortable seating.

Netflix and TV has enough to satisfy me. The PVR means I don't have to watch ads.

I don't care about being current with movie releases any more than I care about being current with pop music releases. If I happen to notice a movie trailer or hear about one otherwise that sounds interesting, I will wait until it's on Netflix or TV.

(We have TV, mostly for news, hockey, documentaries, and the odd old show. Mrs Mooh uses the TV more than me. We get the basic package of channels but bump it up seasonally to include the sports channels so I don't have to miss the Leafs. Our provider is cool about the changes.)

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the argument for the "big screen experience" is pretty much moot.

With the quality of screens and sound systems in most homes, it comes down to the social elements and maybe one's desire to see things as quickly as possible so as to be au currant?

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
If something is very visual we'll try to see it in the theatre - otherwise it's wait for the blue ray or Netflix or regular TV.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I don't watch much in the way of movies. I find good ones hard to find and I have zero interest in watching super hero movies which seem to fill the theaters these days.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Have not been to a movie in over 40 years i would say. Used to go to the drive-in with the kids when they where young. That was good times. All four of us stretched out in our Suburban, parked backwards.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
Have not been to a movie in over 40 years i would say. Used to go to the drive-in with the kids when they where young. That was good times. All four of us stretched out in our Suburban, parked backwards.
My son and his friends used to take my pickup to the drive-in with a couch in the back. . . . Hey, I might have been worried if it was bed.:)

·
Premium Member
25,114 Posts
My wife tends to take in the new flicks, going to the theatre with her girlfriend every couple of weeks (they went to see The Favourite the other day). She's the movie/TV-watcher. I'm not. I know I went to something with her within the last 3 years, but I honestly can't remember what it was. If I do go, I stay until the end of the credits, when the guy sweeping the aisles asks me to lift my feet so he can get in there. Some films do improve with respect to immersive qualities in a theatre, but such films appeal to me less and less the older I get. It's not just film, either. I haven't read fiction in several decades. I used to enjoy the world of imagination when I was younger, but the older I get, the less imagination appeals to me. I still enjoy witty dialogue, though.

As for recent features, I don't think I will have seen anything that received an Oscar nod this year or the previous.

I do regret my chance to watch Spiderman at a drive-in. We had been driving back home from the coast, on our cross-country trip, back in 2004. I was tired and we were looking for a motel somewhere east of Regina on the TC (Wolseley, I think). We found one, and I parked the family at the motel, while I drove back to a highway convenience store we had passed to get some breakfast supplies. While chatting with folks at the store, I learned that the glow I had seen in the distance WAS a drive-in, and they were showing Spiderman. By the time I would have driven back to the motel and returned with the family, we would have missed a big chunk of the movie, so I had to regrettably pass on it. The idea of watching a drive-in with the family, as a late August prairie sunset disappeared over the horizon, was a sadly-missed opportunity.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Let’s just say I would suck playing Trivial Pursuit New Millenia Edition, if there is such a thing.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I did not go to a theater to watch a movie for the last forty years... Movies and TV in general are just entertainement to me... when you have nothing else to do... But I have plenty of ideas to keep busy... And I play guitar. I lived two years without TV and cable, before the internet era.
New movies sometimes appear even on regular TV within one year : if I do not like it, I turn the TV down and smile as I had not to go downtown, find a parking, pay (how much now?) for a popcorn and soft drink I would just drag back out of the theater...
Now, my wife used to record plenty of movies and TV programs... She recently began to erase many of them when she came to the conclusion she could not reasonably watch even half of what she once considered interesting... And she always preferred reading huge books !

·
Premium Member
25,114 Posts
Some movies need to be seen in 3D an d in very comfortable reclining seats wife has a thing for Marvel movies along with a glass of wine.
One of the cinemas in town, adjacent to TD Place, where the Redblacks play, has a "deluxe" seating deal. You can rder a meal, and alcohol, and have it brought to your seat. The seats are apparently pretty dang deluxe. I haven't been, but our older son has, and liked it very much.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I can not remember the last movie I went to or even watched on TV. I just have a hard time paying attention to someone's BS. That is what it is a big dreamed up fairy tail. Fire away.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts