The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I'll bite....you are going to buff up the finish? BTW I thought that guitar was terrific to play and sounded great.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll bite....you are going to buff up the finish? BTW I thought that guitar was terrific to play and sounded great.
LOL, close but I wasn't happy with the results of the buffing, so on to stage 2 :)

And yes, the only reason I'm going all out is because it is a dream to play and does sound great. Weighs next to nothing also.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
When did all this start and who put their name on an ibanez AX?

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who is doing the work Dave?
Darcy Thompson.

Darcy is a painter who also works with Mike McConville. He paints everything, including guitars, cars, bikes, etc. He actually used to paint the Camo patterns on our vehicles and I think he told me also painted the Triumph tour bus or plane years ago. I could be wrong about that though :)

He's mixed up a custom colour but it's kinda close to what i showed above.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When did all this start and who put their name on an ibanez AX?
This all started a month or so ago thanks to a trade with @sorbz62 . The guitar was "well played", had faded to a flat black, and had a few bumps and bruises. Nothing dramatic but when I played it, and loved it, OCD started to kick in. I've always loved Pelham Blue (in all of it's many shades) so thought I'd try it on this. When I went out to see Darcy he just mixed up a colour on the spot that I really liked so away we go :) If all goes to plan I should see something by the end of next week.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That looks badass! What a transformation. Did you keep the same electronics?

Well done Sir.
LOL, sorry, NOT MINE. I was just pointing out to @sorbz62 that Mr. Smith himself seemed to like the colour. That's a new of the shelf job, not sure how close my blue will be to that, I suspect a little more like the SG above but until I see it on the guitar who knows.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
LOL, sorry, NOT MINE. I was just pointing out to @sorbz62 that Mr. Smith himself seemed to like the colour. That's a new of the shelf job, not sure how close my blue will be to that, I suspect a little more like the SG above but until I see it on the guitar who knows.

Duh...sorry and carry on.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I wouldn't bother if I wasn't impressed with the guitar in the first place ☺

Growing up in the UK, those Gordon Smith guitars were always very well regarded. Looing foward to seeing how your guitar turns out - a great vehicle to start with.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts