The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of picking up a hollow body electric but need more info on different models. First off my budget is limited about $1000 canadian. I have looked at the Epiphone dot's and the tokia's ES60. Anybody have any expierence with either of these or any other suggestions. I'd really like a Gretch but it's the $$ Has anybody tried the dot studio by epiphone ?? I like the looks and the simplicity of only two knobs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You may want to check out the Cort M800 - fully hollow small body PRS style. It has much more of a hollow body sound as it has no center block compared to the models you listed. Sound good, feels good even has coil tapping. It does not have high quality frets ( at least not the ones I tried) but other than some artcores no guitars in this price range seem to.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I went to buddy's guitar shop today, finally had some time and proceeded to check out his inventory of semi-hollow guitars. Buddy has a lot of high end guitars go through his shop and he carries epiphone,fender and gretch models. I tried the epi dot studio but could not get any good feel from this guitar, I tried the MIK dot and it was a lot better than the studio but still just not right. I picked up a couple of gretch's and my god what a difference, the feel was there right a way, mind you so is the price tag . So my decision for a semi is either a Gibson cherry red dot or a gretch of some model. I am waiting on the sale of my Lado Custom TL80 to help finance this guitar.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, first post here.

I own an Ibanez Artcore TM-71 (Talman body), it's a semi-hollow, and I think it's an excellent choice if you're used to playing solid-body guitars, and wanna make a transition.
I replaced both humbuckers with PRS Santana III ones, which gave me a much richer tone, and a bit more gain. It is so versatile, that I can go from a really sweet jazzy tone, to an almost nu-metal kind of distortion with no feedback problems at all.
This guitar is pretty well manufactured, Ibanez has discontinued this line of guitars now.
I really recommend this guitar to anybody who wishes to have a versatile guitar.

You have to change the pickups though, the stock ones are crappy.

·
Registered
2006 Custom Christopher Reesor Classical
295 Posts
L5 or bust! A little necro thread humour. Or a somewhat belated APRIL FOOL. Seems that the forum software recommendations are being run by brilliant dog and his faithful pet human and is being processed through the WAY BACK MACHINE

·
Registered
854 Posts
I had a Epiphone Dot and Epiphone Sheraton made in korea.
Two good guitars , Sheraton was the best of both.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Looking at the Cosmo site there are a lot of Gretsch hollow bodies in that price range.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Damn! I was about to offer the OP a good deal on a Gretsch.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Archtop ?
I had an Epi Sheraton II on which I had pickups changed for SH-1 and SH-4 for versatility...

The Loar LH-650 could be worth a try, as well as Eastman 805.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
I had a Mel Bay guitar book when I was in grade 6 and I didn’t think much of the songs that Mel put in the book. The picture on the cover was a clown burst 335 style guitar that had chrome pickups. The contents of the book and the cover picture put me off hollow body electrics.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I don’t mind the necro threads. the NT can be engaging. More Interesting than another “is this real or fake?”, or, “check out my new burst Les Paul that looks like every other new Les Paul.

2006 is about the dawn of these types of forums. I’m not certain I even had a computer then. What was the question?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
FWIW, I see listings on Kijiji quite frequently for used Gretsch Electromatics for under $1,000. Takes a little searching but might be a good option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts