The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of picking up a hollow body electric but need more info on different models. First off my budget is limited about $1000 canadian. I have looked at the Epiphone dot's and the tokia's ES60. Anybody have any expierence with either of these or any other suggestions. I'd really like a Gretch but it's the $$ Has anybody tried the dot studio by epiphone ?? I like the looks and the simplicity of only two knobs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You may want to check out the Cort M800 - fully hollow small body PRS style. It has much more of a hollow body sound as it has no center block compared to the models you listed. Sound good, feels good even has coil tapping. It does not have high quality frets ( at least not the ones I tried) but other than some artcores no guitars in this price range seem to.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I went to buddy's guitar shop today, finally had some time and proceeded to check out his inventory of semi-hollow guitars. Buddy has a lot of high end guitars go through his shop and he carries epiphone,fender and gretch models. I tried the epi dot studio but could not get any good feel from this guitar, I tried the MIK dot and it was a lot better than the studio but still just not right. I picked up a couple of gretch's and my god what a difference, the feel was there right a way, mind you so is the price tag . So my decision for a semi is either a Gibson cherry red dot or a gretch of some model. I am waiting on the sale of my Lado Custom TL80 to help finance this guitar.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, first post here.

I own an Ibanez Artcore TM-71 (Talman body), it's a semi-hollow, and I think it's an excellent choice if you're used to playing solid-body guitars, and wanna make a transition.
I replaced both humbuckers with PRS Santana III ones, which gave me a much richer tone, and a bit more gain. It is so versatile, that I can go from a really sweet jazzy tone, to an almost nu-metal kind of distortion with no feedback problems at all.
This guitar is pretty well manufactured, Ibanez has discontinued this line of guitars now.
I really recommend this guitar to anybody who wishes to have a versatile guitar.

You have to change the pickups though, the stock ones are crappy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts