The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have a guitar dedicated to Nashville tuning with the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th strings an octave higher than standard?
We have an old Yamaha FG75 set up like this. It comes in handy when a bunch of people show up at a jam with guitars and you want something that sounds a bit different.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Interresting. I dont know much about alternate tunings but i do play with someone who double drops a D in a song and it sounds really good. Gotta have a look at this. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Though I tried it years ago, I don't keep a guitar high tuned and don't use the tuning at all. Not very practical for me except to augment recorded parts. Frankly, if I want that much sparkle I have a good 12 string.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I used to keep an acoustic in Nashville when I was recording stuff more just to thicken stuff up. Pick up a pack of strings for an acoustic 12 string, just use the octaves and viola.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I am interested in alternate tunings, especially Open D and Open G for Blues and DADGAD and some other for celtic style.

I read only quite recently about Nashville tuning : On a 12-string, they would take off the regular strings and keep only the higher octave strings.

To answer the question, no, I did not try Nashvillie tuning since I do not play 12-strings guitar.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Like others, I used to keep a guitar in Nashville tuning, but it didn't see a lot of use as you need to be playing with someone or recording for it to be useful - and it really only works for strumming chords. I switched to ADGCEA tuning for a while and that was better - still had a different voice, but sounded right on its own when playing lead or fingerstyle. Now everything is back to regular strings and using a capo when I need a different voice. If I played regularly in a band with more than one acoustic, I might return to ADGCEA on one guitar again.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Like others, I used to keep a guitar in Nashville tuning, but it didn't see a lot of use as you need to be playing with someone or recording for it to be useful - and it really only works for strumming chords. I switched to ADGCEA tuning for a while and that was better - still had a different voice, but sounded right on its own when playing lead or fingerstyle. Now everything is back to regular strings and using a capo when I need a different voice. If I played regularly in a band with more than one acoustic, I might return to ADGCEA on one guitar again.
I guess you changed string gauge, did you ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
How many of you have a guitar dedicated to Nashville tuning ......
I do. I bought a folk-sized basic guitar and promptly re-strung it with a lightly used octave set off my 12 string (which is how Nashville “tuning” came about, I believe). I really like the different sound this offers - especially in some alt tuning. Nice change.

·
Registered
208 Posts
[QUOTE="bw66, post: 2205401, member: 6825.....
I switched to ADGCEA tuning .[/QUOTE]

I am missing something. How can you possibly tune a “Nashville” strung guitar to that?

(Edited) .... Oh, I get it. You're no longer talking Nashville tuning here. You took the bottom 5 strings from a set, made them the top 5 and made the 1st string an A. Never seen that...Puzzling and weird enough for me to try it.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
To "sweeten" guitar parts, I'd rather use a mandolin, ukulele, 12 string, banjo, or simply a capo. Having said that, tastes can change, so tomorrow could bring a new preference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ian Tamblyn has an old Harmony Sovereign set up in high strung tuning and uses it as a solo instrument.
I first discovered high strung tuning from a Nicolette Larson album notes in the mid-eighties. I was teaching elementary school at the time and really liked using the high strung in music classes.
Here's Ian doing some of my favourite high strung playing.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Does using one of these count?

upload_2018-5-22_7-36-4.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts