The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any archtop models that have a 1 3/4" nut? I would go with a 1 7/8" if I had to but prefer the 1 3/4". I know Eastman does, but they all seem to be jazz guitars and I am looking for something for rock and blues. Thank you.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I found two. Which one would you choose? I don't want it for Jazz, so there may be a pickup change if I deem it necessary.

1) The Loar LH-280-C Archtop Hollowbody Electric Guitar $400.00 CDN.

Based on a classic Florentine cutaway design, The Loar LH-280 offers players classic archtop style in a versatile electric guitar.

With a maple top, maple back and sides and two custom-wound Loar humbuckers, the LH-280 is a perfect jazz-blues-rock machine. The 24-3/4" scale will be familiar to players of vintage electrics, and the 1-3/4" bone nut and tune-o-matic floating bridge give it powerful punch and singing sustain.

Bridging the gap between jazz, rock, and blues, this versatile archtop from The Loar does it all; smooth clean tones alternate with heavy crunch all packed in a classy tuxedo of a guitar

FEATURES
Body
Body shape: Single cutaway
Body type: Hollowbody
Body material: Solid wood
Top wood: Plain maple
Body wood: Plain maple
Body finish: Gloss Polymer
Orientation: Right handed
Neck
Shape: Vintage C
Wood: Mahogany
Joint: Set
Scale length: 24.75"
Truss rod: Dual-action
Finish: Gloss Polymer
Fretboard
Material: Rosewood
Radius: 16"
Fret size: Medium-jumbo
Number of frets: 19
Inlays: Dot
Nut width: 1.75" (44.45mm)
Pickups
Layout: HH
Neck: Humbucker
Middle: Not applicable
Bridge: Humbucker
Brand: The Loar
Active or passive: Passive
Series or parallel: Parallel
Piezo: Not applicable
Active EQ: Not applicable
Special electronics: Not applicable
Controls
Control layout: Separate volume, tone
Pickup switch: 3-way
Coil tap or split: Not applicable
Kill switch: Not applicable
Hardware
Bridge type: Fixed
Bridge design: Tune-o-matic
Tailpiece: Trapeze
Tuning machines: Grover Butterbean
Color: Chrome
Other
Number of strings: 6 string
Special features: Body wood
Case: Sold separately

2) Eastman AR372CE $1200.00 CDN.

• Neck Material:3 Piece Maple
  • Fingerboard:Rosewood
  • Fingerboard Radius:12"
  • Neck Profile:Traditional Even C
  • Nut:Bone 1 3/4"
  • 1st Fret String Height:.022"
  • 12th Fret String Height:Bass .078" & Bass .062"
  • Fretwire:20 Medium Jumbo Jescar 47104-P
  • Scale Length:24 3/4"
  • Body Style:Florentine
  • Body Dimensions:16" x 3 9/32"
  • Body Top:Laminated Maple
  • Body Back/Sides:Laminated Maple
  • Truss Rod:Single Acting
  • Binding:Top 5 ply, Back 3 ply, Neck 1 ply, F holes 1 ply
  • Binding Material:Ivoroid
  • Logo:pearl Headstock
  • Inlay:pearl Split Block
  • Finish:Nitrocellulose
  • Hardware Color:Nickel
  • Pickguard:3 Ply Plastic
  • Tailpiece:Chrome Plated Trapeze Style
  • Bridge:Adjustable Rosewood Bridge
  • Tuners:pingwell RM-1271
  • Knobs:Amber Speed Knobs
  • Neck Pickup:Kent Armstrong HPAG-1
  • Bridge Pickup:Kent Armstrong HPAG-1
  • Pickup Height:3/32"
  • Pickup Frame:Black Plastic
  • 3 Way Switch:Switchcraft 12120X
  • Switch Tip:Switchcraft Amber P2912
  • Capacitors:0.047" Ohms
  • Potentiometers:500k Linear Taper
  • Output Jack:Switchcraft
  • Strings:D’Addario NYXL .012 - .052
  • Case:Hardshell Case

Reactions: Scotty

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Where did you find the Loar for $400 Cdn? Always been curious thanks to Lumineers and Shakey Graves playing them.

Eastmans have always seemed very well built, but seem a little sterile to me... a little "cookie cutter". Note the Eastman comes with a hard case, and the Loar has no case.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did you find the Loar for $400 Cdn? Always been curious thanks to Lumineers and Shakey Graves playing them.

Eastmans have always seemed very well built, but seem a little sterile to me... a little "cookie cutter". Note the Eastman comes with a hard case, and the Loar has no case.
Musician's friend has one for $385.00 less 15%. I like the idea of the case with the Eastman as well plus Eastman has a great reputation.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That Eastman is gorgeous
Yes it is. It is definitely in the lead right now. There is a very nice used one at GC right now.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
How so? My understanding is that there is quite a bit of hands on work at Eastman.
Perhaps a poor choice of words. The ones I have handled did not feel well finished. Or like they had low quality parts. They felt like sturdy guitars, but not as much attention to details. Maybe they just needed a good setup. I don't know who makes them, or how.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps a poor choice of words. The ones I have handled did not feel well finished. Or like they had low quality parts. They felt like sturdy guitars, but not as much attention to details. Maybe they just needed a good setup. I don't know who makes them, or how.
That is really surprising as I have heard only very good things about Eastman. They make all their own guitars as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Eastman are made by Eastman. They have their own factory and don't use one of the big factories in China that make guitars for several brands. They also use Seymour Duncan and Lollar pickups on some models and pretty good components, from what I've seen. Their mid and high end guitars have nitro finishes and the acoustics I've played sound pretty good. They have impressed me, so far.

Their story is actually a cool one:
Vision
The Beginning
As an accomplished flutist from Beijing, Qian Ni founded Eastman Strings in 1992 after graduating from the Boston University School of Music. He never imagined that over the course of 25 years, the company would grow from a small business operated out of the back of his car into a global maker of musical instruments.

"As a musician, I founded our company with the hope of providing world class instruments for musicians. I personally enjoy the process of working with our luthiers and production team nearly every day to develop new products and improve what we currently manufacture. Eastman is a family business, and I feel very honored to be able to be part of such a wonderful company." - Qian Ni

These time-honored yet humble beginnings keep us grounded as the Eastman family grows into our third decade of service, supplying the world with the finest instruments. From our skilled luthiers who painstakingly carve carefully selected woods, to the team who hand varnish and age our Antique Varnish Series, our guitar & mandolin craftsmanship is rooted in the same obsession to build the best violin, violas, cellos, and basses. We will continue to provide the same responsive service and outstanding products that have helped us emerge as a leader in the world of modern instruments.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yikes, on reading the story above, I realize I have confused Eastman with Eastwood. Apologies all round.

@Steadfastly @jdto
I used to do that. No need to apologize. It is easily done. It's similar to Masterworks (Alvarez) and Masterbuilt (Epiphone). I often have to look that up because I can't remember which is which.

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
Prestige Heritage hollow body has 1-11/16. So a 16th less than you asked

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Prestige Heritage hollow body has 1-11/16. So a 16th less than you asked
That may not seem like a lot to some people but it just doesn't work for me. It's unfortunate because I like those guitars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts