The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey look! My very first post! I need some help. I've been playing acoustics for a number of years but a friend of mine lets me play iwth his electric toys. Last summer he handed me an Epiphone hollow-body electric. Now I want one :D. Not specifically an Epiphone (I can't remember the exact model). What are some good hollow-bodies for under $1k? (And an embarrassing question so I don't sound like a dork when I walk into the store - is it pronounced EpiPHONE or Epiphany?)

Thanks!
Cadence

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I like my Yamaha SA500 (under $500 with case), and I bet you would, too, but YOU CAN'T HAVE IT-IT'S MINE! LOL! Seriously, check one out if you can find one.
-Mikey

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Do you mean a hollowbody (no centre block, hollow inside) or a semi hollowbody (a wood block running inside, down the centre of the body)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey:

I would definitly go for Epiphone Sheraton II. The neck is very comfortable and the pickups are awesome. With the gold hardware and cool inlays on headstock, it sure is an eye catcher with good sound!

Let me know what you think!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Do you mean a hollowbody (no centre block, hollow inside) or a semi hollowbody (a wood block running inside, down the centre of the body)?

I'm wondering the same thing.

With up to about 1K to spend, you should be able to get a VERY nice axe.

What amp are you considering and how much cash have you allocated for the amp?

Dave

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I'd answer your second question, but I have to go answer the telephony:smile:
Brilliant:food-smiley-004:

So it is "Epiphoney" then?

(like as in "wanna be a Gibson" ? ....sorry, couldn't resist.)

BTW...No offense to Epiphone intended, I like them and own one.

Dave

·
Registered
546 Posts
Epiphoney eh!

I've using that one for a while.

It's a joke.

I'd look for a used Guild Starfire, sometimes they go cheap sometimes and the old ones are really nice guitars. Top drawer luthier like stuff.

This one is a little over budget but I'd bet it's WAY better than the Epiphone.

At $900 this would be a deal to beat any newer Epiphone IMHO.

·
Premium Member
11,016 Posts
The Epiphone Dot is a pretty good budget axe. Mine came with absolute crap for tuners, even though the literature said they were Grovers, they were not. Black chrome Gotoh 510s solved that problem, and the only other thing I've done is install strap lock buttons. The pickups are bland but servicable, and eventually they'll be replaced, but since the guitar was only $300 as a factory second (finish flaw) the extra investment doesn't hurt. In the end it's still a great player's instrument.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions! (and the pronounciation correction - I'd rather be mocked anonymously online ;)) I don't know whether the model I played was semi-hollow or not. Is there a significant weight difference? It wasn't feather-light but it didn't weigh a ton either.

I have an amp that was actually designed for a bass guitar. I can't recall the brand/model since I'm not really a gearhead, it was a gift, and I don't use it that often for my A/E (apartment & touchy neighbours, 'nuff said). The reason I want a hollow-body is because the one I played still sounded half-decent unplugged, but then with an amp and the tone controls I could get either I nice bluesy sound or classic electric.

Cadence

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
That your Agile then, the Cool Cat? Nice. I tried to snag one of those a few months back via Craigslist but someone beat me to it. Nice guitars. Overall I've been impressed with Agile stuff. I have an early goldtop LP type from them, prettty faithful specs-wise, and it's a real pleasure to play. Fantastic bang for the buck, too.

Some of the Rondo models are a bit strange, proportions-wise... some bloated-looking LPs, especially in the lower bout, and one or two oddly tweaked SG profiles. Guess that's all about not slavishly copying the originals but in other cases they sure don't seem to mind. But their build quality seems really good.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
That your Agile then, the Cool Cat? Nice. I tried to snag one of those a few months back via Craigslist but someone beat me to it. Nice guitars. Overall I've been impressed with Agile stuff. I have an early goldtop LP type from them, prettty faithful specs-wise, and it's a real pleasure to play. Fantastic bang for the buck, too.

Some of the Rondo models are a bit strange, proportions-wise... some bloated-looking LPs, especially in the lower bout, and one or two oddly tweaked SG profiles. Guess that's all about not slavishly copying the originals but in other cases they sure don't seem to mind. But their build quality seems really good.
Yep this one is mine. I've owned about 5 Agiles and this one is very very nice. It's actually quite ridiculous what you can get for low $ these days. This is the Cool Cat Prestige with upgrade pickups, electronics, and an ebony fretboard lofu

TG

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Definitely nice detailing and solid construction. I don't have any semis in my stable... that'll have to change.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Check out the Reverend's. For the money I don't think they can be beat. And there is a couple of Canadian dealers now. Capsule I think is one?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts