The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody hear of these pickups or tried them. Seen them mentioned in a thread over at TGP and continued on to check out the website, soundclips that were impressive, and reviews at HC. All the surfing and they sound like an excellent value for the price. 60.00 US using Paypal. Here's a link to his site. Check it out.

http://www.highorderpickups.com/

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I've talked to the guy a few times and he really knows his stuff. Many really good players (and tone snobs) rave about these pickups. Basically, it shows the boutique prices are usually WAY overpriced . . .

Only problem: major wait to get product (2 months). I just ended up buying SD 59s instead.

TG

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the wait time is lengthy but it may be worth it. I have contacted him regarding some new pickups for my Epi Sheraton just waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I got a pair of humbuckers from him for my Les Paul Classic and they are fantastic. As you probably know, the ceramic pickups in the Classic are really high output and I could never get any sounds I liked from them. I got Jeff to make me a pair with A2 humbuckers and I wanted an lower power PAF style output - 8.3k bridge and 7.8K neck. I really like them and they make that guitar so much more versatile then it was before. I havent really had much experience with other pickups so I cant really compare them directly. But Jeff at HighOrder is great to work with and he'll wind you pretty much anything you want.
Heres a picture of my Les Paul with the HighOrder pickups:

·
Registered
300 Posts
ouch! I got a bareknuckle mule from UK for 300 shipped to my door. same thing handwound and can be made to your specifications. I guess there was a better deal out there..possibly. I have a hard time telling the difference between the high end boutique pups.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of these pups for my epi sheraton, the wait begins.....:zzz:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They finally arrived... wow what a set of pickups. The bridge is 8.3 K wound clockwise with Alnico 3 magnets, the neck is 7.3 K wound clockwise with Alnico 5 magnets. He provides a lot of information. The pups are built very well and look it. I was thinking of finding covers for them but once installed they don't look to bad . They sound bloody awesome. The attack response of the pickups is great, it is what I asked for. Jeff makes some top grade pups at highorder, they are well worth the wait.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i don't mind waiting for something worthwhile.

so far he only makes humbucking pickups, it appears. and i just acquired an sg copy with low grade humbucking pickups.

hmmmmm....should come in around $200 CDN and change for the two, including exchange, taxes etc..

-dh

·
Registered
57 Posts
I_cant_play said:
ouch! I got a bareknuckle mule from UK for 300 shipped to my door. same thing handwound and can be made to your specifications. I guess there was a better deal out there..possibly. I have a hard time telling the difference between the high end boutique pups.
I'm trying to choose a pickup right now from the multitude of pickup makers and so far I like the tone of the Bareknuckle Stormy Monday buckers best. I'm trying to find something a bit cheeper but to me high order pickups dont have as much clarity as the stormy mondays.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
exhaust_49 said:
I'm trying to choose a pickup right now from the multitude of pickup makers and so far I like the tone of the Bareknuckle Stormy Monday buckers best. I'm trying to find something a bit cheeper but to me high order pickups dont have as much clarity as the stormy mondays.
How are you comparing them? Have you tried them in the same guitar? If you are comparing clips on websites, then there are so many other variables which can influence the tone.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find that the ones I installed have great clarity. That is the first thing I noticed. No flappy or muddy bottom and no shrill high end, every note defined. The bridge pup has a nice gnarly sound , not shrill or ice picky. The neck pup has a real nice classic paf sound, and responds very well to your attack. They are a great deal for the price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes. I am comparing clips on a web site. I don't know of any store that has them installed in a guitar for me to try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts