The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built by tax payers. The land is ours. Mike Harris the genius privatizes it and we have been getting screwed ever since. $8.50 is the lowest toll the highest end to end is around $30 one way. If you don't have a transponder they charge you a camera charge. If you LEASE a transponder they still charge you another 1$ toll charge above the regular charge. WTF this is the type of politics we want to rush back into???? It's criminal!

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
There's a definite lack of common sense. Come to Ottawa where roadways are being shrunk to provide year-round bike lanes, curbs are projected out at bus stops so that buses don't have to pull over to let riders on and off (they were complaining that drivers weren't letting them back into traffic), we have two way bike lane traffic on a busy one-way street, signs prohibiting right turns are everywhere now, etc, etc. Our mayor thinks that frustrating drivers will force them to take public transit.

·
Administrator
16,698 Posts
London is planning to spend around $500M on a "BRT" (Bus Rapid Transit) system that will save a whopping 4 minutes in total travel time from end to end. They're going to run the buses down the middle of existing roads, essentially eliminating 2 lanes of traffic. These roads are already a nightmare at rush hour. Quite possibly the poorest planned thing I've ever seen but the attraction of all of those Provincial and Federal dollars is just too much to ignore. Someone should be shot.

There's a definite lack of common sense. Come to Ottawa where roadways are being shrunk to provide year-round bike lanes, curbs are projected out at bus stops so that buses don't have to pull over to let riders on and off (they were complaining that drivers weren't letting them back into traffic), we have two way bike lane traffic on a busy one-way street, signs prohibiting right turns are everywhere now, etc, etc. Our mayor thinks that frustrating drivers will force them to take public transit.

·
Premium Member
17,345 Posts
Additional gripe: 401 congestion between 4pm and 8pm mon-fri, between halton and scarborough. Less than two hours home, but 3 hours to get in...

Reactions: davetcan

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
you forgot the multi lane roundabouts that nobody really knows how to use. cant wait until those are everywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I live and work in the city and hardly have to drive anywhere, if I don't want to. I definitely don't have to drive on the highways unless I'm going to the cottage or something. I can walk to work in less than 30 minutes and on TTC it takes less than 20 (on a good day-that's another story). Sure, I could probably live in a big house with lots of room if I moved out of Tronno, but then I'd have to deal with commuting.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
I feel for you guys that have to commute in the Toronto area. With all the expansion on the 401, 404, QEW and the 407, the traffic just gets worse every year. The 401 is the busiest highway in North America, handling about half a million vehicles a day.

When I come to Ontario, I try to hit the 401 around noon, before 6:30 am or after 7:00 pm to avoid the worst of the traffic.

L

·
0 Posts
The reason we chose to buy out of town is because what we could afford at the time would barely buy a shoebox in Toronto.
It was cheaper in the long run to replace our cars when needed than to add $100K+ to our mortgage.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
The reason we chose to buy out of town is because what we could afford at the time would barely buy a shoebox in Toronto.
It was cheaper in the long run to replace our cars when needed than to add $100K+ to our mortgage.
I understand the appeal. There are days where our shoebox feels more like a matchbox. And I have run out of room for gear! :D

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Last weekend I went up to Cosmos Music from Brantford. I decided not to take the 407 and the traffic was great. It took me 90 minutes to get there which is 135 km from my house. I don't travel the 401 much but when I do I never have too many problems. I avoid the 407 like the plague.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Oh yes indeed. Crazy

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Public transit in cities just makes sense and we need more of it. The roads are only so big and we can't continue to cram more and more drivers onto them and somehow expect things to get better. I used to count single-driver cars on my walk in to work in the mornings several years ago. I walked a fairly busy corridor (Davenport/Dupont/Bay) and 90%+ of vehicles had a single occupant.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Last weekend I went up to Cosmos Music from Brantford. I decided not to take the 407 and the traffic was great. It took me 90 minutes to get there which is 135 km from my house. I don't travel the 401 much but when I do I never have too many problems. I avoid the 407 like the plague.
Try making that trip during the week. I guarantee your result will be quite different. ;)

Reactions: StratCat and Diablo

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Not intending to totally derail this thread...

@guitarman2 What were your (brief) thoughts/findings re: Cosmo Music?
I had a lot of fun. It was a big place. I spent over $200 on little stuff and things I probably didn't need and a few useful things. GOt to play a lot of nice Fender Custom shop guitars. I was there about 2 1/2 hours and the time just flew by. I was visiting a friend from this forum in Aurora as well so it was quite a fun day.
I had read some reviews on this store, most of which were positive but there seemed to be a common problem of being dissatisfied with sales staff among many of the reviewers. Some complain they're not friendly or helpful. I did not find this at all. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. I asked about some guitars and I had a staff member get me exactly what I asked for and stayed with me to make sure I was getting what I need. I did find that Cosmos is a busy place and many staff were rushing back and forth. Seemed like it might be a stressful place to work so I imagine there'd be times when someone might get a less impressed view of the service. But for me I got great service.
I'm looking forward to going back. I'm not a fan of the 401 through the GTA though so it won't be real soon.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Try making that trip during the week. I guarantee your result will be quite different. ;)
I've been through there many times during the week, long weekends, etc. Long weekends in the summer can be brutal but for the most part the traffic has never been so bad that it motivates me to choose the 407. Maybe I just have more patience then most.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Built by tax payers. The land is ours. Mike Harris the genius privatizes it and we have been getting screwed ever since. $8.50 is the lowest toll the highest end to end is around $30 one way. If you don't have a transponder they charge you a camera charge. If you LEASE a transponder they still charge you another 1$ toll charge above the regular charge. WTF this is the type of politics we want to rush back into???? It's criminal!

Why are you assuming the same thing will happen now, years later, especially after how unhappy people have been with the 407 fiasco?

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Public transit in cities just makes sense and we need more of it. The roads are only so big and we can't continue to cram more and more drivers onto them and somehow expect things to get better. I used to count single-driver cars on my walk in to work in the mornings several years ago. I walked a fairly busy corridor (Davenport/Dupont/Bay) and 90%+ of vehicles had a single occupant.
True but that’s human nature. Wanting to be independent. Perhaps if public transit was cheaper and more reliable, more people like myself would use it. But, it takes me 10 min to get to work by car, about an hour by bus.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
True but that’s human nature. Wanting to be independent. Perhaps if public transit was cheaper and more reliable, more people like myself would use it. But, it takes me 10 min to get to work by car, about an hour by bus.

I work at two campuses. The closest one I can drive to in less than 20 minutes, the furthest takes me about 45 minutes. If I were to take the bus it would take me well over an hour to get to the closer campus and who knows how long to get to the further one. There isn't a chance in hell that I would ever choose public transit for my commute to work.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts