The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Text Line Diagram Technical drawing Design Hello all . I have a 4-hole input ceriatone 100 watt 103 heywatt that I want to mod for high gain type sound like a cascaded input , have a few marshalls that i have 1 wire mods and are killer with the correct tweeking on some pre amp value components . I lnow hiwatt / marshall are completly different with marshalls 3 tubes vrs hiwatts 4 tube stages . any ideas ?, has anyone done gain mods on these ?

·
Registered
211 Posts
cant see any of the preamp in that picture and haven't heard of any hiwatt gain mods but there are places you could add gain if you wanted to. you could tweak the values of the v1 cathode resistors and caps. looking at the full schematic on the ceriatone website it looks like theres an unused triode in the v2b position. you could potentially use that as another gain stage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is where to use the extra gain stage asper nik @CERIATONE . will it give me the gsin of a cascaded input ?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Have a look at the JCM800 2204 schematic, it uses cascaded input which is what the Canadian Hiwatt mod was supposed to compete with.
I've never seen a proper schematic for the Canadian Hiwatt with cascaded input. Mark Huss talks about it on his site, and how to remove it, I guess you could work backward to install it: MHuss Hiwatt Amplifier Pages - Tech Info
If there were an actual schematic available for the Ceriatone (NOT a layout), it would be a lot easier to discuss or draw out a cascaded input mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
come to think of it. I remember undoing that mod on a friends canadian hiwatt. he wasn't too fond of it but I don't think there are many people who buy hiwatts looking for distortion. I'd go with what jb mentioned and use that as a starting point and then you can tweak your cathode resistor/cap values to taste.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts