The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often get to route through peoples' belongings before they get tossed out. I was in a 150 year old farmhouse for the last couple of days. It's amazing what people will keep in their basements for decades. Now, it wasn't Anne Frank or anything, but still pretty damned interesting. Shame about the condition.

I thought I'd post a couple of pics before I tossed it.

IMG_20170809_100152.jpg
IMG_20170809_100212.jpg

IMG_20170809_100140.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone is actually interested, I can always email you the actual images. You can zoom in and read everything.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Certainly brings it close to home. Thanks for an interesting post. My dad's older brother is buried in
France. I never met him.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Even though they look a little tough I wouldn't toss them to quickly, there are collectors of that kind of material. I have a person from Alberta visiting here who collects and sells old military memorabilia etc. at auctions. I would suppose there are people in Ontario who do much the same thing.

·
Premium Member
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Off topic, what is happening to the lumber of this farmhouse...?
Nothing. They're getting ready to sell. The house will likely stay, but the new owners will likely knock down the additional built in the 60s and build a monster-sized home on it. 100 acres running from Keele to Jane will go for a pretty penny.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
When I am reminded about all those poor souls losing their lives in those ships, I get very sad even though it happened decades ago. So tragic and such stupidity.

Reactions: Lola

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
How did you get so lucky as to be able to root through this place?

·
Premium Member
16,663 Posts
Nothing. They're getting ready to sell. The house will likely stay, but the new owners will likely knock down the additional built in the 60s and build a monster-sized home on it. 100 acres running from Keele to Jane will go for a pretty penny.
$$$

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
A while back my parents gave me an old mirror with a solid oak frame that belonged to my great grandparents. We took the backing off to replace the hardware with new hardware and found a 1917 Toronto Star in mint condition. I had a good laugh at all the sexist and politically incorrect advertisements. LOL some of them were pretty nasty.
Unfortunately the ex didn't store them very well and they all crumbled to dust within a year

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
A while back my parents gave me an old mirror with a solid oak frame that belonged to my great grandparents. We took the backing off to replace the hardware with new hardware and found a 1917 Toronto Star in mint condition. I had a good laugh at all the sexist and politically incorrect advertisements. LOL some of them were pretty nasty.
Unfortunately the ex didn't store them very well and they all crumbled to dust within a year
I had something similar happen to me! We inherited a huge library of books when my hubby's dad died! In amongst the books I happened upon a book from the late 19th century. When I opened the pages before I knew this fact started to disintegrate before my very eyes!

We will eventually get a conservator to restore the book fir us when we have some disposable income for something like this! The outter book cover is in red leather . It really is a little work of art with the gilded title and authors name on it!

·
Premium Member
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How did you get so lucky as to be able to root through this place?
No luck. Just my job.

Once I had a guy ask me to toss out stuff from a cold room, - including a work 70s fender vibro-champ (which I kept, cleaned, and sold). We seen things like olympic torches, toronto paper the day titanic sank (one of the guys still has that one), among other things. I just threw out about 10 vintage Beatles albums.

I also took an old solid state stereo that was loaded with vintage goodies. I drove it over to my guitar tech as a gift (he builds amps and pedals).

I'd have to sit with some of the guys and think back to everything we've seen. I've been in well over 2000 homes in the GTA.

L

·
0 Posts
Not really old ..
Clearing out my brother's place after he passed away, I found an almost full brick of firecrackers.
Sometime in the past they became damp. Only maybe 30% went off of what I lit.
Still have 3/4's of the brick.

·
Premium Member
5,090 Posts
No matter how you look at it, that's a pretty cool find. A real piece of history.

I was re-doing a house that was old enough the framing lumber was rough cut and actual 2"x4" . Inside the walls was lined with old news papers for insulation. I forget the dates now, but it was early 1900's someplace which is pretty dam old for anything in Alberta. The papers were mostly adds, not many news stories, and certainly no news stories of any significance. No chance of saving anything, as soon as you touched them, they fell into pieces. I'm still hoping to open up a wall someday and find a huge stash of $100 bills......but after seeing what happens to news paper, why would money survive any better?

·
Premium Member
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No matter how you look at it, that's a pretty cool find. A real piece of history.

I was re-doing a house that was old enough the framing lumber was rough cut and actual 2"x4" . Inside the walls was lined with old news papers for insulation. I forget the dates now, but it was early 1900's someplace which is pretty dam old for anything in Alberta. The papers were mostly adds, not many news stories, and certainly no news stories of any significance. No chance of saving anything, as soon as you touched them, they fell into pieces. I'm still hoping to open up a wall someday and find a huge stash of $100 bills......but after seeing what happens to news paper, why would money survive any better?
I once got called to locate a stash of silver coins that a father had hidden in the floors or walls.

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
Don't throw them out - contact the archives, a library, or a university (U of T or York) to see if they want them.

·
Premium Member
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't throw them out - contact the archives, a library, or a university (U of T or York) to see if they want them.
I kinda thought that there must be copies of this archived already by the globe and mail. I'll see if I can grab them tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts